mtbr member

French Creek Info needed

Iím looking for directions to French Creek State Park. Iíve got a general idea how to get there, but looking for the perfect trail entrance and parking. Weíre coming from Delaware, so more then likely weíll be rolling up 202 N > 100 N > @ Conestoga make a left. If this is the right directions where should we begin looking for parking to get to the good stuff? Weíre looking to ride about 15-20 miles, would love to get some single track in with a few technical challenges (no huge drops). We all have Full Suspensions except for one of us. Well he has one, but itís not fully built yet. Will he be ok to go to this system with a Hard Tail?

Your feed back is appreciated.

Weíre looking to tear it up on Saturday Aug 4th in the am if some locals want to show up and lead us around for a while.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Everything you need to know about french creek is posted here:

help me decide where to ride (daytrip from philly area)

Best place to park, IMO, is at the intersection of Shed Rd. and PA 345, because it puts you in the center of two loops. Just google map it:

PA-345 & Shed Rd
    Douglassville, PA 19518

Your friend with the hardtail should be fine. I ride there all the time on my HT. It's rocky, but there is nothing there that's even remotely unrideable.

I can't show you around on the 4th, but you should be okay if you print my 'directions' and a trail map.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    If by Conestoga you mean 401, then yes take a left. Stay on that until you get to 345 (Bulltown Road) and go right. Stay on 345 and cross over rt.23 (Ridge Road) There will be a car dealership on the corner there. After the dealership the road bears to the right. About 400 yards after the dealership, go left on Pine Swamp Road (which is still 345). When you get to Harmonyville road, make a right and then a quick left to stay on Pine Swamp. Now bear with me because here's where my memory gets fuzzy. I believe you stay on Pine Swamp (which becomes Shed road) until you get to the park entrance at Hopewell road. There is a nice parking lot with picnic tables nearby. Lots of different ways into the woods and there are maps available. Some awesome trails, but I haven't been there since 1995....Cuz I got married. I'll get back there this season though. You can google earth these directions to get a better visual. Here's a link to the trail maps:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...reek_maps.aspx

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Based on Google Maps your directions are right on point. Thanks for getting back to us. We cant wait to get out on the trail. The reviews of this system make it seem like a tough place to ride. Would you say its on the level of maybe Wiss in Philadelphia or Iron Hill in DE?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    Based on Google Maps your directions are right on point. Thanks for getting back to us. We cant wait to get out on the trail. The reviews of this system make it seem like a tough place to ride. Would you say its on the level of maybe Wiss in Philadelphia or Iron Hill in DE?
    Just got back from a nice ride at FC. Trails were a little slick thanks to some overnight showers, but otherwise in fine shape.

I've never been to Iron Hill, so can't compare it to that. French Creek is tricky to categorize in terms of difficulty, because that's a very subjective thing. Put simply, it's rocky - and pretty consistently so. So how "difficult" it is tends to be totally dependent on how comfortable you are picking your way over, around, and through rocks of various size.

I would say it's a little more physically demanding than Wissahickon, because there's a little more struggle involved in maintaining momentum through many sections. Put another way, I started riding there long ago on a hardtail w. a rigid fork and could ride the same trails I ride today - but a nice, plush fork goes a long way toward making it more enjoyable!

In my mind, FC has a great variety of what I'd consider 'classic' east-coast XC riding. Rocks, roots, long climbs, long descents, some tight, twisty, singletrack, more rocks, poison ivy, ticks, oppressive mid-summer humidity...

All the stuff that makes for a great ride!

Have fun...(and carry plenty of extra inner tubes...just in case. First-timers always seem to get the most flats at FC. DH tires are an asset, if you don't mind the extra weight.)

mtbr member
    Yeah, Iíll send a mail out to everyone this evening to make sure they have the beefy tiers on for this one. Most of us carry at least one tube so we should have enough. Looking as if we have six or seven making the trip so should be a heck of a lot of fun.
    If you ever head down to DE, post in the forum and Iíll try and let you know where to go based on your desired style of riding that day.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

French Creek

French Creek has longer sustained climbs then Wiss, but not as much steep stuff. Also, while it's rocky, it doesn't have that never ending rocky-ness of Michaux or some of the stuff in State College.

Not all of the trails are open to bikes. Try not to ride any closed trails.

Yeah, Iíll send a mail out to everyone this evening to make sure they have the beefy tiers on for this one. Most of us carry at least one tube so we should have enough. Looking as if we have six or seven making the trip so should be a heck of a lot of fun.
    If you ever head down to DE, post in the forum and Iíll try and let you know where to go based on your desired style of riding that day.

mtbr member
    Hey B,

Weíll be respectful of the trail signs. Thanks for the description.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Everything you need to know about french creek is posted here:

help me decide where to ride (daytrip from philly area)

PA-345 & Shed Rd
    Douglassville, PA 19518

One more question Stick,

How do we get to the boat section of the park, is that the same place you have listed above?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Baller/Biker

French Creek race course

I'm looking for the Mini Golf area as a starting point. this looks to be off of 345 and just follow the park road. How is this for a starting point going clock wise?

Inbred Homebrewer
    One more question Stick,

How do we get to the boat section of the park, is that the same place you have listed above?
    There are two lakes in the park - Hopewell and Scott's Run. Boat rentals are only available at Hopewell Lake. To get there from the parking lot I recommended (Shed Rd & 345N), follow the green trail on the opposite side of 345 up to the campground road as I described in the other thread. Go left on the campground road, down to the stop sign at Park Rd. Go Right at Park Rd, and follow it all the way down (past scott's run rd) to the Hopewell Lake parking area on your left.

I don't recommend riding on the road from the East Entrance (i.e. from 345) because it's a big descent followed by a steep climb. It's more fun to take the green trail.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by streetpro0323
    I'm looking for the Mini Golf area as a starting point. this looks to be off of 345 and just follow the park road. How is this for a starting point going clock wise?
    You mean the disc golf course? That's right by hopewell lake. See above. Anyway, it's a fine place to start your ride. The one drawback to parking there (vs. shed & 345) is that you can't easily hit your car for a cooler full of cold drinks, food, etc. mid-ride. Granted, this isn't a huge deal, but it's a nice option for re-fueling before heading out on the Red & White trail.

Baller/Biker

Perfect!!

We should be able to find it with your directions. Thanks a lot..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    You mean the disc golf course? That's right by hopewell lake. See above. Anyway, it's a fine place to start your ride. The one drawback to parking there (vs. shed & 345) is that you can't easily hit your car for a cooler full of cold drinks, food, etc. mid-ride. Granted, this isn't a huge deal, but it's a nice option for re-fueling before heading out on the Red & White trail.
    Stick,

thanks again for directions.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member

Our Ride!

We went to French Creek today, around 9:30 am and had a great time. This is a very bumpy course with lots of rocks of all shapes and sizes; letís not discount the roots you have to maneuver\ride over at the beginning of the ride and through out the system.
    This was our first time riding this course, and thanks to you guys on MTBR and Beans Bikes in Paoli, we were able to manage without a guide. Six of us went out and the unanimous vote is to get back here in the very near future. Maybe within the next two weeks we can pull something off.
    We had couple of flats, no real injuries, no real mechanical issues that would prohibit our ride at Brandywine in the AM. Oh, I did scratch the hell out of my Truth, now it looks like a mountain bike instead of a prop for an Ellís commercial.

Thanks Guys,
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!