Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

French Creek = XC fork murder?

Virtually every trail review says that French Creek is rocks, rocks, and then some more rocks.

I'm just wondering the riding there can be handled on a XC fork (Manitou Skareb Super) on an aluminum hardtail. I don't want to go there and have to walk 'cause the rocks messed up my fork.

[I'm not really worried about other parts on my bike 'cause I'm a fairly light rider (150 lbs.), but it's the fork that'll be taking the brunt of the abuse from all those rocks.]

mtbr member

XC fork

You could be ok. I was there and got smoked by a guy on a SS rigid frame, but he was like....flowing water...if you know what I'm saying. Think baby heads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    You could be ok. I was there and got smoked by a guy on a SS rigid frame, but he was like....flowing water...if you know what I'm saying. Think baby heads.
    Thanks. It's good to know the trip there won't cost me the price of a new fork (among other things).

ctg
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by precar
    Virtually every trail review says that French Creek is rocks, rocks, and then some more rocks.

I'm just wondering the riding there can be handled on a XC fork (Manitou Skareb Super) on an aluminum hardtail. I don't want to go there and have to walk 'cause the rocks messed up my fork.

[I'm not really worried about other parts on my bike 'cause I'm a fairly light rider (150 lbs.), but it's the fork that'll be taking the brunt of the abuse from all those rocks.]
    Unless you consistently pick the worst lines possible you'll be fine. It is rocky but can easily be done on a hardtail. The easiest route there (IMO) is the Turtle trail which circles around the fire tower. If you're unsure try that trail first then branch out to other trails in the park. Mill Creek is much fun but very rocky, especially the climb out.

Chris

Inbred Homebrewer

Yeah, what the other guys said. You'll be fine. Your a$$ will probably suffer more than your fork. I've ridden there on lots of different bikes, including a rigid Stumpjumper M2, a Klein Mantra, and a handful of different steel hardtails with forks ranging from a Judy SL w/ Englund air cartridges to a Z1. Never broke a fork (or any other parts, for that matter). Got a lot of pinch-flats early on (when using "XC" tires in the 1.95 - 2.1" range), but no major mechanicals.

It's more about your technique than it is about the bike you're on. If you're a finesse guy, you'll have no trouble at all. If you're a "plow right through in a straight line" type, then the place will probably beat you and your bike up a bit more.

Best thing you can do is run some large volume tires at low pressure if you have them (but not so low as to suffer pinch flats) to take some of the edge off and improve traction on the rocks. I like DH tires myself (Tioga, Intense ~ 2.3"). The weight penalty is only noticeable on the first few rides, and the protection agaist flats makes rocky descents
    a lot more fun.
    Last edited by Stick; 08-03-2004 at 10:28 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    It's more about your technique than it is about the bike you're on. If you're a finesse guy, you'll have no trouble at all. If you're a "plow right through in a straight line" type, then the place will probably beat you and your bike up a bit more.
    I can definitely understand what your talking about here. I never rode that area, but when my nephew and I ride, its like night and day. I weigh 204 now, and when I ride down something, you can't hear me that well I am told. My nephew, a football player, weighs 250lbs and I can hear him coming a mile away. It scares me sometimes because he sounds like a dumptruck crashing through the woods. I finess the trail and he rolls over anything in his path. I am always truing wheels on that bike. One day I thought he went down, he made so much noise. I was waiting at the bottom and rocks were rolling down the hill. Funny! Sorry, did mean to hijack the thread.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

ride lots

Good job! You'll be fine...

I've ridden there a couple of times, and didn't have any mechanical problems with a Cannondale headshock with 70mm of travel. Take it easy though, since last time I was there my buddy endoed, hurt his wrist and we had to cut the ride short after about 5 miles...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Done on Rigid SS

I'm a clyde and I did the trails on a rigid SS without any mechanical failure. I have 2.4's on the rims and was fine. I did have to use the other gear on occasion to make some of the climbs (PUSH).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firewolf65
    I'm a clyde and I did the trails on a rigid SS without any mechanical failure. I have 2.4's on the rims and was fine. I did have to use the other gear on occasion to make some of the climbs (PUSH).
    IF you are a tall clyde and ride a IF SS, you may have been that guy I was talking about. If so-WOW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

French Creek isn't going to break your fork if you are reasonably smooth. There is a definite groove in the trail where there are not really any rocks, at least until you get into the Mill Creek area. It gets ridden so much that the trails are getting pretty buffed. I've been riding there since 1994, rigid until 1999, and only got an FS this year. Trust me, it was a LOT rockier a decade ago, and I never broke anything then either.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

I laugh derisively in your general direction

Before I moved west, I used to ride at French Creek, as well as the rockiest trails around Jim Thorpe, on a full rigid steel hardtail with 2.2 tires. Not a problem if you have the skills. Suspension is a crutch for people who never bothered to learn how to ride a rigid bike. Worrying about wrecking a suspension fork by riding it over rocks, that is the lamest thing I have read here in a long long time.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Before I moved west, I used to ride at French Creek, as well as the rockiest trails around Jim Thorpe, on a full rigid steel hardtail with 2.2 tires. Not a problem if you have the skills. Suspension is a crutch for people who never bothered to learn how to ride a rigid bike. Worrying about wrecking a suspension fork by riding it over rocks, that is the lamest thing I have read here in a long long time.

With all due respect for your experience and skills, you sound like a crumudgeon longing for the days of driving a surrey over cobblestone roads with a buggy whip in hand. There's something to be said for old school, but no need to ram it down the throats of those who choose suspension, regardless of their reason.The guy had a simple question, which others seemed to answer in the spirit in which it was asked.

Just my thoughts.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ... Call Me Clyde is right

You need to be more considerate, just because you have a distinct opinion, doesn't mean that you need to try to egg the thread on and get everyone all torqued. Most everyone that I have met that went west did so to destress, but you seem to carry alot of anger that disguise your own fears and inadequacies. The guy just wanted to know a simple question, and it was a sensible one based on his lack of knowledge of French Creek.

So stop tweaking.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

you are correct

[QUOTE=Call_me_Clyde]With all due respect for your experience and skills, you sound like a crumudgeon

I am. When I was in school, curmudgeon only had one R. Damn schools nowadays, damn punk kids don't know nothin. Mountain biking was better in the 80s. Everything sucks now. Steel is real. I miss lugs. Damn cell phones. Bridgestone rocked.Nobody needs 9 cogs. SunTour kicked ass. Shitmano sucks. Rollercams were the best brakes ever. Real Men ride Rigid. Damned trails are too crowded now. Rudeboys and Girlymen on wimpy suspension. Back in the day we didn't need no stinkin suspension. Buncha wimps. etc etc

in the getto
    Way to have an open mind bulC. Do us a favor and forget about your stay in PA and this forum and stick with your "out west" forums.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

banned

I'm with you old man. I learned to ride on a rigid steel bike, and wouldn't have half my technical abilities had I not. You certainly don't need suspension to ride French Creek, and worrying that your XC fork isn't up to the task is ridiculous. Ride with common sense and skill, and you can ride any trail on any bike.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by punk
    I'm with you old man. I learned to ride on a rigid steel bike, and wouldn't have half my technical abilities had I not. You certainly don't need suspension to ride French Creek, and worrying that your XC fork isn't up to the task is ridiculous. Ride with common sense and skill, and you can ride any trail on any bike.
    I rode a rigid cromoly for the first two years, can I join the holier than thou club?
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I rode a rigid cromoly for the first two years, can I join the holier than thou club?
    Sorry, your name's not on the list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree w/ you 100%. I was just a tad bit more diplomatic about saying so. Not that suspension isn't nice on an 8 hour ride, but worrying about breaking a fork? Tomorrow when I ride there I might leave the Titus at home and get down on my fully rigid Fat Chance, just for spite.

Hollywood

Real Men

01.Go downhill really fast and if something gets in their way they turn
    02.Ride their downhill bikes cross country for a workout
    03.treat their bikes like thier women spend a lot of money on them and treat them nice
    and futhermore
    if someone wants to worry about his fork and find out about a trail he should be able to do so without some old heads remembering the big hair days when they they had motorcycles looking at them right in the face and couldn't even think of using the technology for Bicycles.
    If there is a tree to hit I will find it.
    Thats why they call me
    [SIZE=3]HOLLYWOOD[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [Suspension is a crutch for people who never bothered to learn how to ride a rigid bike]

Now that is kinda funny.. suspension is for people that enjoy the control, suppleness, traction & comfort of it,along with being able to pedal as well as a hard tail - to say its a crutch is just not fair... more people ride suspension bikes than rigid hard tails, is that saying the most people cant ride?? There is nothing wrong with it at all, I personaly would never go back to a hard tail or rigid, I enjoy it more, climb better, with more traction, & decending is a whole different world, I personally like that fact that after the ride i am not beat up & as tired, I would much rather have my bike take the hits rather than my body. As far as technique, people with suspension bikes may barrel threw things more & not show as much finese.. but thats because they can- because of the suspension. Believe me I am not knocking guys that ride single speeds especially fully rigid ones.. I see them & say "DAM.. god bless'em - I dont know HOW they do it!" & the ones that I have seen are very good riders ( they have to be to do all that with one gear ) I guess im just gettin old.. i love the plushness & feel that I am a better rider for it - to each-there own

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

exhibit A

.. more people ride suspension bikes than rigid hard tails, is that saying the most people cant ride?? YES, THAT AND THE INSIDIOUS EFFECTS OF MARKETING AND HYPE

and more sheepeople voted for Bush, is that saying people can't think?
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    .. more people ride suspension bikes than rigid hard tails, is that saying the most people cant ride?? YES, THAT AND THE INSIDIOUS EFFECTS OF MARKETING AND HYPE

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!..marketing & hype.. it is amazing how little sense you make...Sooo the pros that race downhill, slalom, & XC that have pro sponserships, cant ride??? and EVERYONE is wrong for riding suspension bikes & only you are right, are we wrong because we like the added traction, or the added comfort & , or is that we are wrong because the bike is more stable & controlable & tracks better at higher speeds, or the better climbing ability up rough technical terrain.. I havent been on this board much but I can see why people dont like you.. not many freinds huh.. for someone to come on this board & ask a simple question about his fork in a place that he has never been & then have someone like you come along NOT answer the question or give any insightfull opinions,& basically say that ANYONE who rides a suspension bike has no skill, cant ride, & uses the suspension as a crutch.. hey maybe in a way we do use the suspension as a crutch..I can tell ya this ( & I can probably speak for many others ) I would rather have the suspension absorbing everything rather than my back, knees, wrists & everything else..I probably feel allot better after a ride than you do... ya know what the more I think about maybe motorcross bikes should not have suspension either.. what are they thinking using suspension just to go arond a track with a few little jumps ( dummy's )... point being you sound ridiculous with responses.. they are so off & make very little sense

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sheepeople?

Seems that you decided to leave the state of reason and moved in with the so-called sheepeople. You left the great northeast and moved into the middle of Bush country.

You have no room to talk, as you could not convince your neighbors to vote otherwise. You must be the herder.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

wrong

Quote Originally Posted by firewolf65
    Seems that you decided to leave the state of reason and moved in with the so-called sheepeople. You left the great northeast and moved into the middle of Bush country.

You have no room to talk, as you could not convince your neighbors to vote otherwise. You must be the herder.
    No, the town of Durango went for Kerry. It's the idiots in the surrounding hinterlands that went for the lying bastard. Well at least that trout-killer Coors got hammered, so we got a Democratic senator to replace that traitorous dog-shooting fake indian ben campbell.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast