Thread: GLP Trail Day

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

GLP Trail Day

Saturday June 1st we will be holding a trail maintenance day on the Green Lane trails. We will be meeting at 8am at the Hill road day use parking lot and splitting in to groups, we will be doing some general clean up as well as fixing some re-routes that we made after Sandy came through. Please bring general trail tools if you have them. The plan is to work until 11:30 and then regroup for a ride for those that can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions, and spread the word to those that might be interested.
    Thanks
    Dan

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We had a great trail day at GLP today, a big thank you to everyone that came out! Everyone came to work and we made some big improvements to the blue trail including clearing 2 newly fallen trees. We also cut a new route and improved the existing route in one of the more technical ravines, we will be out tomorrow to try it out. I will be planning some more days in the future so send me a message if you are interested in helping out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode the loop there yesterday! Great time. Trails were much less wet than I expected. Good work on the blue trail also. When I was there previously I rode from the knight road trail head to the Hill road boat area and back. I left with a number of small cuts on my legs from overgrown brush. Not so this time! Nice and open. Looks like you guys took care of some tree damage as well. Thanks! I might be available to help next time depending on my schedule.

The second time I rode there ever (yesterday) I started at the same place and rode from blue to perkiomen, to green to red and then back to knight. I was a little confused towards the end of the blue trail as I came out and saw a sign saying no bikes on the part I just came from? I don't want to be THAT guy but where would I come out at if I didn't use that section? It was right where the blue comes out to the horse camp area near the perkiomen trail side.

Other than a good trail of extremely fresh horse ...manure on all the good lines after Hill rd the trails were amazing. Reminded me of a mini Blue Marsh.

I got a little lost where the red trail turns to pavement. Wasn't sure that it didn't just cross the road and head up the little climb there. I rode up there a little bit lamenting the downed trees and the lack of trail signs before turning around and going down the paved section. Chalk that up to never riding that section before.

Great day. Love the trails there. Thanks for the hard work maintaining them. Gonna ride it in the other direction one of these days and compare.

Saw a few people. I was the guy on the blue Cannondale Caffeine hard tail if you were there yesterday around early afternoon.

Anything else I should know or that I might've missed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think you rode the section from the Hill road boat launch to the equine area. Just that little part is off limits to bikes. I've wound up on it too, it's fairly easy to do. We normally ride up the entrance to the hill road lot, then roll down hill road to the equine camp, enter the equine camp, then ride down the connector to the Perk trail and back into Green Lane.

If you rode the pavement I'd bet you missed the honeysuckle trail. It's a trail thats worth finding, but the entrance off Knight road is really easy to miss if you don't know where it is.

Dan-- Did the town and country do a write up on your trail work? I know they did a write up on someone doing trail work. I, along with two others would be up to help out with cleanup on blue sometime if needed, just been real busy lately. Have tools and 20" chainsaw if need be. I'm 5 minutes from the Ward and Knight Rd trailheads.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 06-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes that was my brother and I in the article, we are planning on doing some more organized days in the future. Last Saturday was a good example of a little work going a long way, the group we had was great! We will continue doing work throughout the year as needed, send me your email and I will put you on the list.

Good news! That section of the blue trail will be open soon and that sign will be removed , we need to do some work in there but we rode it last Sunday and it wasn't to bad. We are currently trying to get the entire trail labeled better so that people who are riding for the first few times can follow easier.

Please continue posting areas of concer as we are trying to address everything we can. Hopefully we can meet out there soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'll send you my email. The only other thing I had seen recently that was an issue was in the cedars on the north side of knight rd, between 29 and Red Hill rd. I'm sure I can talk my wife into taking a walk in there with me to check the trees along the trails for broken off branches down low. One of my buddies got his arm tore open pretty bad from the spikes left behind when the branches break off.

Whats your thought on the large log over on the red trail between the old nature center and knight rd? The one thats on the downgrade going toward the water? I'm always concrened the the logs in the backside will be gone and walk it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any new trail work updates? We saw the blue trail got paved, and some logs are cut, but there is more on the upper blue still down.

I live directly across from one of the park entrances and talked to one of the rangers today. He was happy that the hikers, and bikers have been trying to get the trails repaired since Sandy, and was disappointed with the equestrians lack of help, but not surprised. I asked about the lack of mapping for the upper blue and he said they discontinued maintenence on it. But he also said that the overwhelming feedback he hears is that they need more loop trails, mainly for hikers that don't want to do the whole loop around the resivoir. What better way to fix that than get the upper blue back on the map? He gave me Rich Woods card and told me to email him.

mtbr member
    I would be in to help on this. Rode there with Ferguson a few weeks ago and had fun. Looked like pretty easy access as well from one spot.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's