Lev
    You Guys Riding?

Free ride the Wiss???

Ok. So after about 8 months in the City of Brotherly Love and plenty of time under my belt exploring everything the Wiss has to offer, a question lingers in my mind. Here goes: What exactly is with all the 40 plus lb. bikes with dual crown forks and Saint components that I continue to see hanging out in the Wiss area? Is there something I'm missing? My curiosity arrises due to the fact that climbing exists, not to mention some fairly technical climbs, and I can't see the fun of having such a heavy bike when all they're good for is bombing and dropping.

I want the scoop. I've seen dudes around the Art Museum dropping some of the burly rocks that surround the outside. Props to you. However, when it comes to an all around mountain bike experience, I don't see the fun in having to push your bike to the top of the hill, i.e. in the Wiss.

Curious what the thoughts are from the select few of you out there riding bomb proof bikes. Is there a secret free ride course that lingers in the outskirts of the enchanted Wissahickon forests? If so, I want the coordinates. Thanks and be good everyone

Freshly Fujified

Could it be???

I've seen the same thing and have wondered why the long travel and armor. I'm relatively new with regard to riding Wiss, and don't know HALF of the trails, I'm sure. I do know that there are definitely sections that are pretty gnarly. I can see that if someone has a long travel bike, that they would take it down some of the better, more technical descents to give the bike a workover, and frankly...just to have some fun. If there is no place close by to ride freeride type courses, what else are you going to do with the bike between excursions to freeride style trails? You take the bike to the most difficult and fun terrain close by, and just ride. As for the armor, it's a personal preference, IMO. I don't see an issue with people wearing protective gear. Whether or not it's overkill is purley subjective.

Just my 2 cents as always.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Trail eater

could be great fun

I think it could be fun riding a downhill rig in some places out at wissa. for example there are some technical downhill sections with rocks etc. I wonder how much fun it would be to hit these sections at 100mph rather than the steadier 10mph
    At the sametime, these guys are probably just killing time till they get out to their fav hunting grounds.
    There's the spaghetti bowl too which would be alot of fun and I've see first hand graceful dave swaning thru the air on his squishy
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've never ridden at Wiss, but I am one of those people on the trails I ride. I'm a beginner and I got my 40lb freeride bike to handle anything I might want to do. I'm trying out all kinds of riding and I wanted a bike that could take whatever I could dish out. I had a XC/Trail bike but ended up selling it because climbing my freeride bike wasn't THAT much harder and was a whole lot more fun going down (not to mention more comfortable). I didn't want to keep two bikes and try to split my already limited ride time, thus I ride the 40lber everywhere.

I also wear knee/shin armor now, since I'm riding platforms and have a habit of slamming the (heavy and sharp) pedals into my shins. After some nice scarring and a OTB fall that almost broke my leg, I put up with a little extra heat that knee/shin guards provide. I actually don't mind them at all, I'm used to running around with leg armor so this is no different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have two bikes and anorexic 22 lb rigid singlespeed & a santacruz heckler fully decked out in a saint kit (granted i even somewhat agree it is too burly for the riding i do). i ride the wiss on either depending on how i feel and who i am riding with.

why ride wiss on a 40 pounder? downhill domination baby... they may be short but man with some coil sprung fun under your ass you can really rip the downs. the technical climbs seem easier too with some active suspension.

but yes there are climbs and yes i can make all but the most technical on the 40 pounder. in fact it is almost never the bikes weight but usually having to put a foot down that stops me. i am a singlespeeder by heart so riding anything in 22x34 is pretty easy after getting used to singlspeeding.

and finally why not get a lighter bike? lataly i have been gaining inspiration from this guy... if it dosen't kill you it will make you stronger!

http://www.nsmb.com/people/weir_03_06.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    anorexic 22lb rigid SS. i don't think so. gotta have a '1' at the beginning of that number to be allowed to use the word 'anorexic'

i've been riding a close to 30lb NRS for the last 4 years and i can't begin to describe how awesome it is to be riding a 24.5lb single speed. the weight difference unbelievably noticable and i couldn't imagine haulling a 40lb bike up some of those hills at wissahickon.

i'm in the process of building a new front suspension SS that should be 20.xlbs and i can't weight...er...wait.

i'm not a weight weenie by any stretch of the imagination but i do understand why light bikes go uphill faster than heavy bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    anorexic 22lb rigid SS. i don't think so. gotta have a '1' at the beginning of that number to be allowed to use the word 'anorexic'
    at my size and weight anything with a 1 in front of it would be called hazardous...

i'm not a weight weenie by any stretch of the imagination but i do understand why light bikes go uphill faster than heavy bikes.
    but see thats the thing; if i want to go fast, i get on my singlespeed.... as soon as you drop into the granny gear you'd be faster walking anyway, no??? when i am on my heavy bike it is DEFINITELY not a race.

and i bet you can imagine how light my 22 pounder feels coming off a 40 pounder.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    What exactly is with all the 40 plus lb. bikes with dual crown forks and Saint components that I continue to see hanging out in the Wiss area?
    That's funny, I rarely see these, it must be a time/day thing -- I ride some weekday mornings before work and after work, and on weekends I shoot for early-ish morning. Is this a weekend afternoon phenomenon?

-p

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    early morning definitely seems to be more weight weenie time...

big bikes come out on afternoons (after hangovers have been slept off) and after work like 1/2 an hour before dark so you don't HAVE to ride too much...

no but seriously... i do see a sh!tload organizing themsleves on thursday evenings sometimes. there seems to be a bgibike group ride or something. i also run into a fairly large crew of fast bigbike riders on saturday mornings sometimes too!

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    no but seriously... i do see a sh!tload organizing themsleves on thursday evenings sometimes. there seems to be a bgibike group ride or something. i also run into a fairly large crew of fast bigbike riders on saturday mornings sometimes too!
    Ah you're right, I've seen them in the parking lot as well on Thursdays when I'm riding home from work...

-p

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the thursday ride seems to be organized by JAR. http://www.jerseyactionriders.org/rides.htm

i've been meaning to check it out but i haven't gotten over there on a thursday in a while.

i have to have passed both max and pahearn a million times at wissahickon cause i've been riding sat/sun mornings for a long time.

wot no bike?
    i have to have passed both max and pahearn a million times at wissahickon cause i've been riding sat/sun mornings for a long time.
    Yeah one of these days we'll all hook up for a ride. I'm seriously considering Max's hellride thing... it'd be a great day to play hooky conditions permitting...
    Last edited by pahearn; 05-19-2006 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    lance i don't know if you ever saw this post, but i definitely passed you (and then got passed) when you rode with keith and those guys saturday...

check the last post here:

Nice ride at Wiss

i was riding my 40 pounder that day mine was a big blue heckler and my buddy (who i am eternally trying to keep up with) was on a red kein mantra.

if your out tomorrow it is entirely possible you'll see me again (but i am not sure i have clearance from the girlfriend to ride yet).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ha, too funny. that post somehow got by me.

when i read your post in the hell ride thread about needing more people like me i was thinking to myself "seems an odd thing to say for someone i've never even seen before". little did i know.

i'd like to get out tomorrow and do some warm up for the race on sunday. not sure if it will happen on or not. weather depending of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have seen them. I know most of the park well (the names people give trails are still a mystery to me!) and people bombing down some trails and ridding some illegal ones. I agree, it can't be fun doing some of those climbs on a 40+ bike!

mtbr member
    There are definitely some pretty big drops around the park, you just have to pay attention Some of the longer downhills are VERY fun on bigger bikes as well though it usually entails some serious hike-a-bike if you are going long distance.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...