sambabiker.com

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Governor Dick Trail Use Changes

Here is the info on the trail use changes at Governor Dick:

Governor Dick Trail Changes

Several trails on the Governor Dick property are going to be posted as “Foot Travel Only” sometime this spring. The affected trails are 1, 2, 4, 12, and part of 13.(see map)

The reason for these closures is that the SICO Foundation, the entity in charge of the trust left by Clarence Shock, has determined that in order to be in compliance with the terms of the deed there must be some “Foot Travel Only” trails.

However, because the Governor Dick Board recognizes the contributions that mountain bikers have made to the park, a proposal for a new trail was approved to replace what is being lost. This new trail is to be made on the undeveloped southern side of the mountain and has the potential to be a very technical and challenging addition. On paper it looks like it will be up to 3.5 miles of new trail. Of course, it has to be built. This will be up to SAMBA and local volunteers. We are planning to get it flagged out in the next several weeks.

The future mountain bike access on the Governor Dick property depends on our actions. Please refrain from riding on the Foot Travel only trails.

Here some more info

•Foundation (co-owner of the park) wanted a foot travel only trail that extends from one end of the park to the other. They express concern with the deed of trust that includes the statement: “the trust shall be for the enjoyment of persons traveling on foot; no automobile, vehicle, or mobile machinery shall be allowed to move or travel upon roads on the land hereby conveyed…”
    •This is not a result of user conflict.
    •This was the best comprise that we could work out. More trails could have been lost.
    •These trails will be closing sometime in May.

I can answer question as time allows.

Sorry for the bad news.

Brian

scan.jpg
    Last edited by barnold74; 03-29-2007 at 08:34 PM.

smartass
    Wow, no riding to the tower and down the backside to the Horseshoe Trail. That sucks. Trail 12 and that part of 13 were great riding.

Will the new trail connect to the Horshoe Trail? Will a loop be possible?

I'll be there to help build!

siv
    mtbr member
    This really sucks. Why make the switchback a walking trail, not one I would wanna walk on. I'll definetely help build new stuff, I ride with about four or five guys that would help too. Let us know whats goin down so we can get some riding in this summer.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I've been wanting to make a trail through that exact spot for years. So, when you start operation def get ahold of us at GretnaBikes!

sambabiker.com
    I’ll try to keep all of you posted on when we will start the new trail. I know the layout is being worked on and if any of you have been back there you know that it will be a challenge getting though the boulder fields. Information on the workdays will be posted via the SAMBA e-mail list and on the website (www.sambabiker.com). If you are not a member please consider. You can join for free or it is 10 bucks as a supporting member. Your money goes back into the trails by paying for tools (the right ones make a difference!), energy bar for workdays, and supplies (stamps, membership card ect.). Plus we (SAMBA) can actually say how many bikers we represent (helps with the politics). I have the application attached.
    I won’t tell you guys what to do, but please keep this in mind in regards to the new trail rules. There are fewer and fewer legal places to ride in this area. I fear that if and when riders are caught on the posted trails the park officials will ban us completely.

Brian Arnold
    SAMBA Trail Coordinator
    Attached Files Attached Files

sambabiker.com

Update

Gretna Trail Update

Progress on the proposed south side trail is underway. Most of the path for the new trail is marked with orange and pink ribbon. Matt & Desiree McElheny and myself are going out on Monday to finish the flagging. We have had a couple of difficult areas to contend with do to extreme amounts of rocks (finding a way through was not easy). There is also an issue due to the boundary of the Gov. Dick land and the land owned by Gretna Springs. I am meeting with the owner of Gretna Springs this week and he seems willing to work with us.
    The next step is a walk through the route with the board, local conservationists, environmentalists, botanists, and whoever else is involved with the management of the Governor Dick land. This is happening very soon. After that, pending approval of all previously mentioned parties, we will be able to begin construction.
    I know it seems like this is taking a long time to bring this new trail to fruition, but I must ask everyone to be patient and supportive. There are a lot of people and politics involved in making this happen. Once we have the green light to begin building the trail, the more volunteers we get the faster it will go. The trail will be open to foot travel and bikes, no horses. Once completed, it will be a very technical trail and should complete a loop around the outskirts of the Governor Dick property.
    As of this point, no other trails besides the interpretive trail have been marked as “foot travel only”. It was not discussed at the meeting when the other trails will be posted, but at some point that will happen. It is important to note that with the addition of the new trail, mountain bikers will actually be gaining more area to ride as opposed to losing it.
    I would like to encourage mountain bikers to attend the board meetings in order to show your support for biking in the park. There is power in numbers. Just please don’t come in to the meetings in order to personally attack any members of the board. As a user group, we will engender much more respect with the Board that way! The meetings are the third Thursday of every month at 7:00 and the very beginning of the meeting is open to public comment. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Brad Ditzler
    faithandbrad@comcast.net
    Last edited by barnold74; 07-24-2007 at 02:50 PM.