Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Frances Slocum State Park notice!

To all who use the Mountain Bike Trails at Frances Slocum State Park:

Please take note. The Yellow Solid Square marked Trail is Off Limits to Mountain Bikers! This trail is also know as Deer Trail. It is only the Yellow Solid Square marked trail... any other color combo is allowed Ex: Yellow/Blue... Yelllow/ Orange are ok!
    Please, it is imperative we don't ride this trail. Those who are riding it are hurting our opportunities as a mountain biking community per our relationship with the park Staff. The park rangers and staff are very helpful to us and we are guests at the park. We(NEPMTBA) have a fantastic working relationship with the rangers, they
    are on our side. I have the opportunity to post this on the website due to the fact I as well as Chris Stine and Kevin Czekalski as well as the other members of NEPMTBA and Hubbard Bicycle Club have worked very hard to keep the trails open at the park. We(NEPMTBA) don't maintain the Yellow Trail it is a "Hiking only" trail and is marked with signs notifying of it being off limits to MTBs.
    We(NEPMTBA) ask for your cooperation in this matter. Our cooperation is not going unnoticed. The work we do is greatly appreciated by the park staff.
    If you are not sure of the proper trails to ride please stop by the park office and ask one of the rangers, they are alway glad to help. pass this on to anyone who rides the trails at Frances Solcum State Park...

Thank you for your understanding!
    NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Lee.....what needs to be done, unfortunatly in this case, is once again have the park manager and ranger stake out the trail for a few days and fine the ones they catch riding the yellow like they did a few months ago. That nice $415.00 fine goes a long way in catching most people's attention to the fact they shoudn't be on that trail.

I am not advocating "The Man" comming down on us, but what I fear is all of the responsible riders at the park that have adhered to the "No Yellow" policy are going to be the ones that suffer if this continues..regardless of our working relationship with the park. All it is going to take is for one of these irresponsible jerks..yes, JERKS!!!.... to go barrelling down the trail and take out a hiker. All it takes is one A** hole and kiss it all goodbye. I'm sure many trail advocates here will agree with me on this point.

We know these are not "Lost" riders getting on the trail by mistake considering that's pretty hard to do since the trail is marked at both ends with "NO BIKES" designation signs and all of us pretty much know who and what group is doing it.

Since the park has brought it to our attention that means it's becomming an issue and I think we need to start taking a more direct and proactive approach to the problem. Remember..it's not the NEPMTBA that hikers are seeeing...it's "Those Dammned Mountain Bikers" We all get painted with the same brush.

Kevin
    NEPMTBA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kev:

We will work it out with all concerned. I, as a member of NEPMTBA don't want to see it get out of control. We can inform everyone as to the rules of the Park and avoid any fines and aggravation for all of us including rangers at the park. We are working with the park staff to help them promote the proper use. This is "NOT" a big thing. What the heck it's less than a mile of trail we don't ride...Whereas we have 5.5 miles of trails we can ride as of now..with more opportunities in the future if we work through this. I would like to extend my thanks again to the Frances Slocum park staff and rangers who have helped us in many ways. We are dedicated to working along side you now and in the future.
    Fellow Mountain bikers: Please remember back a while ago, say about 3 years there were "NO" Organized trails, maintaince, grooming or other things that make MTBing fun at the park. Yes, people did suff and rode there, but it is much better now with a communication line between all of us.You have the rangers and staff to thank for that!

If I have to sum it up: The Yellow trail is off limits, this does not make the Yellow trail special or give it some kind of magic, it's grown in and not wide enough for mt biking anyways. We(NEPMTBA don't maintain or groom it in anyway, so why would you wanna ride it when the other trails are like So NICE? Even If you don't like to hike it is a Great Hiking trail, so drop your bike and go for a walk sometime on the Yellow Trail.... I do! Great fishing there also...I might even show the secret fishing spot!

Thanks

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    Lee FYI

There is one spot leading onto one of the yellow trails that is not marked. I pointed it out to Chris during the work day, but forgot to mention it to you after the ride. If you need more info on the spot I am refering to let me know.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Tom;

Forwarded to the Ranger

Thanks

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Things are Great at Frances Slocum!

To all:

I would like to update things here.

We(NEPMTBA) are working very hard at Frances Slocum with a plan to organize and direct or efforts on our goals. Organization is the key! You have to understand what we do is for the mountain biking community. We follow the guidelines of the park and the Rangers. The trails at the park are in great shape. A very nice summer with little rain helped our effort. Please visit often! The 5.5 miles of trails(all are groomed) that exist now are really fun and different loops can be used to make longer rides. Anyone visiting the park for the first time can park at the gasline access on Carverton Road or on the upper parking lot on Green Road. Another option is to park at the Boat Launch parking lot and then ride half a mile on the Carverton Road bike path(paved) to the gasline access.
    The "MTB" trails are all marked with painted sqaure blazes as follows:
    Blue(Mocanaquah) outer permiter loop
    White(Buck) connector to Blue
    Orange(Hilltop) connector to Blue
    At cetain places on the ride you will come across other colors Blue/White...Yellow/Blue...Yellow/Orange which are "OK" to ride!
    These are all sub connectors(mini sections of trail) to take you back to the main loop "Blue" or to connect you to another trail "White" or "Orange"
    The solid Yellow is Deer Trail and not a "MTB" Trail and is posted with carsonite posts displaying the (red slash circle with the mt bike in the middle) at the entry locations.
    All this might sound confusing, but the trails flow and are very easy to follow. "All" the trails I talk about are open to hikers. Please remember a friendly wave or just a 'Hi' will go really far as to representing yourself as a "Great" member of the Mountain biking community.

If you have any questions or doubt as to how things work please visit the park office for a map and help. We(NEPMTBA) host a Tuesday night ride beginning at 6pm every Tuesday. We offer ride and guide to all. All levels of skills are welcome. From Beginner to Expert. Please bring your helmet and saftey gear as well as water and a well functioning bicycle.
    The Trails are semi to full technical(rocks, logs & roots) and offer varing terrain with uphills and downhills. We do have Bailouts if necessary. On our ride we take breaks for recovery. Ride length is usually 1 hour depending on rider turnout with optional additional loops if so desired.

NEPMTBA can be reached by visiting our website(address below)

Thanks

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    FYI: We rode Slocum this morning (Sunday) and noticed that there is at least one more trail intersection that is not properly marked with the designated color.
    Last edited by tturbotom; 08-13-2007 at 05:06 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tturbotom
    FYI: We rode Slocum this morning (Sunday) and noticed that there is at least one more trail intersection that is not properly marked with the designated color.

Those are some nice jumps/drop offs on BLT. Steve got up the courage to do that large one. I played video man and while Johnny was our safety guy and made the jump more stable.
    Tom:

We know of the unmarked trails and they are from the old trail system before the park was assigned designated MTB trails! They will be close and covered so they grow back on our next work day.

Thanks

Wizard of the Trail
    Hey Lee,
    I have only ridden that area once. When we went up there to ride, I was given a trail map from Kevin, but I forgot it. Anyway, I parked at the boat launch. Here is my suggestion. What you need there, at that kiosk, is maps. I had no idea where I was going. I knew not to ride yellow, but we were confused as to where we were. This is no excuse to ride trails that are clearly marked "no cycling." It would be great if they could put maps there like the LSP does.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Hey Lee,
    I have only ridden that area once. When we went up there to ride, I was given a trail map from Kevin, but I forgot it. Anyway, I parked at the boat launch. Here is my suggestion. What you need there, at that kiosk, is maps. I had no idea where I was going. I knew not to ride yellow, but we were confused as to where we were. This is no excuse to ride trails that are clearly marked "no cycling." It would be great if they could put maps there like the LSP does.
    Randy:

As far as I know the koisk is planned. We just started doing this last November and we have lots planned for the future. The trails are comnsidered done and flowing now the other things will fall in place. Maps can be obtained form the park office in the park proper then park at the Carvetton Road gasline access or the upper Green Road parking area where there is a kiosk already.

Thanks