Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

A great time at the Mountain Bikers Christmas Party!!

Wow, where to begin here. Well, first off THANK YOU all for attending the first annual “Mountain Biker’s Christmas Party” last night. All 60 of us that were there had a great time, good food…beer of course….and many fantastic idea’s were tossed back and forth and solutions found that by all means the 2010 season will be the most productive for all the groups and trails they maintain.

There are many people to thank here before I start posting pictures, I hope I don’t forget anyone.

First off, the man that traveled all the way from State College to be with us last night to represent IMBA, Frank Maguire. I no sooner shook his hand then proceeded to hammer him with questions. A great guy, he hammered me right back and then during the course of the evening he put up the IMBA presentation to the entire group. I can honestly say I really feel that there is going to be much more IMBA involvement from our area next season as a lot of the old IMBA myths were discarded. What they have done for the sport and the help that they offer can only be for the betterment of all. Once again, Frank…Thank You for coming and giving our area the opportunity to hear IMBA’s goals and ideas.

Our man on the front line, Loren Possinger from DCNR. The presentation that he did yesterday on the new website for the state with all the trails and updateable information that we as the riders can now actually have a say in pretty much puts us at the top of the heap so to speak of all the other states out there. The new maps that have been printed is a Godsend, especially to the bike shops to give out to customers. Also, his coverings of the new extension for the Rail Trail from White Haven to Mountain Top and beyond was well received along with the exciting info that the Lehigh Gorge Trail in Jim Thorpe will extend from the new bridge directly into town, eliminating the cutoff. I also would like everyone to thank Loren as it was his idea to host the party this year and pretty much brought all of us together under one roof.

To Cliff Madrack, Director of Moon Lake. Cliff was presented a plaque by Chuck Kovach representing the riders that ride at Moon Lake for his work and dedication to the trails at the park. Along with Cliff last night in attendance was Andy Gregaris with the Luzerne County Recreation Department. These guys have their backs against the wall right now over the county budget mess, but..they came through it before and I’m sure they will get through it again and Cliff did state he will do everything he can to keep the park open for the riders. You guys that are at the Moon riding..you see Cliff or Andy..shake their hand.

The Mountain Top club and all it‘s members…Bwillsie, jeffskismontana, JedI Mike..Chris Keller Lisa…just to name a few, you guys missed your calling. The production of “7 Tubs, The Movie” was heee-larious!! The movie, along with the beer cups that you had printed up and the posters pretty much made the evening. I hope you post clips of that on youtube and post some links up here..let everyone see what you guys have accomplished at the Tubs. Great Trails, great Riding!

Lol…The P-Town & CDH Crew and their break into Hollywood with “CDH” Gary, Rich, Leah, Dave & Amy, Larry & Roz. Another great movie that made the night! Again, you guys as well need to post up some clips of the CDH ride and all the work you have done up there, including the Mountain Bike Weekend in the summer. Also everyone should thank Gary for inviting everyone to some after ride fun at the “Mount Inn.”
    My only request is please install a ski lift for us Rail Trail guys to get up that power line!!!!

To the Cedar Bike Racing team for the presentation of the picture plaque to Chuck Kovach, who basically helped out a lot this past season at the races that they attended. Chuck actually got a little teary eyed over it.

To Chris Stine..who put together the slide show of Frances Slocum, all the rides and workdays, and also who helped get all the door prizes together and also for taking a helluva lot more pictures than I did that I’m sure he’ll post up, if he didn’t already beat me to it, on wvmtba.com

To the bike shops for all the door prizes and their attendance last night, AroundTown Bikes, Main Bike World, Cedar Bike Shop, and Plains Bike Shop. Thank You very much.

Last but not least, Happy Pizza of Plymouth for the use of their two party rooms and great food and staff. Next time you’re in Plymouth and need a bite to eat, hit up Happy Pizza!

Once again, a great party & a great time. Many new and exciting things planned for next year and it was nice to see all of us get together for the holidays and I’m sure it is a tradition that will continue!

Happy Holidays from all of us to all of you!

Now for some pics!
    Last edited by Plains Bike; 12-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    The next Academy Award!

The P-Town crew was there even before the party started!

Jake hotwiring the projector

The MountainTop Gang!

Chuck & Tyler Kovach

mtbr member
    Gary & Leah of CDH fame and your hosts at the "Mount Inn!"

Movie Time!

Our Fearless Leader...Chris Stine!

Frank from IMBA

Loren Possinger from DCNR

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I agree. A good time was had by all. Great people. Good spirits.
    The movies, videos, presentations and slide shows were excellent. The room was filled with very talented people.
    I thought to myself, 4 hours. No way is this party going to last that long. And boy, the time flew by.

Again, excellent job everyone.

mtbr member

Thanks to all....

.....sponsors, presenters, and organizers of the party. Enjoyed the get together. The movies were really good and entertaining , man lots of effort putting both of those together. Great to hear from the IMBA Regional Director as well as Loren P. . Great to see everyone without your helmets on! Happy Holidays !
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Chuck Kovach presenting the plaque to Cliff Madrack of Moon Lake.

Dave Temerantz enjoying his starring role in "CDH"..the Driveway scene!! Hahahahaha!!

Chuck Kovach with his team award.

MINE.....ALL MINE!! Roz!

Larry wins the CamelBack!

OoOoOo,,"Gu!"

mtbr member
    More pics tomorrow!

mtbr member
    A couple more pics here.

Cliff wins a Mt Bike jersey!!

Just what Rich needs, another water bottle and a red flashy thing!

The neat pic plaque that the Cedar team put together for Dave Johns, owner of Cedar Bike

I know Chris is adding a bunch here later as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are some of my photos from the party.

To see more follow this link.

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread.php?t=412

The awesome cups that Brian made for the party

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member

Nice Pics....

......thanks to all those who took the pics and posted...nice! Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    Great time!!!

mtbr member
    Lol...Milk in the beer cup??!!

Anywayz, yes..Thank You Mike for all the work you guys put in to this project!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    Lol...Milk in the beer cup??!!

Anywayz, yes..Thank You Mike for all the work you guys put in to this project!

Actually that was all Brian's doing. I just had a little bit part in the movie but the posters, cups and the movie itself are all Brian. And I must say that it was all a very cool addition to the already great party.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mike is actually being modest the whole crew played a part and couldn't have been done without them. I am just glad everyone enjoyed it. After seeing it so much during the editing process it's hard to judge it's quality , until you see an audience reaction. It was a special night I won't soon forget. Thanks to all ( groups, presenters, fellow riders, sponsors ) Thanks for the compliments and happy holidays to all. Ride On™

mtbr member
    I enjoyed the white stripes song during it! lok
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    I was talking to Chuck Kovach yesterday and he suggested a "Christmas in July" type of event. I was wondering if that could somehow be incorporated, with his permission of course, into Gary's CDH Mountain Bike weekend.

That would be one helluva big event!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    I was talking to Chuck Kovach yesterday and he suggested a "Christmas in July" type of event. I was wondering if that could somehow be incorporated, with his permission of course, into Gary's CDH Mountain Bike weekend.

That would be one helluva big event!
    Now I have pictures of an eggnog chugrace in my head...

mtbr member
    ^hahahaha..I hear ya!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is there a website where I can go to get hooked up with some of you riders? Looks like there is a lot of groups down the valley there. I know where the tubs are, off rt 315, 115...turnpike? I've been to the state park a few times..nice trails, never been to Moon lake.

mtbr member
    Hey...welcome!

As far as sites, go to http://wvmtba.com, the Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike asssociation. You don't have to be a member to read the forum, but you do have to register if you wish to post.

The Tubs btw is located off of Rt 115, but..it is a little on the extreme side for newer guys, so you may want to wait a bit before trying to tackle that course. You can try out Frances Slocum, we have a good beginner program and trails along with the more advanced trails for the "Hammer" guys.

What kind of riding are you used to doing now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    thank you for the info, I'll check your site out. The riding I do is pretty much dirt paths and trails. Like I said I'm pretty new. I'm a pretty big guy too and my one friend suggested a "twenty 9'er" or something like that, said they are easier to ride for big person. I see you own a shop, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    ^I apologize for being late with my reply, Been working at Sno Mtn the past 40 hours. I was going to suggest that you check out the 29'er forum on this site but it looks like you already did so.

We do sell Redline & Haro 29'ers, some of the new Redline models are really nice. Who knows....this is a Christmas Thread, maybe Santa will bring you one!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I see that Red Line has a model out called the D660. I was on their website last night. Also they have a 600 series that looks nice.

Someone on the 29 website here recommended a nice bike but it was a bit pricey, around $2600. I'm looking to spend pretty much no more than $1000, maybe a little more but since it's my first real bike and from what I have seen many start to go up in quality and price with their bikes before a year is out, so I want to take small steps at first.
    I didn't see any prices listed, can you by any chance let me know how much I might be looking at for either of those bikes I mentioned? Thank You, and let me wish you a Happy Christmas.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainbikerTrek
    Is there a website where I can go to get hooked up with some of you riders? Looks like there is a lot of groups down the valley there. I know where the tubs are, off rt 315, 115...turnpike? I've been to the state park a few times..nice trails, never been to Moon lake.
    Ya, here:
    http://nepmtba.piczo.com

Moon Lake located in Hunlock Creek Pa up the road from Plymouth. If your coming from Tunkhannock better to use Rt 118 to Rt 29 and watch for signs. 25 plus miles of new trails built in the last two years. Including one of the only parks to allow night riding and no hunting.Trails from Grass paths to extreme tech, with lot's of different skill level trails to keep everyone happy. Riding every Wednesday night at 6 PM meet at Main Gate Lights required this time of year.

Frances Slocum SP Carverton Rd off the Dallas HIghway 5.5 miles of trails. All pretty much all the same skill level with small elevation gains and there is hunting and no night riding right now.

Seven Tubs off Rt 115 more difficult trails with lots of rocks to hop 6.6 miles.

"All" NEPA trail info can be found here on the NEPMTBA sticky on MTBR Pa forum on the top of the page: 2008 NEPMTBA Trail Report (new feature)

Some full line larger bike shops with lots of mt bike knowledge and have lots of bikes in stock are:

http://www.atownbikes.com/

http://www.cedarbike.com/

http://www.mainbikes.com/index.asp

Glad to show you around any trails in the area, Doesn't matter if your beginner or pro what matters is riding. If you would like to added to our email ride list just shoot me an email at nepmtba@yahoo.com
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 12-22-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Did you ever have ham?

Welcome, MountainbikerTrek

Quote Originally Posted by MountainbikerTrek
    I see that Red Line has a model out called the D660. I was on their website last night. Also they have a 600 series that looks nice.

Someone on the 29 website here recommended a nice bike but it was a bit pricey, around $2600. I'm looking to spend pretty much no more than $1000, maybe a little more but since it's my first real bike and from what I have seen many start to go up in quality and price with their bikes before a year is out, so I want to take small steps at first.
    I didn't see any prices listed, can you by any chance let me know how much I might be looking at for either of those bikes I mentioned? Thank You, and let me wish you a Happy Christmas.
    Hello and welcome to MTBR and mountain biking! I just started riding earlier this summer and I must say it is the best thing I have done. Lost weight, got stronger, quit smoking, made lots of great new friends! I ride a 29r, they are very newbie friendly as they roll over things much easier. One of the best deals I have seen on a new 29r can be found at Cedar Bike in Scranton. It is the Specialized Hardrock. Go up and see Dave at Cedar he will get you on a Hardrock for well below your budget!!! Enjoy and I hope to meet you on the trails and I look forward to hearing about all your experiences!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast