Nervous Descender

Gov. Dick/Gretna Trails open?

I'll be in PA this weekend and am looking to spend a few hours riding at Gov. Dick. Can anyone fill me in on the trail situation up there, i.e. what's open and what's not?

Thanks in advance!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    There was lots of talk about closing trails, but I haven't heard anything. Talk about opening new "bike specific trails" but haven't heard anything either. I would say ride have fun and be respectful... How can they ask you to do anything else?

If there is any question, I would just say stay on the Gov. Dick side and stay away from game lands, both are marked clearly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Was there about 2 weeks ago. Seemed fine. They made improvements to the trail at the parking area, and planted flowered sections. Also the trail has been improved closest to the cottages. The Hideaway hasn't gotten Troegs Mad Elf yet, but I'm waiting patiently.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Don't expect the Elf till after thanksgiving...

Nervous Descender
    Rode there Sun and everything was pretty good. Hot and humid. Trail 4 (nature trail) seems to be all that is closed to bikes so far. I heard a rumor that SAMBA was working on a new trail on the south side of the park- I tried to find that somewhat unsuccessfully. Followed a few trails from the south side of the tower with some pretty good technical drops which seemed to lead to some old and overgrown hike-a-bike trails along a steep area littered with big boulders. Also saw a building with a big sign in one spot which read "No Trespassing: Area under Constant Video Surveillance"- anyone know whats up with that?

Trail 12, 13, 14, etc. were of course in fun and in great shape. Nice bridges built on 12 where it can be muddy. Saw a few locals who looked at me like I was nuts for riding a rigid SS.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Rode there Sun and everything was pretty good. Hot and humid. Trail 4 (nature trail) seems to be all that is closed to bikes so far. I heard a rumor that SAMBA was working on a new trail on the south side of the park- I tried to find that somewhat unsuccessfully. Followed a few trails from the south side of the tower with some pretty good technical drops which seemed to lead to some old and overgrown hike-a-bike trails along a steep area littered with big boulders. Also saw a building with a big sign in one spot which read "No Trespassing: Area under Constant Video Surveillance"- anyone know whats up with that?

Trail 12, 13, 14, etc. were of course in fun and in great shape. Nice bridges built on 12 where it can be muddy. Saw a few locals who looked at me like I was nuts for riding a rigid SS.
    From what I understand the bottom of the trail that had the dead end and the Surveillance camera is one side of the "new trail". Not sure what's up with SAMBA, they should have started trail work awhile ago.

PS, those weren't locals... locals would have bought you a beer for riding a rigid SS, not looked at you weird, we call them "tourists".

sambabiker.com
    SAMBA is waiting for approval from the Governor Dick Board to start building the trail. I think we may get that soon. When that does happen SAMBA is going to need lots of help to get it done. So, I will let you all know when we do get the approval and then we can start making dirt fly .

Brian Arnold
    SAMBA Trail Coordinator

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

SS - Rigid

Gov Dick is alot of fun on a SS rigid. A really good place to go when you've only got an hour to ride. Lots of foot traffic on the weekends though. A better ride during the weekdays if you can find the time.

sambabiker.com

New Trails

Hello, I just want to take a quick moment to let you all know what is going on.

Governor Dick Park: The new southside trail has been approved! This trail should be about 2 1/2 miles of new, highly technical and rocky singletrack that will be open to bike and foot travel, no horses. A big thanks goes out to Matt & Desiree McElheny and Brad Ditzler for making this all happen!

Swatara State Park: Two new trails have been approved! The first will be an out and back loop and the second will be a connector to abandoned 443.
    Note: We have recently noticed that there has been some "trail modifications" being preformed out at Swatara Park. While sometimes this benefits the trails other times it could violate the guidelines setup by the park's manager. So, if there are issues or suggestions for the park please let me know and we will see what can be done about it. Thanks!

Construction dates on these trails still need to be worked out. Per park policy the trails can only be worked on during approved scheduled workdays. Gretna workdays will probably start sooner then the Swatara trails. With hunting season and other commitments trail work at Swatara will probably only begin December or January. Work dates will be posted on the SAMBA website.

SAMBA is also looking to purchase some additional tools to help out with these projects, but what we are going to need is your help and muscle to help get this done.

See you out on the trails!!

Brian Arnold
    SAMBA Trail Coordinator
    www.sambabiker.com