Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fun at the Wiss!

Yay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fun at the Wiss!-img00287-20111003-1506.jpg  

mtbr member
    yikes!

Thumbs Up!
    I feel for you. I have walked my bike many miles at the Wis due to a flat or something minor, but that sucks. I hope your OK and that you have available warranty on that frame.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am fine. Two times in a row I've had to walk my bike home. 7+ mile walk. It sucked. The bike is 1 year old, so I am sure the warranty will cover it. It sounded like a sword being drawn when it happened.

mtbr member
    The Wiss is definitely hungry for bike parts these days, with conditions similar to back in the late 90's: tons of loose rocks, ravines, ditches and sharp rocks protruding in the lines... Blew out a couple rear tires lately and had to make trail side repairs, duct taping the holes from the inside of the tire...

Heard a funny recent quote: " The Wiss is the worlds best urban drainage ditch."
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant View Post
    The Wiss is definitely hungry for bike parts these days, with conditions similar to back in the late 90's: tons of loose rocks, ravines, ditches and sharp rocks protruding in the lines... Blew out a couple rear tires lately and had to make trail side repairs, duct taping the holes from the inside of the tire...

Heard a funny recent quote: " The Wiss is the worlds best urban drainage ditch."
    I wouldn't say the Wiss is the cause of the broken frame. It was a defect.

I honestly don't understand why people make the wiss out to be such a difficult and intense ride. I've been riding my single speed dirt jumper (i.e. hardtail with a 100 mm fork) just fine.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant View Post

Ha!

The Wiss = frame destroyer. My bike is the perfect example

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix View Post
    I wouldn't say the Wiss is the cause of the broken frame. It was a defect.

I honestly don't understand why people make the wiss out to be such a difficult and intense ride. I've been riding my single speed dirt jumper (i.e. hardtail with a 100 mm fork) just fine.
    Its because you're used to it.

Think back to your first few rides down in there. Unless your regular ride is Rothrock or somewhere else outside of SE PA there isn't much more technical trail than the Wiss. Combine that with variable conditions everytime it rains: loose rock, sharp rock, sand, mud, roots, drainage ruts, off camber sections, steep drops, steep climbs, broken glass, unleased dogs, an attempted rapist, killer trees (litterally- a branch fell on some poor girl jogging and killed her), angry hikers with the stink eye for bikers, angry dykes on horse back with a stink eye for everybody, and other assorted weirdos wandering the trails, you've got yourself an intimidating place to ride for the uninitiated suburbanite who normally rides State Parks full of butterflies, rainbows and puppy dogs with no worries about someone breaking into their hybrid SUV everytime they park in one of the main lots..
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What kind of frame is that? Unless you're taking 20ft drops, I really don't see how the Wiss will do that to your bike. I hope some sort of warranty will cover it so you can continue thrashing through Philly's jungle soon. Goodluck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bubble gum and duck tape will not fix that one. That sucks!

Dinner for wolves
    Schwing?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bike is fixed and covered under warranty. They replaced the whole rear. I am currently riding one of my other bikes in california, so it is enjoying a hiatus at the bike shop.

banned
    Apr 2009
    broken glass, unleased dogs, an attempted rapist, killer trees (litterally- a branch fell on some poor girl jogging and killed her), angry hikers with the stink eye for bikers, angry dykes on horse back with a stink eye for everybody, and other assorted weirdos wandering the trails, you've got yourself an intimidating place to ride for the uninitiated suburbanite who normally rides State Parks full of butterflies, rainbows and puppy dogs with no worries about someone breaking into their hybrid SUV everytime they park in one of the main lots..
    --Aint that the truth... Last year this fool was letting his dog bite everyone there also.. I had somethin' for him (but never ran into him at that spot).. It was documented on PMBA...

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    --Aint that the truth... Last year this fool was letting his dog bite everyone there also.. I had somethin' for him (but never ran into him at that spot).. It was documented on PMBA...
    Great... You guys make The Wiss sound like Detroit!
    I'm riding there tomorrow... I think I'll have to bring some protection!

Any suggestions for loops or where to park?
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post

I usually park around West Rittenhouse and Lincoln Drive. Or, on the other end, Northwestern Stables. Never a problem.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    depends on where you are coming from, but Janette Lane trail head is a good spot - never heard any problems there or any of the trail heads in the Rox neighborhoods are ok. The locals don't seem to tollerate people breaking into cars around there.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

It is a little weird there sometimes. Not uncommon to see crack heads wandering the trails. I have a small knife within easy reach at all times, its clipped to my camelback strap.

Great day yesterday... lots of riders out there but very few walkers and runners.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    It is a little weird there sometimes. Not uncommon to see crack heads wandering the trails. I have a small knife within easy reach at all times, its clipped to my camelback strap.

Great day yesterday... lots of riders out there but very few walkers and runners.
    Yeah I saw some strange people there yesterday...
    I carry a medium sized knife in my CamelBak... But I also brought my Walther PPS .40 just in case!

I saw TONS of runners in the morning... Mostly cute college girls running in large groups.

I have to say though... I wasn't really impressed with the trail system.
    It was a nice set-up... Well maintained and everything.
    But just not suited to my style of riding!

Everyone says the Wiss is super technical... But I thought it was just as smooth as White Clay.
    I'm used to riding in super huge rock gardens in French Creek and Bear Creek!
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Everyone says the Wiss is super technical... But I thought it was just as smooth as White Clay.
    Thank you! The Wiss is an easy ride.

Dinner for wolves
    I thought it was just as smooth as White Clay.
    Um, no.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Did you just ride Forbidden Drive or something? LOL.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yeah... I think you missed a lot of stuff

mtbr member
    I carry a medium sized knife in my CamelBak... But I also brought my Walther PPS .40 just in case!

I saw TONS of runners in the morning... Mostly cute college girls running in large groups.

I have to say though... I wasn't really impressed with the trail system.

Well, I agree that the Wiss is not as technical as French Creek or Bear Creek but it is nothing like White Clay.

Also, I have ridden in the Wis consistently since 1992-1993. I have never felt scared or been threatened by anyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I always ride Wiss with other people but my friend rides there a lot by himself. I've been riding there for 17 years and have never felt threatened or scared either. My friend is takes his kids there almost every weekend for hikes.

Depending on what trails you take the Wiss can seem smooth and not very technical. It has rocks but not necessarily rock gardens like FC. I think Wiss has more technical uphills compared to FC, they tend to be shorter but steeper than FC. I dab on uphills at Wiss more than I do at FC.

mtbr member
    Eckstream- you either missed alot or are one of the best riders around. I've been riding back there since '99 and have yet to clear the loop without one dab and only know a couple people who can do it. There are some sections that are more technical than anything FC has inmo. I ride FC alot also and I think FC and Wiss are actually pretty comparable for the amount of technical- mixed with some nice flow. Niether compares to Middle Run. Middle run is like a fat girl- fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you.

Also, there is alot of weird **** back there, but I have never felt unsafe. I run/ride at night sometimes, xc ski at night when there's snow, am always solo, the only thing you see is a bunch of kids under the bridge having a kegger (they'll usually offer you a beer). I did start carrying pepper spray the last few years - but its for the dogs, not the people, and I still have yet to use it.

You guys with knives and guns have a false sense of security. You'll never have time to whip it out of your camel back, until you're already getting mangled - you'll also have to be upclose and personal to use a knife. Frankly if someone is that hell bent on committing violence to you, you're better off riding as fast as you can in the other direction. I would recommend the peper spray most regulars carry in their jersey pocket or other quickly accessible place.

