mtbr member

Good job! Great Day! Subaru/IMBA Workday, Moosic Mountain (9/25) Ton's o' pics

I just wanted to post up a little article along with some pics of what has turned out to be a rewarding day for trail advocacy and just a chance for the major groups that play such an important part in trail work in their respective areas to meet up and work together, share idea's, and also learn some new idea's with the help of the IMBA Trail Care Crew.

The Nature Conservatory along with Hubbard Bike Club hosted the IMBA Trail Care Work seminar this past Saturday (9/25) at the Nature Conservatory's Moosic Mountain area. Of course we had Hubbard's great crew, National Land Trust was there as well, WVMTBA, groups from the Lackawanna State Forest were present, we even had members from what was known as the Lackawanna Bike Club..and a host of volunteers.

Representing IMBA were Chris & Leslie Kehmeier, who have what most of us would consider “THE JOB”...travelling throughout the East Coast region each weekend putting on these work seminars, showing different techniques in building, repairing and maintaining our trail network.

After about 3 hours of classroom work.....yes, I said classroom work, on a Saturday no less, we set out to the Nature Conservatory's one area that needed some major work in reconstructing a washed out area that needed some help in a big way. Of all the things covered, which made me feel at times like I was sitting in Math class once again, one of the processes that we were going to put to work was the 3 forms of “Armoring”, Raised Thread, Stone Pitching and Flagstone. We've all done it....and hated it... but now knowing how to do it the right way will make it all that much more easier to do.

The one trail that we worked on, "My Brothers Trail"..built by Gene Katapski's brother Pete.. was going to have all 3 processes done to it and it was great being able to go from section to section and having Chris & Leslie right there with us. Yeah, not only do they do the talking..they also do the work as well, digging, carrying rocks...”hands-on” instructors pretty much. After it was all done, those that ride up there have one helluva great trail, repaired, tuned and very very exciting to ride.

A lot of people pulled together to make this happen and I want to personally thank Fahn for including our group. Representing WVMTBA were myself, Chris Stine and Jeddi Mike. Also, to Jenny, the Grand Pubah of Nature Conservatory, a great job you have been doing up there and I am glad to have met you, and for that matter, anyone else up there yesterday that put time & effort into what is by far one of the great Mountain Bike Trail projects in the region.

Also to the IMBA Crew Chris & Leslie. Thank You for the time and dedication. Our group alone picked up a ton of info and we will definitly pass on the information and application to our park manager at Frances Slocum in hopes that we can land one of these seminars down here.

Great job everyone! Now for a host of pics!!:

I want the car!

Jeddi Mike, Stine, Scott & Laura

Woohoo..I won a Tshirt! Pays to stay awake in class!!

Meeting up at Nature Conservatory

Group Mug Shot

Gene Katapski, Fahn, Chris & Leslie and Jenny

Now that's a work convoy!

More troops walking in

Team Work!

Rocks!

Anthony...very very good at pitch armoring!

Last edited by Plains Bike; 09-26-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member

Bravo...Nice Going!

Looks like it was a great IMBA Clinic. And the weather cooperated too. Thanks for posting the pictures and story.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Yes it was, and as far as the weather, days like this you never want them to end!

You're welcome!
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What a great day, so informative and backbreaking...thank you for posting the pictures and hats off to all that were involved that day!

mtbr member

The short story...

Ok, I finally have some time to write back.

Leslie and Chris are amazing. If you get the chance to meet them, DO!

Thanks to everyone who came out and helped. We had 32 people overall between the classroom and the on-trail seminar.

Here's a link to Leslie's blog- http://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=824

Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member

The long story...

I was asked about 3 weeks ago by Jenny Case (of The Nature Conservancy) if I could take over the IMBA Trail Crew visit. I've set up ski trips, bike trips and trail work days in the past, but not for actual guest. I figured I'd do it.

The weeks before,

The emails started to go out about this event. Luckily, Ed Giombetti saw the email about finding a place to host the conference part of the IMBA Trail Crew visit and came to my workplace the following day. He mentioned that his cousin works at the 911 center and they had some conference centers available to the public. Within two days, we had a place for the conference! THANK YOU, ED! That Sunday, Jenny and I met at a diner in Mt. Cobb to talk about what we needed to do. I wasn't too organized when it came to my emails as I found out on Saturday...

Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010
    We met at Moosic Mountain at 5pm for a ride to see what we had to do. This was my first meeting with Chris and Leslie. Let me just get this out of the way- Chris is about 6'-8" tall. John Grabowski from Hubbard, John Mercuri, Jenny Case and several others headed out with us for the ride. We showed them Blueberry and the part I started to connect Waterfall and Blueberry. As we started to head down to the next part that I thought could use some work, I figured it would be a good idea to get Chris and Leslie's input on the Roman Road that we put in on Stonehenge. The work was complimented, but I knew we needed to extend it both directions. Both agreed and thought it would be a great place to do the class work at due to the resources being so close. As we were talking about the area, about 30 riders in 3 groups stopped to welcome Leslie and Chris. All but 3(?) were wearing Hubbards jersey! As it started to get late, we decided to head out to Conglomerate and see if we had enough daylight to see the area by O'Connors dam. We didn't so we planned on visiting it tomorrow and get a look at the muddy section.

AJ's anyone? Sure! Post ride, we went to AJ's Club Soda and took up the back of the restaurant/bar. About 40 people showed up for this event. As beer, water, soda and food was being ordered, stories and experience of both trailbuilding and riding were being shared with our newest members of Hubbard Bike Club. They were introduced to the other side of Hubbard... The drinking!

Friday, Sept. 24, 2010
    I met Leslie and Chris, and John McGurl at the 911 center at 10:30 and took them out to the O'Connors dam trail. Though they know it needs work, the resources are too far away to make a session out of it. So we decided the section of Stonehenge was where the work would be done. That thing I mentioned about the emails and not being organized? Yeah, I forgot that Gene Katapski didn't know what was going on. Since most emails are between Jenny, Gene and myself, I thought Gene knew about the 911 center. He didn't. Mainly due to Jenny and myself meeting in person several times. As he sat at the upper gate waiting for us, we came in from the lower gate. Gene sat there for some time and never saw us. Luckily, John Mercuri saw him and told him about the meeting on Saturday being at the 911 center and not Hubbard. This was 100% my fault!

John, Leslie, Chris and myself drove to the section that we decided to do the work at and pin flagged the area. They explained that we'd do three different types of armoring- Pitching, Flag-stoning, and Raised Tread.

Friday night, John Grabowski wanted to invite Leslie and Chris up to The Barn. I called them and told them to bring the bikes and I'd lead them to Hubbard. We did a short ride and ordered some pizza and hoagies from up the road. When we got back, the food wasn't there yet, so we decided to toss in the Hubbard documentary "No Typical Thursday" and let them see who HBC is. Karen (Johns wife) brought the food down and was introduced. Chris said "I can't believe this place." followed by "The closest is in Downiville California, but it doesn't even come close!" No offense was meant I'm sure because, as always, John over does it for us.

Saturday, Sept. 25th, 2010
    Well, it's finally here. Did I order enough hoagies? How about beverages and chips? What do I do for breakfast? I headed back up to The Barn to exchange some tools for others. Followed by stopping at Dunkin' Donuts to grab breakfast. Is 5 dozen enough? We got there at 8am and the conference center was in mint condition. Leslie and Chris set up their computer and presentation. Kevin, Chris Stine and Mike (I think I kept calling Mike, Kevin. Sorry Mike) from WVMTBA were present as was Rick Tralies from National Lands Trust. They're like The Nature Conservancy. They purchase to protect the land. Jenny Case from The Nature Conservancy was there and so was Wes Keller from DCNR. Tommy and Chrissy Ludka were there and bunch of "Hubbardites" also. The class is set up VERY well and the layout is great. The pop quizzes are cool. Kevin and myself won a T-shirt and hat! Some people could only make the class. Others could only make the work session. That's fine by us. Any part of the learning is going to be a great experience! Lunch worked out very well! A special thanks to Wall St. Deli for delivering the lunch. A special thanks goes out to Hubbard Bike Club, Keystone Propane and Jeff Feather at Lincoln Financial for breakfast and lunch. We had some leftovers for sure, but they came to use later.

We gathered up at the main gate and had several vehicles drive in. 22 workers in all showed up! We broke into 3 groups and extended the Roman Road on Stonehenge. The first step is digging out the roots and organic material (or "matting") to get down to solid ground in all three areas. At Moosic, it's about 4-6" deep. If you don't do this, the organic will die and erode. The base your work is on will become loose and your work will literally sink.

The first section was Pitching. This is where you use an "anchor stone" at both ends or every 8 feet or so. In between the anchors, "the stones is stood up like books on a shelf" as Leslie put it. Chris, Maureen, Mary, Mary's son Anthony, Gene and possibly Ed Giombetti and John Mercuri built this section up. After the rocks are in place and locked together they poured a lot of dirt and aggregate into the gaps and rub it in with your hands to get everything to lock.

The middle was the WVMTBA crew, Jenny, ScottAndLaura, Neil and Chris was supervising them also. This section was the Flag-stoning (or Flagstone Paving). Taking big rocks and locking them together is key. If there's any small gaps, you use fillers to tighten everything up. After that you use aggregate to fill in between any spaces and rub it in to the gaps. This sinks down and locks everything together.

Up top was Joe, Jay 1-9, John, Josh, Tom, Chrissy, Brian, Rick, Leslie and me. We did a Raised Tread turn. We put bigger rocks on the outside of the turn and built them up higher. Smaller rocks went inside and a lot of filler rocks to keep the tread at a consistent pitch to the inside. Where the bank turn starts to end, we reversed the pitch of the tread to allow drainage. At both ends there are anchors. Lastly, we dumped dirt on top, raked it, and packed it down flat. This causes the dirt to go in between the fillers and lock everything together. Every time a bucket is put down you need to pack it. This keeps it falling into the cracks and locking it up.

We were encouraged to check out the other areas and see how they were doing their sections. After we got done with all the work, we each explained how we did what we did.

22 people. 4hrs of labor each. 88 man hours. 50 feet of trail that's reinforced and strong enough to hold up to hikers, riders, horses and army tanks.

Those extra doughnuts and hoagies? They disappeared when we got back to the vehicles. I think there was one box of doughnuts left and Brian took those.

A really special thanks to EVERYONE who came out and helped. I apologize if, by chance I left a name off here. It's been a long weekend and a great one too!

The ones who deserve the spotlight.

Jenny Case for letting riders on TNC's property for riding and getting IMBA up to Moosic.
    Leslie and Chris from IMBA for being so great to work with. If you get a chance to meet them, DO!
    Ed Giombetti for getting us the 911 center.
    Gene Katapski for not killing me over my lack of email organization and 3 years of trailbuilding with me at Moosic.
    Rick Tralies and Wes Keller for coming too. This will inform them that the riders do care too and hopefully create a close relationship between these user groups/land managers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bravo to all involved, Rob, without you and Gene those trails on Moosic wouldn't be there, Nature Convervancy and Jenny, thank you, thank you, thank you for saving such a beautiful area from building another unneeded industrial park. To IMBA for even thinking of choosing our little area to come and teach, help and ride. We have such a great resource of parks in our area to ride and maintain....IF YOU RIDE THEM COME OUT AND HELP MAINTAIN THEM!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are some more pictures from the days event.

To see more follow this link.

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread....ted=1#post2767

Rob you are correct his name is Mike.

Thank you Rob and everyone for the great day.

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know Mike from other trail work days at Moosic and from riding Hubbard. But I think I may have called Mike, Kevin a couple times that day. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Don't worry about the name thing - I've done the same thing too many times to count. Most often with bike people, though, because they usually look so different without a helmet.

Great write-ups and photos!! It was a wonderful day and I learned alot of trail-building stuff that I never even thought about. And trail work doesn't even seem like work when you're with such an enthusiastic group of people. Good times!!

Rob, you thanked me and everyone for coming up but I really need to thank YOU for putting this thing together and inviting me be a part of it.

Mike