Pittsburgh Trail Rider
    Jul 2006

Good bike shops in Pittsburgh

I purchased a bike from a bike shop around the Pittsburgh area, but they have REALLY let me down (see Bad bike shop/buying a lemon. So I am looking for a new place around the Pittsburgh area to fix the mistakes the first place made and get me up and rolling again. Anyone have any good experience with TRM Cycles or Pittsburgh Pro Bicycles? Any other good places you all know about that is less than 30 mins from downtown? Thanks!
    "With God all things are possible" - Matthew 19:26

"Blessed are those who can laugh at their own mistakes, for they shall never cease to be amused" - unknown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B19Wh33l5
    I purchased a bike from a bike shop around the Pittsburgh area, but they have REALLY let me down (see Bad bike shop/buying a lemon. So I am looking for a new place around the Pittsburgh area to fix the mistakes the first place made and get me up and rolling again. Anyone have any good experience with TRM Cycles or Pittsburgh Pro Bicycles? Any other good places you all know about that is less than 30 mins from downtown? Thanks!

Which shop did you buy it from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My last bike's from trm.Pretty solid staff.Decent selection.Just make sure they go over the bike with you before end of sale.Volpatti's in Washington has been there.My favorite shop in town is West Liberty Cycles.Oh,I almost forgot Pro Bike has a nice shop to.

mtbr member
    I like PGH Pro in squirrel hill. Lots of stuff on hand and a good group of guys.

-Joe

the unvarnished nonsense
    There's a lot of OK bike shops in the Pittsburgh area, but also one that stands head and shoulders above all others. Dirty Harry's in Verona. THE BEST, PERIOD.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    If race performance of staff personnel is any indication of shop quality then Dirty Harrys all the way.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Is Volpatti's still open??

Their # is disconnected.

Nate was the MAN. They had a terrible selection, but Nate could wrench his butt off and was good for some crazy conversation!

If anyone knows, let me know.

Dirty harry's is great, and the guys at Trek in Robinson have treated me very well. Josh is a good dude, and the owners of the place really ride and seem very into what they are doing... I live in Bavington, so they are my local shop.

Life is Good
    Dirty Harry's or any of the Gatto shops will take care of ya.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Honestly, I've used Pittsburgh Pro Bikes before in the past (years ago) and just recently.
    No matter what shop you goto , you should goto one where the people ride bikes. The one in Monroeville has a room full of guys ready to help and able to with years of experience.

They are there to sell you something , not be your friend. My experience is they are probably trained to stop BSing and feeling your needs out, and get you into something and not make a big deal about it.

Do your homework first, go there NOT on a Sat or Sun and you should end up with a very happy experience.

They also give free advice but, don't expect to linger long as they have stuff to do and people to sell to at this time of the year

Overall, I'm happy with my experience there, and you probably will be too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thumbs up to Dirty Harry's as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    btw monroevilles pgh pro bikes has many higher end bikes sitting there you can inspect rather than going from a catalog.

Also, there is a place in Connelsville (sp?) if you are willing to drive that far. They sit RIGHT on the trail and you can checkout some great bikes there.
    Very nice people and the prices are right..

Gatto in Wexford has treated me like dirt on several occasions. I won't shop in ANY Gattos anymore. Scholl's has treated me well (West View and Warrendale/Cranberry).

I've only used Pgh Pro in Squirrel Hill once to get a part for my Stumpjumper. Positive experience, but then again I only needed a bolt. Still, those small part excursions tend to be the best tell of a good shop. A bad shop will ignore you (Wexford Gatto), while a good shop will order the part for you after only a phone call and they call you to tell you it's there for pickup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My Experience of BIKE LINE in greensburg.

I walk in. Some kid with piercings that doesn't look a day over 17 is manning the store.
    His friend is talking to him and they ignore me.

Finally the friend, more worried about me being there than the employee - tells the employee I am there waiting for him. The employee says "Don't worry about it, finish your story"

This goes on for about 5 , count them FIVE farking minutes! I would have walked out of there after 1 minute of GLARING for help but really needed a stock check on a particular bike there.

So I walk up to the counter, about 10 feet from the friend and the employee, and I was being completely ignored. I laugh and start walking out the door. Finally the junk head walks behind the counter and says 'Yo, you need something'
    I replied with 'Yo, are you able to handle checking stock on something'
    He checks and they have to order it, too late for my needs. He hands me a catalog to 'look through, I throw it on the floor and walk out.

I haven't had this bad service since visiting a fast food restaurant in the south. I waited 20 minutes for food there and it was stale somehow?

ok...

Seriously checkout Bikes Unlimited toward the mountains. Well worth the trip I think. They don't have a website but here is a link with the .nfo and # http://www.visitpa.com/visitpa/details.pa?id=68536

GL

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B19Wh33l5
    I have been to both Dirty Harry's and Pittsburgh Pro Bicycles. I have nothing but good to say about both, I have just established my business at PPB because they are in Squirrel Hill and I live in Shadyside. Jason who regularly posts on Dirt Rags forums works there and I would ask for him, although all the guys are great there. They are even open on Sundays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmm my bro just told me of a place called Korbers that takes your old bike back as a trade in - so if you have a growing kid that is nice. Not sure what they give you, but better than wasting your time with the local paper or a street sign ya know? Even Ebay really isn't much of an option if you are just looking for a few extra bucks for what you have left over unless it was higher end to begin with and you are upgrading again.

Sorry no correct name or number, you'll have to research that one.

Nice no rass
    It's Korbers in West Newton. They are on the Yough River Trail. If you are buying at Korbers (Marin and Raleigh dealer) you better know what you want, what you need and how to fix it yourself. They are CLUELESS there.

I've dealt with BikeLine in Greensburg a few times. My last was when they tried to tell me that no replacement parts were available for my Thule T2, I had to buy a new one for $386. Uh...www.thule.com...every single part of a Thule rack is replaceable. I'm done with them. The only good option out here in this area is Speed Goat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow sorry to hear about that. Guess they are doing well sitting on the trail there with that area being a good stop, but also it is the 2nd portion of the trail created and often enjoys more people starting there than even the Cedarcreek area.

I he was talking about the one near Boston but now that I realize it's the one in West Newton, I did stop by there once with my bike when it was first starting to act up and I was riding through. I think I was just inquiring about rentals and fixing a current bike long ago. I thought they went under a while back?
    I guess you get a level of inexperience in any field - they may be super experts in some but clueless in others. Dunno.

Seems like wherever you buy a bike now they aren't too big on servicing it unless they stand to make some good money. Guess they have to eat but geesh.

The one guy I was talking to told me that on a $550 bike they are only making like $70. Considering that is not just some appliance you plug in and don't bug them about really, that's a hard $70 earned - esp after taxes etc. You would think ALL bike shops would be ready to service the people with whatever they come in with, even if retrofitting is necessary.

Oh well - KORBER down - BIKELINE down. I just had a guy tell me there are some really bad experiences with Pittsburgh Pro Bikes by many as they play games and sell used bikes in their store. NOT sure about this but did notice that most of the bikes looked faded and had dirt on the tires. Maybe they let you test them out or maybe it's just dirt and dust coming in from the doors being open during the nice days out. The ones I was playing around with looked pretty sweet and would be getting much dirtier and beaten in just ONE riding from me I'd say... So they are still a GO for me at the moment as I am deciding where to buy a bike from this week soooooooo.

Nice no rass
    Korbers does a good business for YRT rentals, on site repairs such as tubes, cables, etc and selling comfort bikes/low end stuff. If you need something other than the most basic part or tech service...forget it.

Like Bikes Unlimited in Connelsville, all entry level sub $500 bikes...road, MTB, hybrid, BMX. That's their bread and butter and all they stock. I can at least say the couple that owns Bikes Unlimited is very friendly and helpful, unlike Korber's. If you want to look at anything other than a Hardrock Sport disc, Rockhopper, C'Dale F400 or Trek 4500, you're pretty much SOL.

For mid to high end rigs, you really only have Gatto, Dirty Harry's, Bike Tech and PGH Pro in M'ville. Boutique brands are Speed Goat's specialty.

After the Thule incident, I'd never send anyone to Bikeline Greensburg. They either have no clue or were looking to make a $400 sale over a $35 sale by lying. The sad thing is, someone who didn't know otherwise may have bought the new rack. So much for *trying* to support the LBS.

mtbr member

Korbers

I live in west Newton, Korbers has a new owner. Now they are called West Newton Bicycle shop. They have always treated me well. I take my bikes there, and they seem to know what they are doing. I guess you have to be a longtime customer to get excellent service there. I won't go to Bikeline what so ever. Bikeline doesn't know what they are doing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sincraft
    Honestly, I've used Pittsburgh Pro Bikes before in the past (years ago) and just recently.
    No matter what shop you goto , you should goto one where the people ride bikes. The one in Monroeville has a room full of guys ready to help and able to with years of experience.

They are there to sell you something , not be your friend. My experience is they are probably trained to stop BSing and feeling your needs out, and get you into something and not make a big deal about it.

Do your homework first, go there NOT on a Sat or Sun and you should end up with a very happy experience.

They also give free advice but, don't expect to linger long as they have stuff to do and people to sell to at this time of the year

Overall, I'm happy with my experience there, and you probably will be too.
    I guess I was lucky. Went to the Monroeville store on a Sunday with my buddy, the owner and one of the other guys were both willing to help us out, even with other people there. Diffently great people to deal with, and I will spend my money with them even though it is a hual from Moon to get there. Took the time with both myself and my buddy to answer our questions, then gave us insane deals on our bikes, and then topped it off with a good discount on any accessories we might need. Customer service rocks too! Fixed up the broken derailer on my friends bike, since it wasnt adjusted right and it got caught in the wheel...this was the owner's bike he was trying to sell that my boy bought. Gave me some free tune ups even though my bike wasn't "new", just last years model that never sold and was sitting in the box taking up space. Great guys

mtbr member
    Speedgoat is good if your in the Laurel Highlands area. they carry a lot of high end bikes, they know their stuff. also try Spoked Wheelz in Mt. Pleasant (thats if they are still around, havent been past that way in a while).

Nice no rass
    FYI, spoked wheelz no longer carries bikes for sale. The shop has converted to service only. Honestly, I look for them to close soon. From what I understand, Dan is very busy on the road as a touring mechanic for roadie teams. I don't know why he bothers keeping the store open, he's rarely ever there.

I checked out West Newton Bicycle Shop today. Much better selection than when it was Korbers and friendlier staff for sure. Decent selection of tubes, tires, basic parts for quick repairs. They are definitely more BMX, comfort and hybrid oriented than MTB, but will work for a real close source for some parts. They also seemed willing to order anything I needed that they didn't stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm pro bikes good gattos piss poor

PRO biKES GREAT PEOPLE GOOD PRICES > had a small problem with a part the next day the owner craig calls me in person and makes it right . i mean they treat u well . dont be confusing the old probikes they were jerks craig cozza is the new owner hes a real bike guy! rides em , avoid Gattos they are they very worst hands down , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXVhVSbWK4