mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Frances Slocum Work Day

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone who came out on the Frances Slocum work day on Sunday July 13, 2008. We had a very successful work day. The project was drainage issues on the Mocanaquah Blue Tail or AKA Roman Road and putting in a bridge on the water crossing on intersection of Mocanaquah Blue Tail/Buck White Trail AKA 1K trail. The drainage project was tested on Sunday night which we got about a 1 inch+ of rain and worked with no problems. The bridge that Brian and Mike built is amazing. Everyone who saw it was in awe. I would like to thank these individuals for the help.

Chuck Menziff
    Kevin Czekalski
    Chuck Kovach
    Tyler Kovach
    Lee Curry
    Frank Wanenpa
    Gary Milulski
    Bob Berry
    Loren Possinger
    Jacob Possinger

Our Bridge Builders
    Brian Willsie
    Mike Krasnahill

And Janine Dymand for the muffins.

Thank you again
    Chris Stine
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

More Photos from FS Work Day

Here are some more photos from the work day.

Chris Stine
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would also like to thank Park Manager Rex Brandish, Ranger Darren Kramer and the park staff that helped us during the work day. Thank you for the help and supplies.

Thank you
    Chris Stine

mtbr member
    Great Pics Chris and thanks for the props!! Always told mom there is nuthin' wrong diggin' ditches!!

Kev

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

All:

Thanks to everyone who helped cure problems on the trail. Pleasure working with everyone! We "DID" get lot's of work done in a short period of time! It really was 3 projects that were done in one day. I'm sure all that use the park will now have a much easier time traveling the sections that were improved.

For those who don't know the water problem started when they paved Green Road and sent the out flow from the catch basins down the hill into the park along Green Road. You had to see it in the rainy season when Chris and I walked along wondering what to do with all the water coming from Green Road and the sloping hillside. It so happens the trail goes right through the middle of that mess. It "WAS" a quagmire 4 to 6 inches deep of mud and flowing water, with 3 separate streams forming. If not corrected the trail would be gone and all that would be left is rocks and pockets of water and mud.

Back to the future, now dry and placing the water on a path where it can disperse with gradual drainage.

Further up & down the trail were other problems that were addressed:

Up the trail the water would run on the trail and form multi rain ruts gradually getting deeper and carrying away the soil, thus making a very scenic section of trail into once again a big mess. It was addressed by channeling the water through a hidden pipe (scupper) and way from the trail.

Down the trail Mike & Brian designed one of their Monolithic, Metamorphic Bridges! We now have 3 of their bridge constructions in the park and they are all amazing. Brian & Mike truly have the gift of locating moving and placing large stones to work for them. On any build Brian will be standing in ankle deep water and mud while Mike locates rocks and some how move these huge slabs near the build then I have seen them shift or flip these huge rock many times to get the "FIT" It would be just easier to say AHH F-it just throw it down and be done, but no way they fit till there happy with well the "FIT"

So there ya have it the story of "the water" cured by people who gave of their time to help a trail...

mtbr member

Good job! thumbs up !

Can't wait to see the new bridges on the trails. I plan on taking in some riding either Aug 16 or the 23 at Slocum. What a great place to ride. I used to ride there quite often in the mid 80's, of course there was alot more "trails" to access, not quite IMBA style trails either, anyway, so glad that there is riding there again. It was sad when the place was deemed off limits due to the impact of mtb there. I took in my first rides there since the 80's last fall, and can't wait to see the progress. Hats off to the trail crew. Any time any of your local group wants to ride here at Rattling Creek Single Trackers (Wieser State Forrest), Lykens, PA., drop me a line, I'll be sure to give you a tour of our trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well wishes and the invite! We will most likely take you up on it!

A lot has been done at Slocum, and there is now a lot more planned. Ever since we have had progressive park managers and rangers, the trails at FS have been a dream project! Our last work day pictured above we had almost too many tools and equipment, park supplied, than we knew what to do with. This was unheard of a few short years ago.

By all means, please come up and see the trails that all in the DCNR are talking about, and also, please share your ideas with us, stuff that you do at Rattling Creek, and ask us about ours. The more info that gets out there, the better.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Listen! Trail Work Day

[FONT="Arial BlackSIZE="5"]Hi everyone we are going to be having a work day at Frances Slocum, on Sunday August 17 @ 10AM. We will be working on roman road on the mtn bike trails this work day. So please bring digging equipment. There will be a ride afterward too.

Meeting on Carvton Road at the Fenced in Pumping Sataion

Hope to see you there.

Chris Stine[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    In regards to the work day on the 17th...anyone with a small pair of clippers or snips..I noticed yesterday during the ride on "false flat"..or the Orange trail some man eating pickers starting to crowd the trail up there. Not many, but they bite, so..if one or two want to take a break from playing with the rocks and head up there all our shins will greatly appreciate it!!

Kev

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Good job!

Hi everyone,

We had a very successful work day on Sunday August 17, 2008. We corrected the bog area on Mocanaquah trail also know as Roman Road. We placed quite a few very, very large rocks to correct the problem. I would like to thank our volunteers who worked extremely hard on this project.

Brian Willsie
    Mike Krasnahill
    Larry Stearn
    Gary Mikulski
    Dave White
    Dave White Jr.
    Kevin Czekalski

And the Frances Slocum park staff.

There will be photos up very soon.

Thank you
    Chris Stine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Roman Road loks Great, ( we were on weed duty)