The biggest danger back there is getting your car broken into in the main lots at Wises Mill or Bells Mill, some d-bag's unleashed dog chasing you, or some hiker giving you the stink eye. Park in the Rox neighborhood trail head, be aware of your surroundings, say hello to everyone (even if their a d-bag - it throws them off that you're speaking to them) and you'll have many fun, uneventful rides back there.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by eckstream1 View Post
    yeah i saw some strange people there yesterday...
    I carry a medium sized knife in my camelbak... But i also brought my walther pps .40 just in case!

I saw tons of runners in the morning... Mostly cute college girls running in large groups. :d

i have to say though... I wasn't really impressed with the trail system.

Everyone says the wiss is super technical... But i thought it was just as smooth as white clay.
    I'm used to riding in super huge rock gardens in french creek and bear creek!
    lmfao
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Did you just ride Forbidden Drive or something? LOL.
    No, no, no...

LOL

I started at Chestnut Hill College and rode the multi use brown trails to the yellow trail down to Pachella Field.
    The sky to the north was a dark grey and it started to flurry so my buddy and I decided to head back... He was also running short on time and freezing by that point.

I did see a guy on a Specialized crash on one of the uphills and roll down a slope off the trail... I had no problem clearing that section.

I realize I didn't ride the whole park... But enough to get a feel for it.

I'm not the best rider in the world, but I have been riding since '97 and have rode all over the world from East Coast to West Coast and Italy, France and Switzerland and Japan.

When I talk about rock gardens at French Creek I don't mean the Mill Creek trail that everyone rides... I prefer the Six Penny Trail and Lenape Trail.

I do want to make it down to the Wiss again and get further south into the park and find the Kitchens Lane Re-Route and a few other trails... So maybe someone would be willing to show me around sometime!

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    You guys with knives and guns have a false sense of security. You'll never have time to whip it out of your camel back, until you're already getting mangled - you'll also have to be upclose and personal to use a knife. Frankly if someone is that hell bent on committing violence to you, you're better off riding as fast as you can in the other direction. I would recommend the peper spray most regulars carry in their jersey pocket or other quickly accessible place.
    Riding away would be my first instinct... As required by law.
    But if I have to I can get to my Walther pretty quick... I carry in a Belly Band. All I have to do is pull my jersey up about 3in and I have clear access to it...

I hope I never have to use it but you just never know... Same with my spare derailleur hanger I carry.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    lmfao

What's so funny? LOL

mtbr member
    Eckstream - You missed alot of the rockier stuff, which is on the chestnut hill side of the Wiss Creek. The meadows reroute is totally smooth and quite different from the rest of the trails(this would have been at the top of the first big climb off Bells Mills), with the exception of the section at the Kitchen's Lane re-route (they made that like its handicap accessible, but you can rip down it). from what you said you would prefer to ride the sections on chestnut hill side.

If you came in the same way you described above, go across Bells MIll and pick up the trail and head south, that will take you through some more challenging trail, including the climb to the indian statute (heading south it is hard, heading north it is no problem).

Enjoy and don't go shooting anybody, ...

Nickel Havr
    Eckstream - You missed alot of the rockier stuff, which is on the chestnut hill side of the Wiss Creek. The meadows reroute is totally smooth and quite different from the rest of the trails(this would have been at the top of the first big climb off Bells Mills), with the exception of the section at the Kitchen's Lane re-route (they made that like its handicap accessible, but you can rip down it). from what you said you would prefer to ride the sections on chestnut hill side.

If you came in the same way you described above, go across Bells MIll and pick up the trail and head south, that will take you through some more challenging trail, including the climb to the indian statute (heading south it is hard, heading north it is no problem).

Enjoy and don't go shooting anybody, ...
    Thanks for the heads up!
    That should help me next time I get down to the Wiss...

And don't worry... I don't plan on shooting anyone!

Dinner for wolves
    Riding away would be my first instinct... As required by law.
    But if I have to I can get to my Walther pretty quick... I carry in a Belly Band. All I have to do is pull my jersey up about 3in and I have clear access to it...

I hope I never have to use it but you just never know... Same with my spare derailleur hanger I carry.
    Wow. I thought he was joking about the pistol. The irony of a visitor bringing a gun to a Philly trail because he heard it was dangerous...too rich.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I think my wife wore a belly band when she was pregnant,same thing?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Wow. I thought he was joking about the pistol. The irony of a visitor bringing a gun to a Philly trail because he heard it was dangerous...too rich.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if I actually had to defend my family and myself against a meth head with a weapon and I didn't have a gun?
    Do you ride with a pump and a spare tube? Because it's the same thing...

Anyway lets leave politics out of this....
    Thanks for the Neg Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    I think my wife wore a belly band when she was pregnant,same thing?
    I'm sure it's similar...
    Does it look like this?

mtbr member
    I can't figure out how you ride with that thing strapped to your stomach - got to be uncomfortable. A Walther PPS .40 is a hand cannon, its compact but still must have some weight to it - you spend the extra hundred bucks for XTR components with carbon fiber to shave weight and just put it back on carrying around a gun on your belly? Not to mention the fact that the short barrel means you're not going to hit the broad side of a barn unless its within 10yards.

Eckstream - Since you don't live in Philly - here is some info to make you less scared, so you don't go all Bernie Getz on somebody - the 5th district is one of the safest if not safest hoods in Philly, most of the crime is domestic or simple theft - you can look up the crime stats on the web. I think its been two years or more since there has been a shooting and that was down at the bars on Main. I can't recall when the last murder was, but its prob been 5 years or more and again I think that was robbery in one of the bars on Main.

There have been a couple assults and an attempted rape - on Forbidden Drive right near Valley Green of all places- I have not heard of anything going on in the upper trails. Think about your general user of the upper trails - fit runners, bikers- people who are fast and strong or both- not your usual prey for criminals; they are like any other predator, they like something easy with good odds of success. they stick to the old, weak, or clueless for the most part. A gun in Wiss is really not necessary.

Dinner for wolves
    Wouldn't it be ironic if I actually had to defend my family and myself against a meth head with a weapon and I didn't have a gun?
    Do you ride with a pump and a spare tube? Because it's the same thing...

Anyway lets leave politics out of this....
    Thanks for the Neg Rep!

I'm sure it's similar...
    Does it look like this?

Two things Eckstream:
    1. I have never neg repped anyone, nor do I plan to. I prefer to tell people how I feel in a more public and less anonymous fashion.
    2. There are very few meth heads in Philly. We prefer crack, PCP, marijuana and alcohol here.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure if there is a better place to post, but just wanted to get some local riders thoughts... I ride mostly at the Wiss and then some other local places. Have a hard-tail 29er but I want to pick up a new bike, and was thinking FS 29 (4-5 inches travel) - but I'm worried it would be too much bike for that type of trail. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    Not sure if there is a better place to post, but just wanted to get some local riders thoughts... I ride mostly at the Wiss and then some other local places. Have a hard-tail 29er but I want to pick up a new bike, and was thinking FS 29 (4-5 inches travel) - but I'm worried it would be too much bike for that type of trail. Thoughts?
    I ride my 100 mm hardtail and 120 mm FS and they are both fine at the Wiss. I don't think you'll find 4-5 in travel too much bike for the place.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    That sucks, sorry to see the break.

Nickel Havr
    I can't figure out how you ride with that thing strapped to your stomach - got to be uncomfortable. A Walther PPS .40 is a hand cannon, its compact but still must have some weight to it - you spend the extra hundred bucks for XTR components with carbon fiber to shave weight and just put it back on carrying around a gun on your belly? Not to mention the fact that the short barrel means you're not going to hit the broad side of a barn unless its within 10yards.
    I carry on a daily basis so I guess I'm just used to the weight... It doesn't flop around in the bellyband or anything so it's pretty comfortable.

I practice at least once a week and can usually put 17 out of 20 rounds in the ten ring at 20 yards with the Walther (I also shoot 1000yd high power rifle)...

I didn't mean to get people in a stir here... Where I come from it's completely normal for people to carry for self defense. It is completely LEGAL to carry in Philadelphia and I am licensed to do so. I also live in Reading, Pa where crime is a major problem maybe more so than in Philly... So I always carry. Everywhere I'm legally able to do so...

Besides... Statistically there were probably several other armed law abiding citizens in the park on the same day. You just didn't know it...

Nickel Havr
    I'd like to thank the annonymous person who left me negative rep!

I think it's funny that someone too scared to leave their name is the one to call me a "deusch bag"...

You're so cool!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    I ride a Superfly100 in there and feel that it has to be one of the best bikes for the job. It does everything very well. A Hardtail 29'er is great too, I will compare full loop times once we get back to fairly consistent weather.

mtbr member
    This thread is bumming me out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    This thread is bumming me out.
    No way! Wiss is good to go. Way too many people (witnesses) frequent that place for there to be any danger. If some kind of goon is out looking for trouble than they have got to be the dumbest a$$ person.

mtbr member
    It's not that. i'm at Wiss all teh time. I've never felt threatened in any way what so ever. I'm not necessarily against carrying a weapon, it's just depressign to me that some people find my favorite riding spot dangerous enough to need to.

I quit e-MTBR
    It's not that. i'm at Wiss all teh time. I've never felt threatened in any way what so ever. I'm not necessarily against carrying a weapon, it's just depressign to me that some people find my favorite riding spot dangerous enough to need to.
    Captain Bellyband says he carries his gun every day, so I don't think his opinion about how dangerous someplace is means much. Dimwits who carry guns on their waist when they ride scare me a hell of a lot more than his imaginary Wiss meth heads do. I have never heard of any rider carrying a gun in the Wiss, and I'd never ride with one who does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Captain Bellyband says he carries his gun every day, so I don't think his opinion about how dangerous someplace is means much. Dimwits who carry guns on their waist when they ride scare me a hell of a lot more than his imaginary Wiss meth heads do. I have never heard of any rider carrying a gun in the Wiss, and I'd never ride with one who does.
    To be quite honest, I have seen some sketchy people there, and have turned around to avoid them.

What I really really dislike are the people who allow their dogs off leash. I don't want to hit your dog, have your dog bite me, or anything else happen.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Was just in the Wiss on Saturday after the snow. It was much fun. I do enjoy riding there the few times I get to per year. There are plenty of fun rock gardens to play around in. On my geared bike in the summer I can clean most/all of them, but Saturday I struggled with the snow on my rigid SS. It was great fun through. Problem is that it's 1.5 hrs from me, and if I'm going to drive 1.5 hrs to ride somewhere on a regular basis, I'm going to the Frederick Watershed 9.5 times out of 10. Definitely like the Wiss though!
    Brought to you by rocks.

Nickel Havr
    Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have....
    Why call me a dimwit? Did I call you names? Do you know me? Have you ever met me?
    Narrow minded people like you are dimwits...

I don't live in an imaginary world... I live in Reading, Pa.
    If you don't know about it then you should read the news...
    Reading was rated the 6th highest in the country for violent crime and murder (per capita)... And a few years ago was the highest rated.

People say Reading is safe... But the everyday murders and home invasions tell me otherwise.

So keep in mind that we don't all live in million dollar neighborhoods and have private security details...

Nickel Havr
    I had no problems at the Wiss... I had a great time!
    However the world is a nasty place and I like to be prepared for things... Just like carrying a spare tube and pump.

(Also in my case a spare derailleur hanger)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To be quite honest, I have seen some sketchy people there, and have turned around to avoid them.

What I really really dislike are the people who allow their dogs off leash. I don't want to hit your dog, have your dog bite me, or anything else happen.
    I've got to say this seems a little over the top. I have been riding there for a very long time...about 14 years...Never seen a person that caused me to divert from my intended path. Sounds like you've had this occurrence more than once by your wording. Not meaning to be critical, but this just seems odd.

There was once a homeless cat (I mean dude) that lived out in the woods I believe...I'd see him out, usually when I was riding the Belmont trails that were closer to the Falls Bridge area. We all were familiar with him (other locals), and he was actualy really cool. We'd nod at each other and say hi when we saw each other. He was sorta long haired, grizzled. Stopped seeing him some time ago, hope he has faired OK.

I have never been bitten by a dog, nor hassled by one at Wiss. Never. On or off the leash. I see plenty of them. I've never been chased by a leashless dog. I think nothing of the dogs, except to say hi to them and their owners. Those dogs on leashes probably wish you were on one. How bad would that suck if you were a dog that just wanted to have a decent time, and you had some strap around your neck with some A-hole on the other end of it, yanking on it...?

Anyway, your experience might be different, but it almost sounds as if we're riding in different states.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had no problems at the Wiss... I had a great time!
    However the world is a nasty place and I like to be prepared for things... Just like carrying a spare tube and pump.

(Also in my case a spare derailleur hanger)
    Eck,

it might be a liberating thing for you to leave your piece locked in its case in your car or home. You just simply are not going to need it here. I promise. You've got a better chance of being assaulted by a falling tree limb. Or hit by a running deer. Seriously.

If a place was worth riding with a loaded piece, it really wouldn't be worth riding...

You're out to have fun on your bike. Let down your guard and ride...?

Just something to think about.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Eck,

it might be a liberating thing for you to leave your piece locked in its case in your car or home. You just simply are not going to need it here. I promise. You've got a better chance of being assaulted by a falling tree limb. Or hit by a running deer. Seriously.

If a place was worth riding with a loaded piece, it really wouldn't be worth riding...

You're out to have fun on your bike. Let down your guard and ride...?

Just something to think about.
    As a responsible firearm owner... I would never leave it locked in my car at the Wiss!
    There are seriously hundreds of stories of vehicle break-ins in the trail review... I wouldn't want my firearm used illegally!

I haven't had a flat tire in over 3 years... But I still carry a tube and pump!

Rest assured everyone... There is nothing dangerous about me carrying while I ride! There will be no negligent discharges... Or anything like that.

It's also not about needing it IN the park... But on the way to or from the park or grabbing some food after the ride. You just never know...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got to say this seems a little over the top. I have been riding there for a very long time...about 14 years...Never seen a person that caused me to divert from my intended path. Sounds like you've had this occurrence more than once by your wording. Not meaning to be critical, but this just seems odd.

There was once a homeless cat (I mean dude) that lived out in the woods I believe...I'd see him out, usually when I was riding the Belmont trails that were closer to the Falls Bridge area. We all were familiar with him (other locals), and he was actualy really cool. We'd nod at each other and say hi when we saw each other. He was sorta long haired, grizzled. Stopped seeing him some time ago, hope he has faired OK.

I have never been bitten by a dog, nor hassled by one at Wiss. Never. On or off the leash. I see plenty of them. I've never been chased by a leashless dog. I think nothing of the dogs, except to say hi to them and their owners. Those dogs on leashes probably wish you were on one. How bad would that suck if you were a dog that just wanted to have a decent time, and you had some strap around your neck with some A-hole on the other end of it, yanking on it...?

Anyway, your experience might be different, but it almost sounds as if we're riding in different states.
    Lucky you to not have negative experiences. Ask the guy who got his head bashed in by some thugs in the fall down on Forbidden Drive...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why is everyone giving this guy such a hard time about carrying a gun legally? Are you gonna attack him? If so, well now you know you might get shot. Otherwise, why is it your business? I doubt he is going to start twirling it around while riding down the trail... Actually, I think it'd be kinda funny if he did. You guys have no idea how many people have guns and other weapons on them. Bet you a bunch of people who have broken into cars in and around the wiss have had some sort of weapon on them.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

I've been riding there since 94. Have been bitten once (not seriously) and chased/nipped at my heels many times. Unfortunately for every person that has their properly trained dogs on those trails there are 3 that don't have a clue. Bottom line - rules say the dogs need to be leashed and don't say I need to be leashed. If a dog chases me I'm going to tell the owner where to stick it. I make a point to thank owners who have dogs trained well enough that they don't even give me a second glance.

Back in 2004-5, when I actually lived in manayunk and was riding there 3-4 times a week in the summer, I had a group of 4 kids step out in front of me on the trail and say that they wanted my bike. Not little kids, decent sized kids - 11th, 12th graders. Right as I had to decide to fight or try to run a group of 2 riders came around the corner and the kids turned away and started walking. Thats why I have the knife - a little something is better than nothing. There's a surplus of douschy wanna-be gangster kids in that area. Most other riding spots in the region don't have that element right across the street.

Nickel Havr
    Why is everyone giving this guy such a hard time about carrying a gun legally? Are you gonna attack him? If so, well now you know you might get shot. Otherwise, why is it your business? I doubt he is going to start twirling it around while riding down the trail... Actually, I think it'd be kinda funny if he did. You guys have no idea how many people have guns and other weapons on them. Bet you a bunch of people who have broken into cars in and around the wiss have had some sort of weapon on them.
    Thanks for the support! Rep coming your way as soon as I can leave more rep...

And to all the naysayers out there... You don't think you'll ever need protection on a trail?
    Well here ya go... I live less than 2mi from this trail and ride it on a weekly basis!
    Read the article!

Police at scene of shooting in West Reading

"Dispatchers are reporting that the man with the gun was riding on the trail when the two suspects approached him and tried to rob him. The shooter told police he had a gun and shot the two men in self-defense"

Just happened today...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As a responsible firearm owner... I would never leave it locked in my car at the Wiss!
    There are seriously hundreds of stories of vehicle break-ins in the trail review... I wouldn't want my firearm used illegally!

I haven't had a flat tire in over 3 years... But I still carry a tube and pump!

Rest assured everyone... There is nothing dangerous about me carrying while I ride! There will be no negligent discharges... Or anything like that.

It's also not about needing it IN the park... But on the way to or from the park or grabbing some food after the ride. You just never know...
    You know what? I don't think that anyone thinks that 'you're' dangerous. What I think is going through the majority of the heads in here, with the exception of those those that are giving you kudos, is that it is a sad thing that you feel the need to walk around 'strapped' at all times. (i'm not saying that to sound flippant or insulting, so don't take it that way, it's just a realistic statement).

I'm all about having second ammendment rights, and keeping them. I grew up hunting, shooting (auto, semi, single round, archery...and I am a damned good mark). I also believe in defending oneself, with force if necessary.

But riding at Wiss with a gun strapped to your gut...so you're ready for 'anything' that may or may not happen is just plain overkill. No other way to put it. Same goes for the idea that 'something' might go down at the store. This isn't Detroit.

If cosmic law is ever at work or even legitimate (not sure if I believe in that sort of thing although some folks do), it would stand to reason that if something does take place, it's because you are attracting it. Again, I don't believe in that, and seriously doubt that you will ever need a piece while riding at Wiss, or Belmont.

Have there been crimes commited at Wiss? Yes. What's the probability of it happening to anyone at any given time? Can't say statistically, but would bet the odds are pretty low. Probably right there with getting struck by lightening.

Another point is that, if something does go down, either at Wiss, or at the A-plus market or somewhere like that, are you going to be able to ready your weapon and actually do a damned thing with it? No offense, but I seriously doubt it. That's not meant personally towards you. I doubt many people in that sort of circumstance are going to be able to do a damned thing, except for maybe get themselves killed if the offender is also packing.

We all wish we were Josey Wales, but alas we're not. Not even close.

Anyway, you are going to carry if you want to carry. It's your right, and your prerogative. I support that right, I just think you're over the top and it saddens me because I don't think you personally need it, at Wiss or in Reading.

Nickel Havr
    It is sad... It really is.
    The world is going to hell in a handbasket... And quick.

But protecting myself and my family is better than the alternative...
    Being killed...
    Or never leaving a "Safe Room"...

See my above post...

I quit e-MTBR
    Man shoots himself in the penis after tucking fiancée's pink pistol in his waist band

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:34 PM on 9th August 2011

A suburban Phoenix man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the penis while putting his fiancee's pink gun in the waistband of his pants.

Chandler police say 27-year-old Joshua Seto and his fiancee Cara Christopher were walking toward a grocery store when the shooting happened last week.

The gun fired, striking Mr Seto's penis and continuing through his left thigh.

Ms Christopher, 26, who called 911, can be heard telling a dispatcher 'He's still conscious, there is just a lot of blood,' in tapes released by MyFoxPhoenix.

The operator told Ms Christopher to apply direct pressure to the wound with a dry towel or T-shirt and avoid looking at it.

Ms Christopher, sounding surprisingly calm, said: 'I did look at it. It's pretty bad.'

The shooting took place at approximately 7:30pm on Tuesday on the 900 block of W Elliot Road near the Fry's Food & Drug store.

Chandler Police Detective Seth Tyler was unsure of the type of gun, or whether it had a safety that was off.

He also said it is unclear if Mr Seto has been released from the hospital or suffered any permanent damage.

The man also face charges.

'The case agent is still determining that,' Det Tyler said.

In the wake of the shooting, Det Tyler warned residents to use holsters, not waistbands, if they are going to carry a handgun.

'Whenever you handle a firearm, whether you are a novice or experienced, always treat firearms as though they are loaded. If you are going to carry a handgun on your person, use a holster, not your waistband,' he said.

--------------

Then there's this guy: Man Accidentally Shoots Himself in the Testicles

And this guy: GLOCK Accidental Discharge?

And these guys: Man killed by his own concealed weapon

Watch out. If you shoot your penis off, Bellyband might cancel your sponsorship.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been riding there since 94. Have been bitten once (not seriously) and chased/nipped at my heels many times. Unfortunately for every person that has their properly trained dogs on those trails there are 3 that don't have a clue. Bottom line - rules say the dogs need to be leashed and don't say I need to be leashed. If a dog chases me I'm going to tell the owner where to stick it. I make a point to thank owners who have dogs trained well enough that they don't even give me a second glance.

Back in 2004-5, when I actually lived in manayunk and was riding there 3-4 times a week in the summer, I had a group of 4 kids step out in front of me on the trail and say that they wanted my bike. Not little kids, decent sized kids - 11th, 12th graders. Right as I had to decide to fight or try to run a group of 2 riders came around the corner and the kids turned away and started walking. Thats why I have the knife - a little something is better than nothing. There's a surplus of douschy wanna-be gangster kids in that area. Most other riding spots in the region don't have that element right across the street.
    You need to be leashed...(sorry, you baited me, just messing around with you)

Well, I'm sure that the owners that get thanks from you can sleep better at night. All that training of their dog(s) paid off. ( The point I'm trying to make is this...I myself would find it insulting if some hiker took it upon him or herself to thank me for not mowing them down, which I never do anyway, because it would come off as condescending, and I would be left wondering just who the f*** they thought they were, as if they were some sort of authority. Maybe that's not how you're coming off to the owners, but chances are...let's be honest.)

Honestly the areas where the aggrevation between users comes in is where the different types of trail users have this sort of "righteous indignace" about their right to use the trails with out the bothers of other users. Hikers don't like the bikers, bikers don't like the hikers, bikers don't want to be even looked at by dogs etc. etc. etc. This is the truth to varying degree, depending on the tempermant and self-absorbtion of each user. On one end, you have totally laid back folks who are just simply happy to say hi to anyone, be curteous and respectful of others regardless of their mode of use or whether they have dogs, leashed or not. On the other end, you have your general snoot that thinks that everyone should cater to 'their' experience while out there. I classify myself as the former. I am friendly to all. I slow down, I say hello. Sometimes I stop and talk. I pet dogs. Sometimes it's a bummer to have to slow down on a nice section that you were lookig forward to, but that's life, and it's called common curtouesy.

In all reality, I have more of an issue with other cyclists out there that seem to have the whole 'better than you' attitude going, than with anyone else. Some knobs a couple weeks ago were giving my wife and me the stare down for some reason, and then the frosty glare when she dabbed in front of them...on a section that they themselves couldn't clean...I was nice and smiley to them prior to that, (while riding right through what they couldn't) but after she told me of that, I wanted to ride with them the entire time so that I could have made fools of them.

In regards to your being toughed by some students, sorry to hear about that. Since '97 I have never had such an occurrence. Had some close calls with some BIG deer, but never with anyone. (Back when I was racing, and training there a lot more often, I actually had an mid-aged woman stop me and comment about how 'big my legs muscles' were. She had that look in her eye.) But, no, never have I felt worried about a single person I have crossed out there. Maybe I'm lucky?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Man shoots himself in the penis after tucking fiancée's pink pistol in his waist band

By Daily Mail Reporter

A suburban Phoenix man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the penis while putting his fiancee's pink gun in the waistband of his pants.

Chandler police say 27-year-old Joshua Seto and his fiancee Cara Christopher were walking toward a grocery store when the shooting happened last week.

The gun fired, striking Mr Seto's penis and continuing through his left thigh.

Ms Christopher, 26, who called 911, can be heard telling a dispatcher 'He's still conscious, there is just a lot of blood,' in tapes released by MyFoxPhoenix.

The operator told Ms Christopher to apply direct pressure to the wound with a dry towel or T-shirt and avoid looking at it.

Ms Christopher, sounding surprisingly calm, said: 'I did look at it. It's pretty bad.'

The shooting took place at approximately 7:30pm on Tuesday on the 900 block of W Elliot Road near the Fry's Food & Drug store.

Chandler Police Detective Seth Tyler was unsure of the type of gun, or whether it had a safety that was off.

He also said it is unclear if Mr Seto has been released from the hospital or suffered any permanent damage.

The man also face charges.

'The case agent is still determining that,' Det Tyler said.

In the wake of the shooting, Det Tyler warned residents to use holsters, not waistbands, if they are going to carry a handgun.

'Whenever you handle a firearm, whether you are a novice or experienced, always treat firearms as though they are loaded. If you are going to carry a handgun on your person, use a holster, not your waistband,' he said.

--------------

Watch out. If you shoot your penis off, Bellyband might cancel your sponsorship.
    Ha! His 'gun' will never shoot again and his fiance will surely be looking elsewhere. Bet the world on it. The fact the gun was pink is interesting I suppose. Or maybe not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It is sad... It really is.
    The world is going to hell in a handbasket... And quick.

But protecting myself and my family is better than the alternative...
    Being killed...
    Or never leaving a "Safe Room"...

See my above post...
    Saw it. Doesn't prove that using deadly force with a gun was merited. But, I will venture to guess that even if not, the shooter will have no problems for social reasons. Again just guessing.

This also doesn't prove that packing in Reading is a worthy endeavor.

***edit.

I guess the thing in analyzation here is the proposition that there are only two choices...Either pack heat all the time, everywhere, (seems like an SNL short could be made from this: Picture an entire family strapped with pieces, even the baby, while at a picnic or something other other...an acorn drops and they all go into commando mode...discuss) or never leave a ' Safe Room'.

Seems bleak. Unnecessarily so.
    Last edited by jochribs; 01-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe they do. I just find it odd that I have not had any real confrontaions with them...

Nickel Havr

By Daily Mail Reporter

Well now, obviously you missed the point!
    In all but one of your examples, the accidental discharge was caused by carrying a loaded weapon without a holster, in a waistband... An improper way to carry.

In your other example the guy was reholstering his weapon... More improper handling!
    Your firearm should NEVER clear leather unless you intend to use it!

But I guess you just can't fix stupid...

Which brings me back to you...

So instead of answering my questions you chose to deflect and post unrelated articles...
    You have constantly trolled this thread with your self rightous veiws...
    And you have failed to properly present your evidence on why a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN is a danger to OTHER PEOPLE while they are carrying.

If you want to live in a gun free society you're more than welcome....
    Move to England or Austrailia... See how well it works to prevent violent crime

I am done with you...
    /ownage

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lucky you to not have negative experiences. Ask the guy who got his head bashed in by some thugs in the fall down on Forbidden Drive...
    Sorry missed this one,

Yes lucky me. Guess I dodged that bullet and still have time to get strapped, huh?

The world isn't so scary, me thinks...

Nickel Havr
    Sorry missed this one,

Yes lucky me. Guess I dodged that bullet and still have time to get strapped, huh?

Think some more...

The guy that got his head bashed in was assualted by several people...
    They didn't bother to rob him...
    They just assualted him for "fun"...

Elderly victim waved to attackers before Forbidden Drive assault

84-year-old attacked by 4 in Fairmount Park | 6abc.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry missed this one,

If you so choose to, then go right ahead. Learn how to handle it and respect the responsibility that comes with carrying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you so choose to, then go right ahead. Learn how to handle it and respect the responsibility that comes with carrying.
    Cicatrix.

I have more gun responsibility and handling experience than you will ever have. I promise you that. But thanks for your condescending retort to my pointed sarcasm about feeling the 'need' to be strapped while at Wissahickon.

Let me know when you want to go to the range...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You need to be leashed...(sorry, you baited me, just messing around with you)

Well, I'm sure that the owners that get thanks from you can sleep better at night. All that training of their dog(s) paid off. ( The point I'm trying to make is this...I myself would find it insulting if some hiker took it upon him or herself to thank me for not mowing them down, which I never do anyway, because it would come off as condescending, and I would be left wondering just who the f*** they thought they were, as if they were some sort of authority. Maybe that's not how you're coming off to the owners, but chances are...let's be honest.)
    Christ dude - of course hikers aren't thanking you for not mowing them down. Trail rules and common courtesy around the world says you're not supposed to run people down. Again - leash rules exist because most people don't have their dogs trained to handle unexpected stimulus. Dogs don't have common sense to think "maybe I shouldn't stick my face in these spokes".

People that take the time to train their dogs don't find a compliment condescending at all. They've put effort into it. People like when others notice their results. These are people that are out on the trails regularly - a few I've talked to do the whole spectrum of activities - hiking, running, riding... with the dogs.

The people that have dogs that chase bikers and other people are clearly not regular "outdoors" types. They go out for a nature walk with the family once a year and they let the dogs off leash because "we're out in the woods, it's safe". This what you get at the wiss on weekends. Its in a major metropolitan area. I never see this stuff happen at more remote places like fair hill or french creek. People that go out of their way to places like that know how to handle themselves, and their dogs. Generally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Think some more...

The guy that got his head bashed in was assualted by several people...
    They didn't bother to rob him...
    They just assualted him for "fun"...

Elderly victim waved to attackers before Forbidden Drive assault

84-year-old attacked by 4 in Fairmount Park | 6abc.com
    Eck,

I'm thinking. And I am thinking some more. Still not scared. Think I'm going to go for a night ride in fact. I'll bring my shock pump, some HEED. Maybe a tube. I really don't get flats though...

That being said, I think what happened there is disgusting. No two ways about it.

I still don't feel the need to carry while at Wiss. And I never will.

Which brings up the question...why did you even feel the need to inform the forum that you were carrying at our trails? What was the point of that? It seems a little needy, if i may say so. No one needed to know that you were going to be riding along with your side arm attached to your gut. It actually seems a little irresponsible to broadcast such information.

I get the feeling that you aren't the type that is carrying because you feel threatened or unsafe. I have a pretty good hunch that you're of the sort that is carrying and hoping for the ability to use it. The underlying reason for that is most likely hate.

Could be wrong,

but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Christ dude - of course hikers aren't thanking you for not mowing them down. Trail rules and common courtesy around the world says you're not supposed to run people down. Again - leash rules exist because most people don't have their dogs trained to handle unexpected stimulus. Dogs don't have common sense to think "maybe I shouldn't stick my face in these spokes".

People that take the time to train their dogs don't find a compliment condescending at all. They've put effort into it. People like when others notice their results. These are people that are out on the trails regularly - a few I've talked to do the whole spectrum of activities - hiking, running, riding... with the dogs.

The people that have dogs that chase bikers and other people are clearly not regular "outdoors" types. They go out for a nature walk with the family once a year and they let the dogs off leash because "we're out in the woods, it's safe". This what you get at the wiss on weekends. Its in a major metropolitan area. I never see this stuff happen at more remote places like fair hill or french creek. People that go out of their way to places like that know how to handle themselves, and their dogs. Generally.

Fellow V-dub appreciater...

if I were there and walking my dog, and you said 'thanks for having your dog trained' to me, I'd tell you to shove it up your ass. There is no way that a person is going to appreciate a condescending 'compliment' like that.

And you missed the connection that I was trying to make between not mowing down hikers and dogs not running wild.

Anyway, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm going to concede here and maybe next weekend set up a table by the Inn. On the table will be complimentary dog leashes and Belly Bands...

See you folks on the trails.

***oh, also on the complimentary table will be exclusive, 20% off coupons for "Safe Room" construction. But they will have an expiration date, so don't dally too long on that one.
    Last edited by jochribs; 01-26-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cicatrix.

I have more gun responsibility and handling experience than you will ever have. I promise you that. But thanks for your condescending retort to my pointed sarcasm about feeling the 'need' to be strapped while at Wissahickon.

Let me know when you want to go to the range...
    I had no idea all of this was really about who is the more manly man.

Nickel Havr

Which brings up the question...why did you even feel the need to inform the forum that you were carrying at our trails? What was the point of that? No one needed to know that you were going to be riding along with your side arm attached to your gut. It actually seems a little irresponsible to broadcast such information.

I get the feeling that you aren't the type that is carrying because you feel threatened or unsafe. I have a pretty good hunch that you're of the sort that is carrying and hoping for the ability to use it. The underlying reason for that is most likely hate.

Could be wrong,

but I doubt it.
    Irresponsible? I don't think so... In fact if I were to openly carry, as in not hide it, I would still be within the laws set forth by our state... And everyone would have been able to see it.

While this may not be the smartest thing to do, I still have the right to do so... Why can't people understand that?

I hope I never need to defend my life with lethal force... I really do. But when it comes down to it... It's either them or me. And it sure won't be me if I can help it.

I also don't hate anyone... I would prefer that the world could straighten itself out and I wouldn't have to carry. But that just isn't the way things are. The cold hard reality is that the world is a dirty dangerous place... And I realize that and choose to be aware of that fact and never forget it.

For all you know... I could be the victim of a violent crime. Maybe someone broke into my house and tied my family up... And did terrible things. Maybe I decided that I would no longer be a victim and thought long and hard about my options...

So instead of pointing fingers and getting all self rightous, maybe you should look at how you are coming off... You could be the irresponsible one for not understanding why some people do things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had no idea all of this was really about who is the more manly man.
    Really Cica? Trying to back pedal and take the passive high road all of a sudden? Your comment was intened to condescend, most likely because you had nothing better to say, yet needed some sort of last word to redeem your frightened view.

I was not saying I am more manly, (although I probably am, in all honesty. You change direction when you see people that make your rear tighten up), I was simply saying that since you see the need to inform me of how I should carry (as if I would), you can come to the range with me and eat your words. Period.

As I stated in an earlier post, I am in support of gun rights. I grew up shooting and have multiple fire arms. I think it is moronic however, to ride around in Wissahickon with a gun. Period.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Really Cica? Trying to back pedal and take the passive high road all of a sudden? Your comment was intened to condescend, most likely because you had nothing better to say, yet needed some sort of last word to redeem your frightened view.

I was not saying I am more manly, (although I probably am, in all honesty. You change direction when you see people that make your rear tighten up), I was simply saying that since you see the need to inform me of how I should carry (as if I would), you can come to the range with me and eat your words. Period.

As I stated in an earlier post, I am in support of gun rights. I grew up shooting and have multiple fire arms. I think it is moronic however, to ride around in Wissahickon with a gun. Period.
    Actually my comment was not condescending, you just read it that way. I'm not back pedaling, just curious why you felt the need to posture and insult people. I mean I could very easily insult you because you are leaving yourself wide open, but I'm not going to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Irresponsible? I don't think so... In fact if I were to openly carry, as in not hide it, I would still be within the laws set forth by our state... And everyone would have been able to see it.

While this may not be the smartest thing to do, I still have the right to do so... Why can't people understand that?

I hope I never need to defend my life with lethal force... I really do. But when it comes down to it... It's either them or me. And it sure won't be me if I can help it.

I also don't hate anyone... I would prefer that the world could straighten itself out and I wouldn't have to carry. But that just isn't the way things are. The cold hard reality is that the world is a dirty dangerous place... And I realize that and choose to be aware of that fact and never forget it.

For all you know... I could be the victim of a violent crime. Maybe someone broke into my house and tied my family up... And did terrible things. Maybe I decided that I would no longer be a victim and thought long and hard about my options...

So instead of pointing fingers and getting all self rightous, maybe you should look at how you are coming off... You could be the irresponsible one for not understanding why some people do things.
    I think that if that did happen, you wouldn't be talking in hypotheticals. Just my take. The world is only as dangerous as you say if you watch Fox...in your head.

