Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good bike shop in Allentown?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  CarolinaPanthers 
#1 ·
Our family of 3 is traveling to PA (from Arizona) soon for XC nationals at the Bear Creek Mtn. Resort just west of Allentown. We are staying on the western edge of Allentown, and would like to find a trustworthy bike shop close to the venue/hotel that we can ship all 3 bikes to, and possibly have them assembled. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I will do everything I can to dissuade people from going to Cycledrome, simply because once I stopped in there to get a quick link for my Pugsley when they opened, and aside from making me feel like a complete ******* for walking in as they were opening, the dude was a condescending prick when asking me which quick link I wanted. I'll spare the details, but I mean he did EVERYTHING wrong as far as customer service.

Bike Line of Allentown is in west Allentown. I've only been there once, but my friend goes there all the time and has nothing but good things to say about them.

You also have South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus, which is within a similar driving radius. I have only been once or twice, not enough to form an opinion but they are like the shop that all the people who work for Bicycling Magazine frequent, it seems. They have a good reputation.

Personally, I absolutely love Cutters in Bethlehem but that's a good 25 minutes past the other two places.

Just looked it up on Google Maps for exact times- Cycledrome is 15 minutes from Bear Creek, SMC is 20 minutes, Bike Line is about 35 minutes- I'd say do SMC to balance drive time versus quality of shop.

#4 ·
As a former resident of the area, I would say either Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown(just off the Bethlehem exit) or South Mountain Cycles. I know Saucon is a little farther, but it is convenient highway access and they are one of the best shops I have dealt with in almost 20 years of cycling. Very flexible for online and phone arrangements as well. Ask for Steve if you do call them. :)

#6 ·
Thanks for all the great beta! Will be calling SMC in the morn to (cross fingers) make arrangements to ship the bikes. Much better info here than what one can glean from anonymous internet ratings.

#10 ·
another vote for cutters. I go to Moravian and discovered them and even though I live an hour away in jersey, I still consider them my lbs and will make the trip out if needed. great people and a quality shop. I definitely recommend them to anyone in the area. heck, I recommend them to people in my area haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.