Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12

Frances Slocum State Park trail head on Carverton Rd is now closed...

..with the construction of the gas pipeline, they "had" a runaround with a sign saying DCNR trail runaround and a bridge over the ditch, but things have changed. Now there is a trail access closed sign, and I was told by a fellow rider who rode there and was met by the park ranger and 2 state police as he finished his ride, he was in the wrong, and he received a written warning.

There is limited parking at the Green Road access, directions are: Turn at the red light on Carverton Road, onto Manor Drive passing the convenience store, follow less than a mile turn right onto Green Road, follow to trail access on right side. This puts you on False Flat/Blindside trail area, or basically the back area of the trails in the park!

If anyone has updated or different info please post up as we don't want to see fellow riders having trouble or get fined!

Please call or email the park for more info or to express your concerns:
    PA*DCNR*-*Frances Slocum State Park

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-trail-closed-7-29-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-trail-closed-7-29-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-trail-closed-7-29-12-003_900x900.jpg  

Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-trail-closed.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Did you ever have ham?

Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed

That kind of stinks...there isn't much parking up there!!! I wonder why they closed the Carverton entrance?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    You need to go see the construction site...
    ...I posted the one pic it looks like RT 81 is going in there!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It's so nice to have new pipelines going through.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I thought the group that works at Frances Slocum would have put up this info in a concerned effort to get it out to the general riding groups, but they have dropped the ball again!

I didn't want to see fellow riders who aren't in the info loop get tagged with a fine as we all know Frances Slocum is known for gestapo type actions!

Some people get up and do the work...
    ...some people sit back and watch others do the work.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm pretty sure the one and only representative for WVMTBA hasn't had the time to go past Slocum and see the new signage. It's not like he passes by it on the way to work, or lives nearby, or anything.

Heck, I live 4 miles away and didn't know about it until today, thanks to you Lee.

Then again, when I ride there solo I just usually ride from home and go in from Green Rd so I wouldn't see that sign either.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    bear

Ya "one and only" exactly...
    ...as I know "others" do work and great job of it... LOL

No excuses, Kingston is only a few miles and leading a group requires time to check and get stuff done, "eveyone is busy"

Luckly only a written warinng was given.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info Lee, its important to keep the Mt. Bike community informed no mattter who sends out the word. We are so few, we need to work TOGETHER.!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    moto: probably because of the pipeline work, they've been putting new stuff in for a while now there. They've BEEN maintain trail access up to this point, any regular rider out there knows this - last tues we rode from the Carverton access, but if something changed in the construction that makes it unsafe (I have a hard time imagining, considering what was there) then I can see it being blocked off.

nepm: yeah, that busy group that regularly maintains the trails and usually has a pitiful 4-8 people show up on trailwork days could sure use some more people showing up regularly to help (like me for example, I rarely make it). Yet somehow they keep the trails up and running, and even now and then get the approval from the land managers for a re-route or new section. To bad they don't have free reign to do what they want to on the land.

and yep, I've decided, I wasn't going to say this on open forum, but I do think it poor form for a moderator to take cheap shots at others in public forum, regardless of past interactions. Maybe my impression of MTBR is wrong but I held these forums to a higher standard than some of the free for all ones.

Oh well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

This tail closure is news to me. I have received an email from park management back in June 29 which stated.

“Transco is replacing their gas pipeline adjacent to the Maconaquah trailhead parking at Carverton Road. Construction is slated for approximately four weeks. Access to the trail system remains open - you can park alongside Carverton Road or use the lot if it is open.”

We have been riding there the last three Tuesday evening without any problems. I will be contacting them if there are any changes with this.

Lee this is why I didn’t post anything about this. As for my group WVMTBA. I have a bunch of GREAT volunteers who help me out at the park. They are the core of my group and I thank them for all the work they do for me. We don’t advertise the work we do we just do it. We have a great working relationship with the park management. Over the last few years we have reroutes put in which made for some great new singletrack and acquired trials that were closed off the mountain biking community. I might not be at the park everyday but working 10 hr days limits my time to just run up to the park and check it out. But I have friends and park staff who inform me if there are any issues at the park.

If I find out this access point is closed off there is two other access area to go to Green Rd which Lee stated in his post and on the corner of Mt Olivet Rd/Green Rd.

I have to agree with Bear. Lee since you are the Moderator please be more professional when you post. Thank You!

When I get home from work on Tuesday I will post on what I found out about the trail closure.

Chris
    WVMTBA

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I really don't care about your silly digs, wanna dig something? Go dig trails...

...I would have done the same "mod" or not, there is or was no cheap shots at anyone. I think there should have been more info as to the pipeline work being done the past few months, and sticking to the point this is a very serious matter. I guess I was "wrong" about how on top of things the "group" is, but even with that point like it was said "you don't post stuff" I doubt you would have posted this either. I'm glad I did, with posts here, and emails thanking me for doing this.

In my opinion, If this makes me wrong? I'm "glad" I'm wrong.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Someone double-clutched their Reply button.

mtbr member
    Is there hunting allowed in the biking area? I always wonder where the park staff is when I round a corner and see a guy with a bow or rifle.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbev88 View Post
    Is there hunting allowed in the biking area? I always wonder where the park staff is when I round a corner and see a guy with a bow or rifle.
    i believe so, during some of the hunting seasons at least.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

From the Frances Slocum website:

Hunting and Firearms: About 700 acres are open to hunting. 350 acres are open to archery hunting. 350 acres in the west side of the park are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are deer, waterfowl, turkey, rabbit and squirrel.Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for ADA accessible hunting information.

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park.

Complete information on hunting rules and regulations in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania Game Commission Web site.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No hunting, pipelines, or State Police(unless you call them) at Moon Lake...LOL I will add there has been a stepped up effort by the WCO to frequent Moon Lake more since they have been talking about boat launch construction, I hope he continues to stop by during hunting season as the park boarders hunting lands.

mtbr member
    Only thing i've ever seen negative at Moon Lake was the dirt as my face hit it LOL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    and yep, I've decided, I wasn't going to say this on open forum, but I do think it poor form for a moderator to take cheap shots at others in public forum, regardless of past interactions. Maybe my impression of MTBR is wrong but I held these forums to a higher standard than some of the free for all ones.

Oh well.
    Agree...
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Only thing i've ever seen negative at Moon Lake was the dirt as my face hit it LOL.
    Nice one...
    ...glad you missed all the mOOn ROCKS LOL!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Update, 8/9/12 on the Frances Slocum Carverton Road trail access

A new sign appeared, "Walking Trail Open"...

...no arrows or other instructions, best to contact the park office for more info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-signs-pipeline-8-9-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Frances Slocum Trailhead Carverton Rd closed 7/29/12-fs-signs-pipeline-8-9-12-002_900x900.jpg