mtbr member
    Feb 2004

French Creek Alert via Park Manager

Important information from Park Manager Eric Brown regarding current riding conditions at French Creek State Park. Please read and spread the word.

Gentlemen,

I am reaching out to you in order to assist us in spreading the word that I am requesting Mt. Bikers use their very best discretion in riding the trail system within French at this point. Due to very many frost / thaw cycles and some pretty wet weather the trails are in bad shape especially in the lower lying areas around Scott’s run. If they continue to deteriorate we may be forced to close several sections to Biking or even foot traffic until it dries , freezes or is remediated. I will be closing a very small section next to the raceway at Scott’s run until we can grade it and put boulders in there. It is now a significant source of soil runoff into our stream tainting it orange and impacting aquatic life.

I know you don’t have contact with every Mt. Biker but if you could help us spread the word we’d greatly appreciate it. At this point it’s merely a voluntary request to ride when it’s frozen or a lot drier than it currently is especially around Scott’s Run and any other low lying areas.

I have attached the link to the weather station near the Fire tower to assist you and anyone else in making a decision based on its highly accurate information. It is posted in GMT but there is a link to transfer data into local time. Please feel free to share with anyone who would benefit from this info.

I will be discussing Marsh creek’s trails with Manager Wassell as soon as he comes back from training next week.

Thanks for your help.
    Eric Brown| Park Manager
    PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
    French Creek State Park Complex
    phone: 610-582-9680
    fax: 610-582-9692
    Last edited by bbohr; 02-27-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com