Thread: freeride in pa

cannondale rider

freeride in pa

im am going to get a new cannondale prophet 600 and i am thinking about taking it free riding. im would like to learn how to freeride and would like to know about any good places to start around the philly area or the york county area. alos, i would like to learn how. are there any good books on freeriding so i can learn. what is the best way to start. thanks

it's just baby phat..

try the gemini

the prophet is not really made for free riding. more of an "all mountain" trail bike.. try the gemini if you want to free ride.

phat

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    go to mountain creek (NJ) or plattekill (NY) to learn--or if you have the cash, whistler or snowshoe

cannondale rider
    Quote Originally Posted by phatbiker
    the prophet is not really made for free riding. more of an "all mountain" trail bike.. try the gemini if you want to free ride.

phat
    ACTUALLY, THE PROPHET HAS SETTINGS FOR BOTH XC AND FREERIDE. I DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING TO EXTREME JUST YET ON THAT BIKE, I JUST WANT TO GET A LITTLE TASTE OF DOWNHILL AND FREERIDE

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by rshank3499
    ACTUALLY, THE PROPHET HAS SETTINGS FOR BOTH XC AND FREERIDE. I DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING TO EXTREME JUST YET ON THAT BIKE, I JUST WANT TO GET A LITTLE TASTE OF DOWNHILL AND FREERIDE
    ACTUALLY, YOUR KEYBOARD HAS TWO 'SHIFT' KEYS!!!! PRESSING ONE....[SHIFT]

...will turn the caps lock off and allow you to type like a normal person.

I love how the concept of 'freeriding' has taken on such grandiose connotations as to require special "skills" that are (allegedly) unique to that one aspect of "mountain biking". Books on the subject, even?!?!

That's crazy. Learn basic skills by riding a lot, in as many different areas as possible. Ride technical cross-country to build fitness and bike handling technique. Ride BMX to learn how to jump and control your bike in the air. Ride downhill, but stay within the limits of your ability. Watch people better than you, then emulate them as your own skills progress. Before you know it, you'll be able to apply these skills to new terrain without giving it much thought.

Go to the places suggested above after you've spent some time getting comfortable on your bike in less 'dangerous' areas (and this may take time!) Don't expect to read a book on 'hucking techniques' (if such a thing exists), hop on your bike 5 minutes later and be tearing down near-vertical scree slopes, manualing along 4"-wide bridges and sticking 20 foot road gaps.

It just isn't going to happen, regardless of which bike you buy. Just go ride, and take it easy.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

cannondale rider
    [QUOTE=Stick]ACTUALLY, YOUR KEYBOARD HAS TWO 'SHIFT' KEYS!!!! PRESSING ONE....[SHIFT]

ACTUALLY, IM AN INTERN ARCHITECT AND WHEN I TYPE ON DRAWINGS, ITS IN ALL CAPS. THATS JUST HOW I "ROLL".

Inbred Homebrewer
    [QUOTE=rshank3499]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    ACTUALLY, YOUR KEYBOARD HAS TWO 'SHIFT' KEYS!!!! PRESSING ONE....[SHIFT]

ACTUALLY, IM AN INTERN ARCHITECT AND WHEN I TYPE ON DRAWINGS, ITS IN ALL CAPS. THATS JUST HOW I "ROLL".

Whatever. This board isn't one of your drawings. There are doctors who manage to type without using Rx shorthand. There are chemists here who somehow find a way to avoid using scientific notation outside of work. Lawyers who manage to go years at a time without a single 'heretofore' or a 'party of the first' etc.

When you finish your internship, will you type your CV in all caps?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no good freeriding in PA if i am wrong please someone inform me where they are. Ive been building stuff at south park. so far 5 doubles. gona build ladder trails starting next spring and lot more jumps

Hollywood

Depends

Depends on what lind of Freeride you are talking about and what part of PA. There is pretty good amount in and around Philly if you combine it with Urban but even you don't it's still a good amount. You just have to look for it. Sometimes the beginning of a drop is thereyou just have to finish it.
    If there is a tree to hit I will find it.
    Thats why they call me
    [SIZE=3]HOLLYWOOD[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    actually, there is a lot- but most is 'grey' in if it is legally built so most people keep their spots pretty quiet- if you are looking for lift-access, there is none in PA....some that are relatively legal would be around Reading...check out readingracing.com and see if they will hook you up- they are the Dureya Downhill guys....

mtbr member
    there is tons of good freeriding in pa, i lived in the norrtheast area and could tell you where to go.

my handle is SNOWSKILZ, i am posting under rally blue bc im drinkin burr at his house while the wives watch the O.C.

mtbr member
    I was wrong with my previous post, there is good freeriding in my area. Yes, most of it is illegal building which is kept secret. Do what we do, build your own stuff, its more fun that way. I highly recommend snowshoe, very fun down there.