Just because things happen in the world doesn't mean that you are actually in any legitimate risk of the same thing happening to you. For God sakes...at this rate we'll all have Howitzers perched in our front yards....

mtbr member
    Wow. Sum up a man's worth based on a few posts on an internet forum. Glad you're not the doorman at the pearly gates or we'd all be screwed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Actually my comment was not condescending, you just read it that way. I'm not back pedaling, just curious why you felt the need to posture and insult people. I mean I could very easily insult you because you are leaving yourself wide open, but I'm not going to.
    Posturing? How so?

And I would say that your 'learn how to carry' comment was certainly meant to be condescending. Don't be disingenuous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Posturing? How so?

And I would say that your 'learn how to carry' comment was certainly meant to be condescending. Don't be disingenuous.
    If I were going to be disingenuous I'd call you an asset to the mtbr community...

Nickel Havr
    Wow... Really?
    Why is it moronic?
    Why would you carry at all if you didn't carry all the time?

Personally I think it's moronic to carry sometimes, but not all the time...

Nickel Havr
    The world is only as dangerous as you say if you watch Fox...in your head.
    In my head huh?

So none of this actually happened? It was just in my head?

Man, 65, won't be charged in shooting of two teens
    "the teens went into West Reading and assaulted an elderly man and another man before targeting the bicyclist."
    "Johnson had previous run-ins with the law and skipping school violated his probation, Adams said. Probation officers went to his home Wednesday morning, placed an electronic monitoring device on him and told the other two teens to go back to school, Adams said."

"Mr. Johnson and the two other juveniles did not go back to school, and Mr. Johnson did not obey his probation officers."

Had the police done their job... None of this would have happened!

Police: Store owner exchanges gunfire with armed robbers | News - Home

Police: Shooting chalked up to 'domestic' dispute | Regional: Berks - Home

2 suspects arrested, charged in double homicide | Regional: Berks - Home

I'm amazed that you think these things only exist in my head! All of these examples have occured less than 3mi from my house in less than a week... And there are more examples.

The fact of the matter is... That I live in a VERY dangerous area. Thats a fact!
    Reading was just rated the poorest city in the COUNTRY...
    Census: Reading, Pa., Has Highest Poverty Rate : NPR

It was also rated as the 25th most dangerous city in America and the 6th most dangerous with a population between 75,000 and 99,999.
    Comparativly your Philadelphia didn't make the list of "most dangerous" and only made 7th in cities with more than 500,000 population...
    City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Reading Crime Statistics : Pennsylvania ( PA ) - CityRating.com
    "The city violent crime rate for Reading in 2009 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 121.81% and the city property crime rate in Reading was higher than the national property crime rate average by 56.38%."

The fact of the matter is... I live in the "REAL" world. Your "safe" world exists only in your head.

Now show me statistics that prove me wrong!

EDIT: No Fox news sources were quoted in this post...

EDIT EDIT:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ahoidh-VmSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If I were going to be disingenuous I'd call you an asset to the mtbr community...
    I'd say then that you clearly don't know the in use definition of 'disingenuous'.

What you said above is flippant, sarcastic even...but not disingenuous.

Impressive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In my head huh?

So none of this actually happened? It was just in my head?

Man, 65, won't be charged in shooting of two teens
    "the teens went into West Reading and assaulted an elderly man and another man before targeting the bicyclist."
    "Johnson had previous run-ins with the law and skipping school violated his probation, Adams said. Probation officers went to his home Wednesday morning, placed an electronic monitoring device on him and told the other two teens to go back to school, Adams said."

"Mr. Johnson and the two other juveniles did not go back to school, and Mr. Johnson did not obey his probation officers."

Had the police done their job... None of this would have happened!

Police: Store owner exchanges gunfire with armed robbers | News - Home

Police: Shooting chalked up to 'domestic' dispute | Regional: Berks - Home

2 suspects arrested, charged in double homicide | Regional: Berks - Home

I'm amazed that you think these things only exist in my head! All of these examples have occured less than 3mi from my house in less than a week... And there are more examples.

The fact of the matter is... That I live in a VERY dangerous area. Thats a fact!
    Reading was just rated the poorest city in the COUNTRY...
    Census: Reading, Pa., Has Highest Poverty Rate : NPR

It was also rated as the 25th most dangerous city in America and the 6th most dangerous with a population between 75,000 and 99,999.
    Comparativly your Philadelphia didn't make the list of "most dangerous" and only made 7th in cities with more than 500,000 population...
    City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Reading Crime Statistics : Pennsylvania ( PA ) - CityRating.com
    "The city violent crime rate for Reading in 2009 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 121.81% and the city property crime rate in Reading was higher than the national property crime rate average by 56.38%."

The fact of the matter is... I live in the "REAL" world. Your "safe" world exists only in your head.

Now show me statistics that prove me wrong!

EDIT: No Fox news sources were quoted in this post...

EDIT EDIT:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ahoidh-VmSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I never said that things don't happen in the world. I actually said the opposite. I also said that the probability of it actually happening to you is remote. Your town is a sh**hole, and that sucks. I am sorry about that.

I'll sum it up with this. You obviously take Reading with you, everywhere you go. Your mentality and obvious need of some psychological help is astounding. I don't know how else to say it. You have some dark shades on...you see everything through those dark shades. Your view of reality is no more valid than mine or anyone elses that does not see the world as a friggin warzone.

Remember Eck, this whole 'off topic' debate got rolling because you felt it necessary to inform us all that you were riding at our local trails with a gun strapped to your gut. I asked this before but I don't think that you've said anything in response...What was the point in that telling everyone that. Were you looking for some sort of admiration? Were you looking to impress people? What (honestly, seriously...) was your intention and motivation in telling us all that?

Strap your cold steel to your belly, and don't yap about it. (ie...STFU) NO ONE would have given a rats ass had you not told everyone that you were doing it, as if you were going to get some sort of standing ovation. "Hip, hip, hoorah...Eck is riding at Wiss with a gun everyone! Let's throw him a warm reception!"

Good greif.

Leave Reading in Reading. Will ya please John Wayne?

***Also, I hate to say this, and don't wish this on you in any way, shape or form...but I think the probability of you getting shot is pretty high. You're gonna pull on someone that is faster and way more disrespectful of life, and life is gonna come to an end.

If you ever find yourself where you want to use that thing, I hope that you have a moment of clarity and decide to leave that thing concealed. It will probably keep you on the side of the living.

And your news links are really not swaying me.

***edit...but kudos on the Family Guy. Love that show. They should do a show about guys that carry guns EVERYWHERE. You know that Seth would really make a hilarious mockery of that...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh and Eck,

what an absolute coward you are. Giving me negative rep because you don't like what Im saying.

Your avatar and sig say it all. Classy.

Nickel Havr

My original post... Just says "protection"

He was the first to mention a weapon... Why not rip on him?

I think that if that did happen, you wouldn't be talking in hypotheticals. Just my take. The world is only as dangerous as you say if you watch Fox...in your head.
    Just because things happen in the world doesn't mean that you are actually in any legitimate risk of the same thing happening to you. For God sakes...at this rate we'll all have Howitzers perched in our front yards....
    I believe you did say Reading isn't as dangerous as I think... But I'm done arguing semantics.
    I don't believe I need psycological help because I choose to carry... It is my right to do so under state law.
    Just because YOU think noone should carry does not mean that I need psycological help... So get off your soapbox buddy. You are the one in here stirring the pot... Everyone else let it go. Why can't you?

The fact of the matter remains that I (not you) am 121.81% more likely to be a victim of violent crime... And that is all the justification I (not you) need to carry.

EDIT: About the leave Reading in Reading comment...
    I believe my permit allows me to carry ANYWHERE in Pennsylvania and several other states (23 to be exact)... Until you get in the state legislature and change the law I will continue to carry where I damn well please!

EDIT EDIT: Are you not an American? Are you not patriotic? Does the 1st amendment mean nothing to you? Freedom of speech is guarenteed by the same piece of paper that guarentees my 2nd amendment...
    Last edited by Eckstream1; 01-26-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Nickel Havr
    Oh and Eck,

what an absolute coward you are. Giving me negative rep because you don't like what Im saying.

Oh... I'm a coward for SIGNING my negative rep?

Yes my avatar fits me... My sig is just a quote that I thought was funny!

Dude, you're beginning to sound desperate...

/Ownage

EDIT: I believe I + repped you in an earlier post... So that neg just cancels it out.
    Go and cry about it...

EDIT EDIT: I neg repped you because YOU are trying to FORCE YOUR beliefs on people... I did nothing wrong or illegal and YOU are ripping on me for it.
    Maybe you are the one that needs help...

Nickel Havr
    Oh and Eck,

Oh and joc,

I think I just figured you out...

You're a bike thief and you're affraid of armed riders!

See, I can make uneducated guesses too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Actually this is what you said. I'm pretty sure that you are derranged based on your rapid fire stream of responses which are manipulating my comments. Debating with you is pointless, but here are my last words.

And HA!!!

You've now removed your dirtbag sig about 'vagina's', and have replaced it with a purposeful misrepresentation of what I said. I'm actually honored that you have done that! Funny, can't taste those words that I have supposedly eaten.

Your 'need' to carry is infact in your head. There are plenty of folks around you that aren't carrying and will fare no worse for not doing so. That is my point, that was my point, and you know it. The fact that you have taken what I was saying and warped it for your own childish chest thumping is pathetic and lacks of any real integrity.

Which then brings me to this point. A guy like you is the worst kind of guy to have a gun. You're clearly a coward, and cowards and guns don't make for a good combination. As I stated multiple times before, I am entirely for havng gun rights. I OWN MYSELF, you goon. But there is something 'off' about you. (This is further evidenced by your flying off the handle because God forbid, your reasoning for carrying while you are riding at local trails that are not your s**thole town is questioned).

Any person that feels the need to talk about carrying in a mountain bike forum clearly has something to prove. That is where the hang up is. It's not that you reserve the right to carry ( I support that), or that you feel that your town is not safe. It's that 'YOU' personally feel it necessary to tell everyone about it. Your referring to me as desperate smacks of such irony, that it's just not worth the time to illustrate it, and your skull is too thick to comprehend it.

I foresee you getting yourself into a tight corner, using your gun as a crutch, as you clearly are.

And don't call me unpatriotic you idiot. People like you throw that accusation around like you have a clue about what it is that your are even talking about. You don't. And the chances of you ever having one are next to nill. I am now positive that you watch FOX. If I were so unpatriotic, why would I be in support of the right to own and carry, as I have stated at least three times now? Why would I own myself? Calling out a guy who broadcasts to the world that he carry's all the time, does not make a fellow gun rights supporter and owner, unpatriotic.

You are lacking in the grey matter.

And I'm a bike theif now? Holy Sh*t. That is rich.

And I haven't even given you negative rep, nor anyone else for that matter. You chump.

Nice wife-beater, by the way...yikes.

Nickel Havr
    Debating with you is pointless... .

Calling out a guy who broadcasts to the world that he carry's all the time, does not make a fellow gun rights supporter and owner, unpatriotic.
    Yes it is...

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania I can openly carry, as you know, and have no obligation to conceal. How is that any different than broadcasting to the world that I carry all the time?

I openly carried all the time in Phoenix, Az... And not one person called me a coward, deranged, dirtbag, childish, pathetic, goon, idiot or chump.

Either way... Debating with you is also pointless.

I'd say thanks for the compliment about the wife beater... But you already know I don't care what you think!

And no... I don't watch FOX.
    I'm a Reuters guy!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Please Eckstream1 and jochribs, don't make me read this whole thread.

pretty please...

srsly...i do not want to read this whole thread.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Please Eckstream1 and jochribs, don't make me read this whole thread.

pretty please...

srsly...i do not want to read this whole thread.
    Don't worry... I think we're done here!

mtbr member

what happened to fun in the wise?

if you guys want to argue passionately about your subject, email each other. both sides of your arguments have merit, but you have started to get personal with your positions and i am getting tired of reading these posts.

if you want to carry a gun, it is legal and people can object or raise concern. points have been made, but where is it going. we are not going to convince each other to stop riding in certain places or stop carrying so what is the point of the conversation?

can somebody please post a pic of a ride or a ride report from later on today.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm trying to talk myself out of driving down there, it has to be a soupy mess with all the rain this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm trying to talk myself out of driving down there, it has to be a soupy mess with all the rain this week.
    It is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fun at the Wiss!-427178_10100621294088543_8230332_51199863_1013980258_n.jpg  

mtbr member

riding in am

i'll try to get out in the am. wife had our first a couple of months ago. sometimes on the weekends i try to get quick rides in the am. if any one sees a lonely rider on a blue EWR, i would love some company.
    probably be out between 9-12. i usually start at the inn on the mount airy side.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trail Closure

Just a heads up guys, the washed out section just North of the Walnut Ln. Bridge on the East side of the park is fenced off. There is a chain link fence up and heavy equipment is at work. The best thing to do is skip the section by riding on Walnut Ln. and Park Line Dr. I am looking forward to seeing the solution that they put in.

Also, another heads up, there is no riding in the park from 8pm to 6am due to a night deer hunt. That is scheduled to go on until mid to late March. That information was not widely broadcasted, some people know others don't. Lots of guys packing heat in the park these days!

I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment, if people want to carry than they should carry. The only thing I hope for is that anyone carrying has some training. Whether it's local range classes, military experience, experienced friends, etc. Practice your draw so you can effectively use the weapon and not shoot your pecker off. Don't forget to clean and lube either. Sweat is horrible for firearms.

The Wissahickon is a phenomenal place to ride. We should never take for granted what we have so close to the city. Every time I go out I am in awe of the trees, rocks, hills and creeks. It has a majestic feeling to me. Anyone else feel that way? Keep the rubber side down guys, see you on the trails!

mtbr member
    The FCuddy

Thanks for the info. I hadn't been out in a couple weeks, so wouldn't have known about the fence. Its good that they are fixing it; that section was getting a little dicey squeezing between the manhole cover build up, what was left of the trail, and a pretty good drop on down to the creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The FCuddy

Thanks for the info. I hadn't been out in a couple weeks, so wouldn't have known about the fence. Its good that they are fixing it; that section was getting a little dicey squeezing between the manhole cover build up, what was left of the trail, and a pretty good drop on down to the creek.
    No problem!

Less yappin, more Brappin
    About 33% slimy mud today out on the trails to the north. Rain the next few days wont help.

As for saftey at the Wiss, just ride early before the thugs wake up or get out of school, avoid riding the East side trails near the Devil's Pool in the summer, and be careful riding near the bus stop on Ridge and SRT. Most of all be cautious of your surroundings and use cycling shoes to the shins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast