Thread: Gettysburg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Gettysburg

I was recently talking to my brother and discussed visiting Gettysburg to see the battlefield. I omce remember reading somewhere that there are bike trails going throught the park. Anyone know if this is true and if so has anyone ever done it before?

mtbr member
    Here are a bunch of Gettysburg rides -- I'm not sure which one you are after though...

http://www.mapmyride.com/search?txtL...rch=SEARCH+%3E

Wizard of the Trail
    Yeah, taking a bike just to see the battlefields is a good idea. I love going there. I was there twice and wish I had a bike to get around. Also, there is ALOT of landmarks to see that are not mentioned much. I found a website that shows carvings in stone. It had the GPS coordinates of them.

here is a site talking about some of them.
    http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=4824

I will see if I can find the list for you if you want. Have a great trip.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    I've actually ridden my road bike to Gettysburg so many time from Plains here I've lost count. It's a great place and every time I get near it I have to stop by.

As far as the trails, and I'm sure some locals will help you out (stop by the Gettysburg Bike Shop), just make sure you keep clear of the bridle paths.(they are marked) One interesting trail that runs behind the area called "Devil's Den & the Triangular field is the old Gettysburg Trolley...not many even know of it's existance. I don't know if it's ok for bikes, but definitly check it out.

I have a bazillion articles and points of interest on G'burg from my rides and stays, when I get a chance I'll start digging thru them and see what I can come up with for you.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've riden gettysburg alot (grew-up there), and there is alot to see and do. Like above, visit devils den, It's not ridable, but plenty of rock to climb around on. It will mostly be road riding, but cruising around the battlefield is fun, and stopping through town at the shops/bars. (visit the Pub in the circle, and the Parrott, just down from there on York st.) There may be some trails, but they are most likely hiking trails and i'm not sure if bikes are allowed.