mtbr member

Good route for Big Pocono SP??

Hey all,

A guy from Jersey here who's gotten roped in to taking the family to Great Wolf Lodge. Well, I wanna have some fun, too, so I plan on hitting up Big Pocono.

Anyone have a good route that includes plenty of singletrack? Also, where's the best place to park to access the trails?
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Stop at The Loft bike shop on the road up to Camel Back, the staff there is very good and provided me a map and let me know they have a group ride on Fridays at 6pm.

Unfortunately my vacation schedule did not work into making the group ride but I am hitting up those trails on monday providing the rain is not too heavy.

Single Track Addict
    Sent you a PM...

Holler back if you want a guide.

Chris
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I should have had a guide today. I got TOTALLY lost up there and ended up at the rest stop on Rt 80 South and had someone pick me up. I have NO idea where I got off route but i just kept heading to the highway noise. It was either that or be lost in the woods after dark with no lights.

Single Track Addict

We the people ... Thats AWESOME!

Let me regale you with a similar tale of woe, of those very trails you were riding on:

In August of 2000, my brother Owen, my friend Seth, and I set out on a ride from the top of Camelback.

It was a beautiful late summer Sunday afternoon; the skies were clear, and the air was crisp with the scent of autumn's imminent arrival.

We had planned to ride a known route, the "blocks" on the west side of the State Game Lands, but we ran into another rider who suggested we try "The New Trail".

We had all heard of "The New Trail" from our customers at the local bike shop were we all worked. It was rumored to be a spectacular buffet of tight, elbow on tree singletrack, glorious downhills, all linked with some of the existing fire roads.
    After a brief conference amongst the three of us, we turned down the power line, and then left into the woods.

The New Trail was everything it was supposed to be: we were spread out, with about 20 yards between us, blasting around corners, grunting up the short steep climbs that make the following downhills seem that much sweeter...after a few miles, including a creek crossing, more singletrack, and several scared deer, we popped out onto a fire road.
    We all looked around, decided we still had time to finish the trail, and dove back into the woods for more.

What the rider at the beginning had failed to mention, was that the trail we were so intent on riding was not COMPLETE. At that time it was still an out and back...
    Unaware of this we pushed on, ignoring the rapidly setting sun, and the rising full moon.

About an hour later the trail abruptly STOPPED. In the middle of NOWHERE, population: US.
    We too could hear the eighteen wheelers on the jake brake as they rolled down the big hill on Route 80, and so, like yourself, we struck out in that direction.

After about 45 minutes of honest to goodness bush whacking, we found ourselves in a deep valley, right along the highway.

At this point it’s about 8:30, the sun had set, and the moon was coming up, but we had NO lights, NO cell phone.

There was a faint double track about a quad runner width wide, and so we started following that. The quad trail turned into a fun little single track which paralleled the highway.

At this point we knew where (approximately) we were, and how far we were from the car (VERY far).

There is an old rail bed that crosses Route 80 on the big hill just above the rest area, and continues on to cross Camelback road RIGHT at the ski resort. We decided to ride along 80 until we came to the rail bed, and ride the smooth, flat rail bed back to the road, and then up Camelback road to the cars.

When we found the rail bed we were very relieved; it was a mostly downhill ride from there, and while the up hill to the cars wouldn't be fun, but we knew we were close.... SO close...

We turned away from the moonlit road and headed into the woods, and quickly realized there was a LOT less moon light under the trees...and that the Game Commission, in an attempt to impede the quad runners, had fallen a BUNCH of trees across the rail bed, effectively blocking our path.

We were getting pretty frustrated by then...we knew where we were, and having grown up in area, I knew the roads of the area VERY well. At that point I decided that our best course of action was to ride back out to Route 80 and East to the rest stop, where I could call my Girlfriend for a ride.

So we pushed our bikes back over, around and under the fallen trees, and made our way back to the highway. The single track that was west of the rail bed did not continue to the east; our only choice was to ride on the shoulder of the highway...

You haven't lived until you have ridden along a BUSY highway, by a combination of moonlight and passing Truck/Car headlights, bunny-hopping dead deer (seriously) and dodging various broken car parts.

The rest stop was beautiful: the street lights illuminated the highway shoulder as we rolled up to the building. The drivers looked at us like we were from another planet...

I called my girl friend, she was a touch concerned at where we were, and then more than a little angry that I would require her to pick us up… (She’s no longer mine, I pity her husband) after explaining that this situation was really not up for debate, she agreed to come get us.

Now we just had to get back to a point where she could easily pick us up:
    We decided to ride farther east along the highway, then try to get on Sullivan Trail, which would take us back to Barley Creek Brewing Company.
    My girl friend would meet us there and take us back up the hill to the waiting cars.

It’s about a mile of steep downhill between the rest stop and the under pass where we were planning to get off the highway, and let me tell you…we were FLYING.

We were spun out in the big ring, full moon overhead, trucks FLYING by just feet away from us…I will NEVER forget that night.

We made it to the Brew Creek without issue, actually beat my girl friend by a few minutes…she took Seth and Me back up to the top to get the cars, while my brother waited in the parking lot with the bikes.

Eight years have passed since then, and Owen, Seth and I still laugh about that night in the woods…and now I always carry a light on EVERY ride, you just don’t know where the trail will take you…

PM me if you want to go riding there again...and I promise I will bring my light.

-Chris
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member

Ahh, I remember it well !!

Yea buddy, I found out just how absorbent the chamois in those Fox shorts were that night!! Just kidding, however that was probably one of the best and most annoying rides I had ever been on and I'm glad I got to experience it with the two of you. The dumbest part was that I think both of us had our lights in our cars and just didn't take them out. Won't make that mistake more than thrice!!

Seth

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Great Story!

It's times like that when you never think of how it would be to have to walk due to injury or ride with broken parts!

Thank God no one had a flat or injury!

I would guess it didn't kill you so it made you stronger and minus one girlfriend... LOL!

Thanks for sharing your memories, we have all had those kind of rides.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy

PM me if you want to go riding there again...and I promise I will bring my light.

-Chris
    Sadly my two weeks of riding in NE PA are over, today I am in Rochester NY and leave for Cleveland this afternoon. Rays MTB park is on the schedual for Saturday then sunday morning its back to Indianapolis and the work routine on Monday

I will definitely take you up on that offer next year when I come back to the Pocono's

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here was where I ended up at Big Pocono. At least its all down hill to the rest stop.

A very welcomed site to see.