I'm attached to my bike.

Fri. 3/19/10 Elmhurst Ride

Went on a fantastic ride today. Decided to stray from my usual path and it paid off beautifully. I live in Scranton, right off Rt. 307 across from Lake Scranton on Laurel Drive and I thought I knew the trails around here pretty well, but today I found a quad path that looks like it hasn't been used in a while. I don't have directions as of yet, I wasn't really paying attention, but I'll have them up for you guys ASAP. Basically, I took the reverse route of what I will do in the future. I ended up hike a biking it up about 2.5-3 miles of pretty steep uphill toward the end of the ride, so if you take that first, you start at Elmhurst Blvd. right at the bottom of Mt. Margaret. At the bottom of this DH section, you come to a point where you can take one of 3 routes. First one I've never been, but it looks like it keeps going for a few miles toward Elmhurst with a few ups and a few downs. The second was the one I came in from which follows a really old train track with gorgeous views of the Roaring Brook (Scranton/Dunmore) about 500 ft. above it with quite a drop you will definitely want to avoid, and the other side is completely rock faces, about 200 ft. up. This will take you to a split where you can follow that first route, but right along the Brook with a river crossing where you end up following 380 (?), or you can go straight and head toward Dunmore or Scranton. There are at least a dozen different offshoots, most of which take you on a different path to the same place. You can easily make this a loop, because I started at my apt. and ended there just as easy. Sorry for the lengthy post, and next time I'll make sure to have pictures and a more clear way to get there. All in all, you can easily spend half a day exploring/riding and about 10+ miles or more, depending on how you ride it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Hey great stuff!

I can see your excitement showing in your post. Keep them coming! Can't wait to see the pick

Sounds like you were behind and above the #7 resi?

ride

I'm attached to my bike.
    I'm not sure which one the #7 res is, but I usually referred to the two reservoirs in Dunmore by the "Top Res", the one near the Holiday Inn near NA Warhorse, and the "Bottom Res", which is the one surrounded by train tracks. I passed the Bottom Res today on my ride. I usually follow the Creek on my rides, but today I was much more excited to find the trails I did. If you don't pay attention, they're very easy to miss, but the payoff is fantastic. And I'll make sure to bring the cam next time and post afterward. Where are you from/where do you ride NEP?

Did you ever have ham?
    Always great fun finding new trails to explore! Sounds like you had a blast!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

That would be # 7 resi, I have ridden there before, and I'm from below Scranton and ride all the usual places. I was up at Moosic Mt trails earlier this week, which I had a part in helping build along with others. That is located on Rt 247 up from Marshwood Rd. Ever ride there? Your in a good location to ride lots of places. If your ever interested your welcome to ride with our group anytime.

The ride you did today is part of a big loop that goes from below Rocky Glen all the way around Elmhurst and back. Myself and a friend of mine John Gronski who once had a bike shop on Burney Ave in Moosic used to ride that loop all the time.

ride

I'm attached to my bike.
    Oh hell yeah!! Lol, I'm looking for some people to ride with. I may have ridden there, but I'm not too sure. But yeah, just let me know when you want to ride, and I'll be there. Btw, I meant to post bike conditions. Basically the frame is about a year old, but 90% of the components are new. So far, with about 65 miles on it, it's doing fantastic! I really can't say enough how much the upgrades have helped, and I've had to do very little, if any, adjusting after rides.