mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Good trails around Lancaster?

I'm going to visit family that lives in Akron, which is about 15 minutes northeast of Lancaster, and I'd like to get some riding in while I'm there. Can anyone give me some recommendations for places to ride? Something within 30 minutes would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Mt. Gretna
    Blue Marsh
    French Creek may be little more that 30 min.

Check the PA trail reviews for what will suit your interests

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a place that has a bit of everything. I'm also planning on taking my brother in-law out and he's a novice on a bike so which place do you think would be better off riding? Is their any way I could get a hold of a trail map for any of these places?

Cheers

Jeremy

mtbr member

SAMBA is the local club

Check this out

www.sambabiker.com/

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I live in Lancaster, and ride pretty much every day, pm me if you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Blue Marsh is my advice

Easy to get to (just off rt. 183). Park at the lot on Old Church Road. Trails are clearly marked and easy to navigate. The trail has a little of everything - wooded singletrack, open field, fire roads. There is one main trail that goes around the lake. The only downside - the lake is pretty darn big. There is a 23 mile loop and a 7 mile loop. The 7 mile loop has a couple of big hills.

I was out there last week and started cramping 20 miles into it. The last 10 were pretty brutal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Guys,
    I just got back last night from my PA visit and your info really helped out. I rode the trails at Mt. Gretna on Saturday morning. The trails were in pretty decent shape considering it rained the day before. The riding was great with a good mix of terrain. Although, I made some bad decisions in trying to make a good loop and ended up climbing trail 14. Man, that was one tough climb! Bombing the descent afterwards was fun!

Todd, I wish I had seen your post before I left or would have PM'd you for a ride! Thanks for the offer. When I get back there again, I'll hit you up.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp111
    Guys,
    I just got back last night from my PA visit and your info really helped out. I rode the trails at Mt. Gretna on Saturday morning. The trails were in pretty decent shape considering it rained the day before. The riding was great with a good mix of terrain. Although, I made some bad decisions in trying to make a good loop and ended up climbing trail 14. Man, that was one tough climb! Bombing the descent afterwards was fun!

Todd, I wish I had seen your post before I left or would have PM'd you for a ride! Thanks for the offer. When I get back there again, I'll hit you up.

Thats a shame I was even out there that day. If you saw a guy on a dh bike that was probally me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Thats a shame I was even out there that day. If you saw a guy on a dh bike that was probally me.

A DH bike, are you kidding? What trail do you ride that on?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    A DH bike, are you kidding? What trail do you ride that on?

When you grow up out there, and build there, you know where to ride a dh bike out there

To answer your question about where... I'm not telling, second rule of fight club.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I didn't see any DH rigs while I was there. As a matter of fact, I didn't see many bikers at all. We parked at the education center and headed to the top, back down the other side, back to the tower and then back down again. I did run into one guy at the tower who said he was on his first Mt. Gretna ride of the year and gave me some good insight on how to ride it. I could see how a DH hog could be ridden there. Difficult, yes. But doable none the less.