calculated risk taker

French Creek Meeting

For anyone interested there is a meeting on Thursday 1/18/07 from 1 to 4 at the French Creek Park office to discuss management of the park. Focus seems to be on improving camp sites and cabins, but trail maintenance and no doubt trail access will come up. The park office phone number is 610-582-9680 for more info.

mtbr member
    scuba, can you email me if anyone like path or Bean's has been notified. we were there today surveying trails and the one guy didn't hear. We hope in the future that park manangers will notify the mtn bike community of events like this. How did you learn?

thanks
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Joe,

I'll head out there if this is an open meeting, give me a call in the morning.

-Scott

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Just rode there yesterday...just came across this thread today...

Everything was still frozen up and the riding was great! Had the place to myself. Saw 3 riders leaving and came across one other guy on the trail.

Anyway, anything come out of the meeting?
    Also, did anyone see the Reading (I think) newspaper front page article that they're going to start cutting in the park?

Seems that good forestry was never practiced in the park and now the problem is all of the huge, old trees falling. That, and in an old growth forest, the younger trees never see enough sun to grow and take the place of the old stuff.

Anyway...just an FYI.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sorry I missed it...

I was out there a couple of weeks back and got the impression that there was a lot of trail work to be done. A bunch of bridges could use rebuilding...

Need to keep the communication flowing...either by posting here or a reliable email list, whatever, unfortunately I am not in the habit of checking PATrailhands...

I'm definitely willing to do my part to keep the trails at FC in shape and open to biking...

Just my $.02...

Mike
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

red and white trail

I rode their yesterday (did the red and white trail off of shed road) and couldn't help but noticing the entrance of that trail all the up to the powerlines was really screwed up. To cut the trees, they put down a **** load of fist sized rocks with grey compacting material. Essentially, that portion of the trail is forever changed and it looks like ****. It's way wider too. I was very dissapointed with Fr. Crk. I hope they don't do that for any more trails. Trees blow over, its a fact. You can't stop it. Doing it on just that one portion won't save anyone from a falling tree. Now you can drive a semi through there

mtbr member
    it did look rather wide but stopped at the powerline so we concluded it was done b the utility co. which they probably have the right to do. doesn't help the situation but looks to be an isolated incident.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The road was stoned to allow better access to the nuclear power station warning siren.