Did you ever have ham?

Getting to the Trail

What does everybody use to get their bike and gear to the trail head. I am looking for something a little more economical than my current hauler. 2005 Chevy Silverado, 2WD, 4.3L V-6 with 4 speed auto...averaging 17.5 MPG.

It will easily accomadat a few mountain bikes, motos, gear, etc. Very handy to have!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hey! Today was tough enough riding and thank God Doug used his quad to lay down a path but now with the Blizzard of 2010, tomorrow I'm use Snow Foot, and just think soon I will use the same tires for my 36er Snow Bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting to the Trail-1.jpg.gif  

Can't feel my legs
    I use my bike.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    yep, a nice volvo wagon would serve you well. preferably something pre-ford-takeover.

seriously moto, most anything can be pressed into service, but it's been my experience that wagon-types or economical small-suv-types seem to be the best blend of crap-carrying-vs-economy.

i know bunches of people with honda elements that love them for their bike hauling capy, front wheel off is the only thing though, but it all goes inside and that's nice.

i also know a fair number of people like me that use various subaru incanations, the wagon style makes it easy to carry lots of stuff and people and the car has enough structure to attach pretty much as much bike hauling capy as you want. Add a cheap tow-hitch on it and there's lots of DIY bike-racks designs out there to take advantage of it.

mtbr member
    i know bunches of people with honda elements that love them for their bike hauling capy, front wheel off is the only thing though, but it all goes inside and that's nice.
    My gf has an element, and I've never had to take the front wheel off my 29er. That thing could easily fit 3 or 4 bikes with gear if the back seats were taken out (or folded up)

But I still like my Cherokee better
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Blue Pig
    Moto, in 2012 all Sierra and Silverdo trucks are suppose to get over 30mpg. That's something to look forward too!

I currently use my 04' Silverdao z71 CC. 5.3L.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

Did you ever have ham?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Moto, in 2012 all Sierra and Silverdo trucks are suppose to get over 30mpg. That's something to look forward too!

I currently use my 04' Silverdao z71 CC. 5.3L.
    Thanks Blksocks, I didn't know that. I am going to go check out Chevy's website now and see what I can find!

Bear, do you know what kind of towing capacity your car has? In the summer it will also be used to haul motos!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My subie ( outback, 2.5L flat four, no turbo ) has a tow limit just at 3,000 pounds.

That camper trailer we have ( T@B ) weighs in just under 2k "wet" and I've had no problem towing it all over the SW USA (up and down mountains in Colorado and New Mexico). I would not say I set any land speed records, but then it wasn't necessary.

Newer Outbacks are larger and may haul more; as would likely the older Tribeca. How much does a trailer with a couple motos and stuff weigh - 1500 or so?

Did you ever have ham?

Getting to the Trail

I really do love my truck, but it is really rough to keep fuel in it. I did hit almost 21 1/2 with it on the highway once, but I had nothing in the back except for one mt bike laying down and some gear. I want to see what happens to the mileage with me, a passenger, two mt bikes, two motos, and gear. Probably not going to be too great!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

moto:

I like all the fuel saving improvements you have done to the Terminus Sliverado. You might be able to squeak more out with a bit of a cover on the undercarriage and wheel well fairings to stop the turbulence. Wheel covers add to helping also. UFO saucer discs.

Yes, there are many ways, but I'm thinking of the cheap one's that yield alot. Smaller side mirrors? Or is there a Pa inspection law that describes viewing area on a side mirror, of course cameras are more expensive.

For bicycles I think your OK but when you start loading Motos and gear more room is needed. Having the room to have is really nice. Pulling a trailer harbors more problems and wear on more parts, let alone another registration and finding a place to park it. Along with that is the towing and backing up, not too much of a problem but just more responsibility.

Our friend Rick B just got a Yaris and on the trip to Harrisburg it got 41MPG and it's brand new, so with some wear it will improve a bit after everything looses up. The rear seat folds down and you can get one bike in there. Might get 2 if you really disassemble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

But yeah, I'm not sure a specific type of car or truck is needed to transport a bicycle, unless your starting point is way off a paved road, in which case more ground clearance or AWD/4WD would be necessary.

Heck, until I picked up that Forester I used my Subaru Legacy sedan with the backseats folded down and my bike crammed through the pass-thru.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nice Suebee!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    haha, thanks, I've had it for about 3 months now. It's a 2001 that just turned 30,000 miles! It was owned by a 90 year old couple and is miiiiiiint. I am a Subaru salesman and to have found this on a trade-in is like striking gold

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I mainly use an outback, it really is awesome for camping/biking/hiking or anything else outdoor related. Great on gas as well if you don't drive on the loud pedal too often. Good ground clearance and awd help out a lot as well. Sometimes i take the a4 but its too low and i hate getting it dirty haha.

This is the only pic i can find with the roof rack on the outback:

and the a4 with rack: