Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

French Creek Conditions?

Crew of us Mass-holes are in the midst of some pretty bad cabin fever since trails are snowed in pretty well up here. Thinking of driving south MLK weekend & were looking at French Creek; how's it look down there? Mostly bare trail? Snow cover? How much?

We'd be looking to do 25mi + to make the drive worth it.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Should be good,just got back from riding Antietam Lake/Mt Penn area,compacted heavy traffic trails are fast but with some spotty ice,unused trails have some resistance but very rideable.French Creek get much more foot and bike traffic and should just as good if not better.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report, some scattered snow isn't that bad, as long as it's not akin to riding non-stop sand. Studded tires recommended if you have them or unnecessary?
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a set of studded tires ready to go,but didn't deem necessary,traction was pretty good overall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    All trails in the Philly area are hard and fast as long as the temps are cold. No studs needed becuse snow melted during the last rain, dress warm and this weekend will be perfect. BTW Wissahickon trails are pretty nice too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

French creek

Just got about a good 2" of the white stuff this morning. I rode outside of Valley Forge and it wasn't too bad. I imagine it shouldn't be too bad since a lot of it is covered by trees. But the temp is supposed to be very cold the whole weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Conditions are great right now but its going above freezing mid week. I might be riding there Sat let me know what day your group is coming. Studded tires aren't needed the rare ice that's there is not slick and in small patches.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m-wilhelm
    Conditions are great right now but its going above freezing mid week. I might be riding there Sat let me know what day your group is coming. Studded tires aren't needed the rare ice that's there is not slick and in small patches.
    Drive down now ! Temps headed up later this week and some areas will be getting messy.

Conditions here yesterday were fantastic. Cold enough to keep things frozen but little wind. I went to brandywine and had a blast despite dinging the downtube of my frame in a small incident with an icy root.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Drive down now ! Temps headed up later this week and some areas will be getting messy.

Conditions here yesterday were fantastic. Cold enough to keep things frozen but little wind. I went to brandywine and had a blast despite dinging the downtube of my frame in a small incident with an icy root.
    Nice, thanks for the update. We're planning on riding Sunday AM I believe so fingers crossed temps. will dip down enough Sat. night to harden everything up. We're still under snow up here ("rode" on Saturday i.e. took the bike for a walk) so any improvement will have us stoked.

mtbr member
    I'd like to ride FC on Sun, if anyone can chime in on conditions would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm sure that by Sunday it will be awesome conditions with all this warm weather, although its supposed to be great weather till Sat. then a chance of rain Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will be riding there tomorrow morning and will give the low-down when I get back. Should definitely be a nice ride Sunday, but maybe still a little sloppy in places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mt Penn/ Antietam trails were beautiful this morning!!!! I rode for only a little over an hour because I'm riding there tonight too. The only trail I was on that needs some work is the T and T trail. A couple of trees are down there. It seems that there is always some trees down on this trail. Of course towards the bottom it gets muddy.

mtbr member
    Put some good miles in at FC today, conditions were perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also there yesterday for 12-14 mi. then Camp Mack today for another 10.
    Conditions the last couple of days have been perfect!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Whats trails are you guys riding? I was up there last summer and the trail I picked was extremely difficult to ride. Of course I can't remember the name of the trail, but it was ALL rocks everywhere. It leveled off up top and soon went right back into low level rocks. Their wasn't any other MTBers on the trail either only like two hikers. I believe it was the red trail? I plan on going back this year before winter hits.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf

mtbr member
    That's what French Creek is all about, rocks, rocks and more rocks. Its the best place to hone your technical skills and get one hell of a workout.

The trails on the east side of Rte 345 are the bomb!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47851061

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46753806

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Was up there sunday. Trails desperately needed some water. Baby powder dust on the surface made parts a little slippery. Rained hard in west chester overnight, hopefully some of it made it up there.

Got poison ivy on my johnson somehow ! argh. Last time I was up there I had a nasty crash that mangled my hip for a week. The time before that was when I got a tick bite and lyme. Not a good season for me and french but I'll be back !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Was up there Sunday as well. I thought the trails were fantastic. Climbed the longest rockiest hill of my lifetime to the top near the firetower.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    Was up there Sunday as well. I thought the trails were fantastic. Climbed the longest rockiest hill of my lifetime to the top near the firetower.
    I hate that climb. But the trail on the other side with all the step-downs is worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We actually climbed that monster hill and made a right at the intersection instead of going left and down the hill hitting all the step offs, we passed the firetower on the paved road, then made a left onto the red trail (part of the race course). Nice...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Has anyone been out this week? Or perhaps able to offer thoughts on the conditions for tomorrow (10/6/2010) afternoon?

mtbr member
    I know the weather is going to mess everything up tomorrow but anyone have any recon on conditions at French Creek?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Still to much snow cover,and more to come,get your bc skis out next best thing.

mtbr member

bump

anyone nearby FC that can comment on conditions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast