Thread: free ride in PA

Biker for Life

free ride in PA

is there any real freeride parks in PA and if there is can you post some pictures or videos.

alex
    afk irl

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    your answer is a resounding "NO"

sorry, the best bet is the lock haven thread here started by duffy.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    your answer is a resounding "NO"
    I think "resounding" is a little to strong of a word.

But the answer is no (I think). The Lockhaven project is shaping up nicely. Contact Duffy if you're interested in getting involved.

Also, Ski Denton cleared a bunch of trails and ran their lift last summer, but I don't know what they have planned for this year. There was a small "skills park" which consisted of two teeters and a few 1' to 2' high skinny bridge thingies. The trails themselves were au natural, so the technical terrain features consisted of whatever was already on the trails - rocks, roots, natural drops, some very steep grades. If you're looking for Whistler or Snowshoe type stuff, it ain't there, but it sure is nice to take a lift up and ride down, and not have to pedal or push up.

Check out some photos in this thread (that was an intermediate trail - steeper than it looks but not very steep) and here as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    if by freeride you mean nasty trail systems with drops and jumps, yes...the WISS is great. theres tons of hidden gems throughout the park. there pretty much natural but so butter. As far as dh parks where you dont have to petal, no.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i can't think of anything that serves to illustrate the degree of falsehood inherent in "the WISS is great"

sorry, but truth of the matter is, it's really only considered great cause of it's relative closeness.

Biker for Life
    when you guys say wiss are you talking about whistler???
    afk irl

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by konaclump91
    when you guys say wiss are you talking about whistler???
    I don't think so. I think they're referring to Wissahickon, here is a thread where some of the freeride stuff is mentioned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    i can't think of anything that serves to illustrate the degree of falsehood inherent in "the WISS is great"

sorry, but truth of the matter is, it's really only considered great cause of it's relative closeness.
    do you think that 15 foot drops or 20 foot table tops are great? do you like doubles and log rides?(the wiss). and he's talking about PA. so "relative closeness" is being considered in this thread mr. big word fancy pants aka "bighitdon".

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Reading PA and Glenn Park PA.......

These two places are the ****.........

check out www.readingracing.com for some vids and pics

40 oz to freedom
    On the same note are there any 4x race courses in PA?
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I know it's not in PA, but there's Diablo Freeride Park up in North Jersey. I've never been, but it's supposed to be great. They're hosting some BIG DH events there, so it can't be too bad. Anyone have any plans on heading up there come Spring?

40 oz to freedom
    Yeah I know about Diablo, my friend has a house about 30mins from there. Last time I checked they didn't offer anything in the way of 4x racing though.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Blue Knob has a DH and 4X race but I don't think it's open any other time. The rumor mill is saying that 7 springs ski resort will be putting in a freeride park. It's under new ownership and if all goes well we'll have a closer place (than Snowshoe) to ride the big bikes.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i've heard that rumor as well. the blue knob stuff, as i recall was built and has been very poorly maintained since. i remember going out the weekend before the norba dh there and the trail was nothing more than a line without trees, all the loose underbrush was still there and no raking had been done. there was really no trail, someone just cleared a path through the woods. i don't recall if i ever heard of it getting better. you're right about it being pretty much not open other than the race. it actually is open, you can ride there almost any time you want, but there's no lift service i am aware of.

40 oz to freedom
    Oh sh!t if 7 springs did that I would be so pumped. I love that place, go up there every summer and the only way it could be better is with a free ride park! I think I should give them a call there and find out for sure.