Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Governor Dick /Mt. Gretna trail 4 open again for mountain biking

Hello all,

Very good news to report with regard to trail 4 at Governor Dick. In a collaborative effort with the board members at GD, it has been decided that trail 4 should remain open to mountain biking. It can be accessed from trail 2 to the tower and then down trail 1 to trail 4. The small section of trail 1 towards the center is still foot travel only. This will once again allow mountain bikers the opportunity to ride an excellent sustainable downhill mountain bike trail built by locals many years ago. Soon we will fix the trail post designations to indicate bikes are permitted.

Additional projects will include a re-route of trail 6 once the fencing at GD is completed. The fencing is occurring in the areas where the dead oak trees were harvested due to the gypsy moth invasion. They will be re-planting inside the fencing which is part of the "Growing Greener" grant. Also, we will be doing a clean up around the old Clarence Schock Tower House site with a commemorative plaque to be placed nearby. In the past folks have asked about group rides so we are hopeful to set that up. Last, there is always trail maintenance to do.

June 12th we will be doing an official night mountain bike ride. There will be a $5 charge per rider and proceeds will go to the Trail Support Committee to buy tools. I will post the ride in May with detailed information on the SAMBA website and MTBR.

In the near future we will be asking for help to complete our projects. We are hopeful more trail users will join us on the support committee and attend meetings every third Thursday of the month at 7:15PM. For now, enjoy the snow....it will melt....and it will be time to ride again!!

Desiree & Matt McElheny
    Trail Support Committee at Governor Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Governor Dick /Mt. Gretna trail 4 open again for mountain biking-gv-dick-18-feb-2010-new-tr-designations-b.jpg  

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Very nice.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    good job

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Dutchess,
    Great news! Thanks for all of the hard work that you both do... both physical and political!
    Now.... just need this snow to melt!
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Eastcoaster; 02-21-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Desiree & Matt that is great news. PM me, or contact me thru the YAMBA website, with the trailwork and group ride info when you have things more set in stone. I will see that it gets put on the YAMBA website. I know some of our members like to ride there too, so I'm sure we can get you some help.

kevin

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Always good to see hard work pay off

Thanks

ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    good to hear!

siv
    mtbr member
    Good job guys, thanks. Question: isnt night riding in Gretna "illegal"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuchess
    Hello all,

Very good news to report with regard to trail 4 at Governor Dick. In a collaborative effort with the board members at GD, it has been decided that trail 4 should remain open to mountain biking. It can be accessed from trail 2 to the tower and then down trail 1 to trail 4. The small section of trail 1 towards the center is still foot travel only. This will once again allow mountain bikers the opportunity to ride an excellent sustainable downhill mountain bike trail built by locals many years ago. Soon we will fix the trail post designations to indicate bikes are permitted.

Additional projects will include a re-route of trail 6 once the fencing at GD is completed. The fencing is occurring in the areas where the dead oak trees were harvested due to the gypsy moth invasion. They will be re-planting inside the fencing which is part of the "Growing Greener" grant. Also, we will be doing a clean up around the old Clarence Schock Tower House site with a commemorative plaque to be placed nearby. In the past folks have asked about group rides so we are hopeful to set that up. Last, there is always trail maintenance to do.

June 12th we will be doing an official night mountain bike ride. There will be a $5 charge per rider and proceeds will go to the Trail Support Committee to buy tools. I will post the ride in May with detailed information on the SAMBA website and MTBR.

In the near future we will be asking for help to complete our projects. We are hopeful more trail users will join us on the support committee and attend meetings every third Thursday of the month at 7:15PM. For now, enjoy the snow....it will melt....and it will be time to ride again!!

Desiree & Matt McElheny
    Trail Support Committee at Governor Dick

Wow June 12 night ride\, thats planned in good advanced notice. That sounds like something I'd be interested in. I would also like to help with some trail maintenance one day. I have only been here like 3 or 4 times, but I like the trails here. Especially I think 12, 4, and definitely 15!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeps...we have permission to do a night ride on June 12th. The idea was presented to the board and they said okay. For now, it is a one time event. Perhaps in the future we can convince them to do more if all goes well. Baby steps.....I will post the required info. in May on SAMBA, YAMBA, and MTBR. Also, I am currently working on organizing a bike safety course for grade school kids possibly in May. Keep you all posted.

You are correct Siv....night riding at GD is not permitted unless it is a special event. The local police are notified in advance. Do you still have your Tasty Cake connection???

The Duchess

siv
    mtbr member
    Connection is still good, calories are not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome, can't wait to ride there again. Speaking of which, we have had a few warmer days recently. Anyone been up there to check it out?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    Awesome, can't wait to ride there again. Speaking of which, we have had a few warmer days recently. Anyone been up there to check it out?
    Actually walked around on trail 4 yesterday, and I could prob still ride a snowboard on it... If the warm weather keeps up we might be able to ride next weekend...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Actually walked around on trail 4 yesterday, and I could prob still ride a snowboard on it... If the warm weather keeps up we might be able to ride next weekend...
    Great, thanks for the update. Spring is just around the corner!

mtbr member
    Great news folks and hell of a job! Can't wait to ride there again. I was up there last week but Todd said it was not good. Like Arnold says. "I'll be back!"
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I took a chance and went up today. Parked at the Ranger Station. The first part of 15 was snow covered and I had to walk (about 50 yards tops). The rest of 15 was very rideable and in good shape although a little bit muddy in a couple of spots. Also a couple of small areas of snow but nothing serious. Got to the end of 15 and looked down only to realize that I had my rear shock locked out for the entire thing! Anyway then made a left onto 13 and that trail although a little sloppy was very rideable as well. Got to Trail 5 and had to walk about 1/4 mile up the snow covered hill but the rest of the trail was great, but wet. Rest of the ride was great. Ran into a couple (nice people by the way) on my way out that were also up on trail 4 and said that it was good too. I will be hitting it again tomorrow at 11am with a couple other guys. I guess being laid off sometimes has its benefits! I can ride whenever I want!
    Last edited by Lugi; 03-10-2010 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A small group of us are going to be riding Saturday morning at around 7:30-ish. We will be leaving from the lot at the beginning of trail 3. The loop we plan to do is trail 3, to 2,1,4,15,13,5,10,9,5 then back to the cars! If anyone would like to join us you are more than welcome to! Depending on how we feel when we get to trail 10 will determine whether or not we will do that part of the ride or not. Hope to see you there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oh we'll feel just fine. I'm ready to ride!!!!!! It will be perfect conditions!!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Hmm. Tempting. A new place (4 me).

my church is the woods

lugi and paul -

I would join you, but can't due to the scheduled trailwork that morning at Camp Mack. see http://www.sambabiker.com/ for the details. You are more than welcome to join us and help build new trail Saturday morning, and for a good ride Sunday morning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well the trail conditions today at Gretna were pretty excellent except for a few wet spots. Saturday should be awesome. I did the entire loop that I listed above, and other than the ridiculous climb on 10 the ride was fantastic. Took me around 2 hours but I had a couple of breaks in there to enjoy the scenery

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Little video from the bottom of trail 4 (Southside) merging with trail 15 (Gates of Hell)
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Awesome vid. We went there on Saturday and had an awesome ride. Trail 4 and 15 rock, and numerous other trails! I finally cleared an area on trail 15 that used to give me problems!! It felt great!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah Saturday was awesome. Most fun I have had riding in a loooong time. I especially loved being able to clean that huge angled log to rock section on 15. Took a few tries but finally figured it out! Also loved the trail 4 and 9 downhill sections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So glad to hear the trails at GD are awesome. Makes me think that our hard work pays off. The trail support committee at GD would sure appreciate if you all came to help on Saturday morning at 9am. Perhaps we can organize a ride afterwards.

The Duchess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast