Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Gnarliest hill you mt bike up or down in Pa

Gnarliest hill you mt bike up or down in Pa

Got a fav?
    Pics of you doing it?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Some favs...

mOOn Lake, Trail 8, section 8.4 known to locals as "The uphill challenge"...
    ...ya get a run at it, but the tough line has a rock ledge step about 2 feet high, rock infested on the way up robs your speed.

mOOn Lake, Trail NFS, 2 sections, on the lower half climbing up right from the Flume the first uphill stright shot just steep as s88t...
    ...the other further up still in the lower section, there is a right turn with roots galore, dry it's hard, wet it's impossible!

HCGA, Up "HELL FROZE OVER"... nuff said

HCGA Down "Mono Rock trail" just a huge slab of rock with rocks on it, tossed about: 3 lines: 1 = scarry 2. = scarry-er 3. = dead dead dead

I'll stop back and add pics!

Did you ever have ham?
    I will one day return to Geisinger and beat the Jeep Road!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    not in PA but I've been up and down Lion's Back in Moab

Moab - the crash - YouTube

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by cr500 View Post
    not in PA but I've been up and down Lion's Back in Moab
    i'm not normally an elitist pig this way, but can we keep it pedal-powered?

gotta be someone crazy enough to pedal up Lion's Back though.

ps. worst 30 minutes of my life was being front passenger when my friend just "had" to take is Land Rover up and down. I literally almost killed him once we got off the hill. Maybe that's why he stopped biking with me?

craziest thing I ever cleaned was the Waterfall on La Milagrosa trail in Tuscon AZ. Picture doesn't do it justice....but that's no in PA so I'm deleting the rest of this mess.
    Last edited by bear; 07-05-2012 at 04:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There are a few climbs at Da' Wiss that are pretty gnarly. There is one that has water bars every two pedal strokes that you have to literally hop up.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Maybe Gross Pass trail in Bald Eagle SF? Downward only, definitely. I'm not stout enough of heart to attempt climbing that *****. Steep, narrow, shrub-lined, and did I say steep?

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Gnarliest hill you mt bike up or down in Pa

Got a fav?
    Pics of you doing it?
    Widowmaker at Geisinger... don't know the exact stats, but if you start from the trailhead at red lane and climb all the way up to top, you can gain about 360 feet over about a half mile, you can keep going up from there, but it is more gradual. If anyone has the exact stats, or percent grade, lay it on me.

I've only ever made it a few times... usually by the time I end up on it I am too tired to worry about the shame of walking a good portion of it.

Oh, and there are a few other good ones at Geisinger.... like all of them. But I think most people hate widowmaker the most because it is just arrogantly boring also... there is no good reason to do it (unless you just like suffering) except it gets you back to "the top". I enjoy a good challenge, but seriously, riding it is like going to the dentist.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    "Stinger"...

...on the Laurel Classic Mt bike race course near Wellsboro. It's a 600 foot downhill, pretty much straight down in a big rut, one time racing it I pealed the front tire right off the rim, about 3/4 of the way down, braking for all I'm worth, over the bars, rolled to the bottom, stood up and here came the bike right at me!

banned
    Apr 2009
    There are a few climbs at Da' Wiss that are pretty gnarly.
    I Second This!! There is even THE MONSTER climb here also....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Climbs?
    1) French Creek - Firetower climb is the hardest I have ever cleaned. Nothing but rocks, super steep, and no line... Just as nasty going down also...
    2) Camp Mack - Horseshoe trail, from the Pumping Station Rd side all the way up to Eagle Rock, and Lost Valley, from the dirt road all the way to the top.
    3) Blue Marsh - Back Side of the ski slope.
    Downs?
    1) Mt. Penn - Skill Hill is not real long, but it is nasty. I have gone over the bars just about every time I have tried it.
    2) Gretna - Trail 4 (Super fun, but gnarly near the bottom)
    Technical?
    1) Mt. Penn - Vietnam, and the trail that runs along Skyline Drive near the radio towers
    2) Gretna - Trail 15

mtbr member
    camp mack the "lost trail' is real tuff going uphill with all the stepups....gretna has the walking trail climb right off the parking lot by trail 13....its long an steep definatley a leg burner at the end of a ride....down trail 4 to 15 is always fun...the hell hill at blue marsh i couldnt do last time i had to give up an walk the end of it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where the hell are the pics?

Looking to make a trip over to the Pittsburgh area to ride and I'm looking for options. I like it rough, rocks, drops, climbs that make an average man puke.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Up the backside from the creek at Merli to the top, then your enjoyment is wobbling along the Porcupine cliffs trying not to fall off!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bear,

Ed B and I both pedaled mt bikes up and back down Lion's back, the video was just for reference since everyone has seen it. I've never been up or down it any other way than on a mt bike. It's Moab slickrock so there is more traction than you need. It's pretty open and a bit scarey but I would think in a truck would be more un-nerving with the blind spots.

I haven't ridden the trail yet but Chiffer and friends built a trail up Plymouth mountain that can't be easy no matter how many switchbacks they put in.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I ave ridden at slickrock and that stuff is nuts. My first time there I managed a climb that was over 20% - only about 40' long though. Took me 30 mins or so before I could stand up again after!

Huge props to you for going up lions back - it is just not on my radar of "worth it"!

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Widowmaker at Geisinger... don't know the exact stats, but if you start from the trailhead at red lane and climb all the way up to top, you can gain about 360 feet over about a half mile, you can keep going up from there, but it is more gradual. If anyone has the exact stats, or percent grade, lay it on me.

I've only ever made it a few times... usually by the time I end up on it I am too tired to worry about the shame of walking a good portion of it.

Oh, and there are a few other good ones at Geisinger.... like all of them. But I think most people hate widowmaker the most because it is just arrogantly boring also... there is no good reason to do it (unless you just like suffering) except it gets you back to "the top". I enjoy a good challenge, but seriously, riding it is like going to the dentist.

Are you talking about the road to the top? Or is there a trail called widowmaker that I don't know about?

banned
    Apr 2009
    Where the hell are the pics?
    Here is one at 'The Wiss'---Greatest Trail Ever (Considering Location, Ability levels, FLOW, and the fact that if you ride solo and crash---someone will be there shortly to help out!!)---
    Last edited by 247; 08-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    Are you talking about the road to the top? Or is there a trail called widowmaker that I don't know about?
    There's a trail to the left of the road.

Relentless Climb, is what I would call it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Here is one at 'The Wiss'---Greatest Trail Ever (Considering Location, Ability levels, FLOW, and the fact that if you ride solo and crash---someone will be there shortly to help out!!)---
    Is that the trail on the backside of the chief? The one after you climb to the chief and go down and than back up? 20 years ago on my old rock-hopper, I used to clean that. Now, on my fancy schmanzy full suspension bike, I can't make it. Man to be 20 again!

banned
    Apr 2009
    Is that the trail on the backside of the chief? The one after you climb to the chief and go down and than back up? 20 years ago on my old rock-hopper, I used to clean that. Now, on my fancy schmanzy full suspension bike, I can't make it. Man to be 20 again!
    Yeah that's it (though there is a harder spot than this there--in my opinion)

The funny thing is 3 years ago I built this bike (first MTB) at age 39, and now 3 years later (42yrs old) I can FINALLY Clear It!!

--Funny thing ALSO the 'Fitness Shape I am in now' because of Mountain Biking.
    It Blows Away what I could do 20 years ago!! (at 22 I could not even touch the net on a basketball court)--and now I can 'smack' the backboard... ---AND the people I knew who could Dunk a basketball 20 years ago (can't even play basketball now) because of knee's, back's, etc....

Last edited by 247; 07-10-2012 at 05:05 PM.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post

Nah, the road to the top is boring, but not too bad. Widowmaker is on the side near red lane. Starts down near the creek bed and ends up crossing the power lines. It may actually be slightly outside of the stewardship forest, but it is not posted.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member

Hmmmm.....Some edits after reading responses...

....Climbs....
    Lackawanna State Park.....Abington Trail about 4 different sections
    then....Stoney cabin Ridge....short but steep and loose at the end....
    Stairway to Heaven

Downhill.....
    Tatto Alley ...
    RollerCoasterSayWut!
    DeadDeer Xtreme!
    380 Trail....last part down to Lake francis road...
    Moon Lake.....NFS...first steep section down to the service road.....

Will have to find some pics.....
    Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 07-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Rolling on 650b
    Up - Drakes creek singletrack up to summer mt. loop off 903 north of J.T. Also, not a full ride, but a steep climb off a back road to Tuscarora lake near Tamaqua. And the giants depair hill climb race - 600 vert in a mile (10:46 my best time). As for down Stinger and Grosses both good picks. Once biked down the glen onoko hiking trail from the top of the broad. That was scetchy!

mtbr member
    The "Expert" downhill at Moraine State Park. Begins at about 4:00 in this video:

Check out my You Tube Channel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast