mtbr member
    May 2004

Great Trips For Kids ride today in Wiss'

We had a great Trips For Kids ride today at the Wiss'. We were expecting 9 kids but got 3 so it worked out 2/1 volunteers to kids. It was good because no one got lost or left behind. Man it's awesome to see kids who might normally be watching Saturday morning cartoons outside doing something healthy and challenging. These kids were fearless, though there were a few screams. They overcame some challenging obstacles on the upper trail on the Inn side. They're not my kids but I was proud of em! Thanks to Dave who organized the ride (he's the same guy putting together the Wiss' Poker Run later this year) Thanks to Chris who brought the kids out, Kim, Ray and the guy on the Black Epic whose name I can't remember right now. It was great riding with all of you. Kim, I'll look for you on the road. I would definately encourage folks to come on out once the next ride is scheduled. Even though it was slower than my normal pace, I've not had as much fun and to me that's what riding is all about.

W.M.A.
    how old are the kids on this ride? i have just started my son, who is turning 6 this month, riding sans training wheels. we did 5.5 mile on a paved bike path with 2 little loops on some easy trails... he loved it! this was all on his "toy store" bike... he is gettign a real mtn bike for his birthday and i want to get him on more trail rides after he masters a freewheel bike (no pedal brakes)... with some other kids would be wonderful...

that beign said, id love to know some more about these rides!

here he is flying down the trail...

mtbr member
    May 2006

new to mtbr, little confuzed

how do I start new thread? where should I do it to ask some basic questions?

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the Begginers corner forum or you could pick from any of the forums on the home page. When you click on the link there will be a New Thread button on the left side of the list. If you dont see it please post back here.
    Big Man on a Little Bike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowflag
    how old are the kids on this ride? i have just started my son, who is turning 6 this month, riding sans training wheels. we did 5.5 mile on a paved bike path with 2 little loops on some easy trails... he loved it! this was all on his "toy store" bike... he is gettign a real mtn bike for his birthday and i want to get him on more trail rides after he masters a freewheel bike (no pedal brakes)... with some other kids would be wonderful...

that beign said, id love to know some more about these rides!

here he is flying down the trail...

The ages for the kids are between 10-19. All children between those ages are welcome but especially those who may be from the inner city or impoverished situations. Here is the link to find out more: http://tripsforkidsphilly.org
    Finally, enjoy riding with your son. I've been riding with my 4yr old since he was 2. He may be able to ride without training wheels by the end of the summer. We'll see. It's just a joy to be outdoors having fun with him!

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by floydg68
    The ages for the kids are between 10-19. All children between those ages are welcome but especially those who may be from the inner city or impoverished situations. Here is the link to find out more: http://tripsforkidsphilly.org
    Finally, enjoy riding with your son. I've been riding with my 4yr old since he was 2. He may be able to ride without training wheels by the end of the summer. We'll see. It's just a joy to be outdoors having fun with him!
    thanks man... after i posted, i did a quick search and read up on the organization. it seems pretty cool... i will have to keep an eye out for upcoming rides... not for my son but to help out with the other kids.

it is so rewarding getting them out there... FYI a friend of mine ditched the training wheels at 4. in hind sight, wish i did the same - go for it!