Thread: French Creek

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

French Creek

I just started working in Morgantown, which is only a stones throw from French Creek. I'm looking to get in a ride after work. But I'm also bringing the girlfriend who is new to mtn biking. She's always been a roadie. Are there any trails that are better suited for someone not yet totally accustomed to mtn biking? Starting/ending points? Where to park?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    French Creek is not very smooth. There are only a couple of areas that don't have very many rocks but you have to go through the rocky stuff to get to them and they are not very long!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64
    Are there any trails that are better suited for someone not yet totally accustomed to mtn biking?
    Anywhere but there. Sorry, thats not very helpful. Maybe try blue marsh, its pretty smooth. Thats close to you I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah I would try Blue Marsh it is smooth but a lot of climbing. It's probably only about 40 minutes away maybe! I was just there with my kids and they went out 2 1/2 miles and back in about 3 hours total time. They are 8 and 10 yrs old!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64
    I just started working in Morgantown, which is only a stones throw from French Creek. I'm looking to get in a ride after work. But I'm also bringing the girlfriend who is new to mtn biking. She's always been a roadie. Are there any trails that are better suited for someone not yet totally accustomed to mtn biking? Starting/ending points? Where to park?
    It depends on your girlfriend. Some of the best MTB'ers I know used to be roadies. If she's like them she'll be fine. But take it slow and easy on the rough stuff. Definitely let her set the pace. Stay west of Rt. 345 to start. The east side is a lot rougher. You can park at Shed Rd & Rt. 345 and head west. There's a trail that goes around the back of the camping area. It's somewhat technical, but not too hilly. And there's pleny of bailouts into the campground area. If the trails don't workout, the park roads themselves can be a nice tour. You can also park at Scott's Run Lake and explore from there. Again, the road's not far away if the trails get too rough. And don't be afraid to walk some sections in search of easier riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Park at Shed Rd and 345, start at the trail across 354 right at Shed intersection. This loop is not too rocky, better than the other side which is Red/White.

From Shed Green trail uphill and cross road, after rock garden stay to right which becomes orange, stay left on orange, left on yellow short downhill with water bars, right at end and gravel road, cross Fire Tower Road onto blue, cross road again, at top of hill left for a short ride back to lake and green trail, for a longer ride go right at top of same hill on yellow/white, stay on yellow for awhile keep left to stay on yellow down to Park road, left on Park Road, left on Green up to lake, bear right and stay on green, at top of long hill stay right and through big rock garden back tracking green to shed road.

Trail map

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...reek_maps.aspx

Fossil
    French Creek is hard to make first-timer friendly. Blue Marsh is 1/2 hour away max and worth the ride. Park at stilling basin and ride to State Hill Boat Ramp. If you like that, then keep on going a bit. An easy option is the connector trail from stilling basin road entrance down to Tuelpehocken Creek. Trail along the creek is easy but nice if you're not looking to be challenged. http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/sb/bmtrails2.gif
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I went to French Creek last summer to check out the trails. I took the hiking trail(difficult trail) and figured it couldn't be that bad. Given I was on my hardtail but I could barely ride on the trail due to the rocks. I might go back but I don't plan on taking that particular trail again my wrist/hands were numb after that ride. It would probably be a lot more enjoyable on a FS bike.