mtbr member

girlfriend wants to try mtb!

So i have finally been able to talk my girlfriend into going on a ride, now i need to know what trails. She hasnt riden anything rougher than a rail-trail and is concerned she wont enjoy something to rough. I ride mostly at Rocky Ridge in york but dont think she would enjoy those trails yet. I dont want it to be a snore but something that we can string together a few short runs that will get he hooked. we live in millersville so anything in the area would be great. are there some fun beginer trails at gretna? BML?
    count your blessings

smartass
    Take her to White Clay in Delaware. Really smooth, not many rocks/roots.

Also check out Lake Redman in York. I don't know all of the trails, but there are more non-rocky options there than Rocky Ridge, or anything else in the immediate area.

Edit to add Swatara State Park. Also pretty much rock and root free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It would be smart to take this real slow so that she doesn't see this as "work". My wife still fusses riding over even small roots on dirt paths in the town park on a SS, let alone riding real techy singletrack on a geared rig.

The battle's more than half-won in your case if she enjoys cycling in general either in itself or simply spending time with you, or hopefully both! I'd second the smoothness of White Clay as a transition period between rail trails and something a little more challenging in the future as she gets to like the sport more.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Blue Marsh is not bad for a beginner, but expect to spend a bit of time pedaling uphill, or walking depending on where you start and your girlfriend's endurance.
    Camp Mack would also be OK, has a bit of everything.
    White Clay idea is a great one, or take a road trip out to Raystown...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    Blue Marsh is not bad for a beginner, but expect to spend a bit of time pedaling uphill, or walking depending on where you start and your girlfriend's endurance.
    Camp Mack would also be OK, has a bit of everything.
    White Clay idea is a great one, or take a road trip out to Raystown...
    Raystown is a great idea! I've been trying to get my girlfriend to ride with me as well and I think I'll take her there since her family has a cabin not too far from the trails.....I don't mind riding in the cold and you probably don't either but she would probably enjoy it more when it's a little warmer out! I know my girlfriend would prefer warmer temps

Fair Hill down just over the Maryland boarder doesn't have anything technical so that would be a good place to try out and it shouldn't take more than about 45 min from Millersville