mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Listen! Frances Slocum Ride10-6-09

We had our last Tuesday night ride for the 2009 season. We a great time. I would like to thank Rex Bradish and all of the Frances Slocum staff for all of their support and help this year. I would especially would like to give an extra special thanks to all the volunteers who help me out this summer. All of the Tuesday night riderís thanks for coming out and I hope you enjoyed your ride at the park.

The Tuesday night ride will start in April 2010. Check back to the site around in late March for the date. The mountain bike trails are open all year long seven day a week dawn to dusk. During hunting season please be careful during that time of the year and wear bright color clothing.

Check back on the WVMTBA site for events and rides this fall, winter & spring.

Here are a sample of some pictures from the ride to see more go to this link

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread.php?p=1319#post1319

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member
    Chris, I have some pics of everyone coming out of the woods lights ablazin'! I'll get them up as soon as I get caught up here.

Might be the last ride at Slocum for the season, but don't forget about the Epic trail day on October 18th! 24 miles of downhill!!

mtbr member
    Is that Epic Trail day at the Lehigh River Gorge. The 25 mile downhill is nice but if you had to ride back, that would be rough. I know its only a 2% grade but you can kind of tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks Shawn, I know about the RR grades as historical rail roads are my specialty. The past three weeks I've ridden the whole trail in segments in both directions, and you are correct, although only 2% in some spots, after riding "upgrade" about 10 miles or so you KNOW you're going uphill! Made a world of difference though by putting 700 x 28c's on my road bike and using that as the trail is pretty much a hard packed crushed limestone road for the most part.

We have cars parked at the trail head in Thorpe for the return ride.

I do want to mention however with the weather being real cold and miserable..and of course wet, esp leading up to the ride....actually snow already in some parts as I'm sure along the trail, I might delay the trip by one week. It's supposed to warm up next week and since we have a lot of families and novice riders that want to go, I want them to enjoy the ride, not be cold & miserable.

Thanks for thinking about us Shawn!

mtbr member
    Jeeze...Sorry Chris as I was supposed to put up pics last week of the final ride, well..actually you guys at the end, so here they are! I'll also include some of the gorge trail as well here.

Our fearless leader!! With all the lights coming out of the woods someone might have thought there was a UFO convention going on!

Bear!!

Amy...Better half of Dave!!

Lol..and of course Dave!
    Last edited by Plains Bike; 10-16-2009 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's some of the Gorge Pics:

I'm sure this sign raises a few eyebrows! You have to thank Reading Blue Mountain & Northern RR as they have taken an active part in trail care work by keeping their ROW clean and neat and helping along the way with neat signs like these.

One of the more interesting sections of the trail, at the Penn Haven Junction, showing what few people know about in that one area, that is still there..and is one helluva hill climb for those that want the challenge!

Although hard to see, the start of the trail for Penn Haven at the foot of the Gorge trail. I made the challenge to Jake P as he and his dad are doing the ride..to se if he can make it to the top without barfing over the bars!

Like I said, you can run a road bike or cross bike down the trail with no problem at all, which makes it very user friendly, esp for the newbie's.

One of the many canal locks that are still evident along the trail. Long before the RR they had the canal system in place. Many people ride the Gorge and don't even know these exist.

Ok..enough for now. Like I said, I'm watching the weather for the ride this Sunday. I want people to enjoy it, not complain about being wet/cold. I know, I know, the hardcore amongst us have no problem, but when you're getting new people interested in it you want them to have fun.

mtbr member
    Forgot...anyone interested in going can email me at Plainsbike@epix.net, or go to our website....wvmtba.com and leave a message on the shoutbox or in the forum.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up.....First of all I want to thank those that have emailed Chris & myself with trail conditions the past 24 hours or so. Thanks to the MountainTop gang and individual riders that are helping out.

I'm sorry to say as it looks like it's going to be raining all day today with another snow storm moving in overnight for the higher elevations, I'm gonna call off the ride for the 18th (Sunday, Tomorrow) and reschedule it for next Sunday the 25th...same times and arraingments.

Might be a good thing this happened as a local Boy Scout troop is interested in going as well, so..hey, the more the merrier..It's all about riding and getting new people involved.

Again, thanks all for the help!