Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Frances Slocum Damage

From DR John:

I went this afternoon (sorry I didn't go with you to ride Lee - long story). It is not too bad. 4 large blowdowns. Only 1 absolutely requires a chainsaw - on the red gravel road - a solid poplar about 20 inches - glad we didn't see it fall! Maybe the park will take care of that. Otherwise based on what I saw there is a 10 inch pine laying along side of and on top of the top section of Granny. It could be gotten with hand saws. Above Granny is a really big but clean 24 inch log on an up hill - may be best to make into a log over. THere is a really big tree along side the trail above the swampy area where all the rocks are - but it is 4-5 feet from the trail so all that needs to happen is to limb it - multiple 4 inch limbs that could be gotten with a handsaw and some elbow grease. There is another but I can't recall the details. I think I hit most of the trails.

There are a few annoying little things that flip up into the spokes that should be gotten off but not to bad really.

John

NEPMTBA will have people going tonight(Thursday) to take care of things!

We will be at the Carverton road access at 6 PM.

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    From DR John:

I went this afternoon (sorry I didn't go with you to ride Lee - long story). It is not too bad. 4 large blowdowns. Only 1 absolutely requires a chainsaw - on the red gravel road - a solid poplar about 20 inches - glad we didn't see it fall! Maybe the park will take care of that. Otherwise based on what I saw there is a 10 inch pine laying along side of and on top of the top section of Granny. It could be gotten with hand saws. Above Granny is a really big but clean 24 inch log on an up hill - may be best to make into a log over. THere is a really big tree along side the trail above the swampy area where all the rocks are - but it is 4-5 feet from the trail so all that needs to happen is to limb it - multiple 4 inch limbs that could be gotten with a handsaw and some elbow grease. There is another but I can't recall the details. I think I hit most of the trails.

There are a few annoying little things that flip up into the spokes that should be gotten off but not to bad really.

John

NEPMTBA will have people going tonight(Thursday) to take care of things!

We will be at the Carverton road access at 6 PM.

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA
    I take it you all had some storms in the NE? Nothing around here but blue skies.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Update!

Trails now clear or semi open are:

Grannys Trail Open/Clear
    SRD Open/runaround and new logover option --Yee Haa
    Roman Road Open/Clear
    Farm Road Open/new logover- this will be removed as it is a park access road - ride it till then! figures the really cool logover is in an area where it will be taken out! FUDGE!

BLT has a huge TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE across, suspended about 3 feet in the air, it will be dropped or removed soon!

Chris and Lee spent 6 hours till dark to get it all open again.

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005

Good stuff!

Good work out Slocum! I will be able to help on Monday or Tuesday before the ride to get the park back into the great shape it was! Hopefully the CDH will be ready for Friday, I have most of the trails done, a few blow downs I am not sure what to do with.
    Ride on!
    Gary

my church is the woods
    just a friendly observation - doesn't NEPA have it's own very special sticky trail report thread at the top of the list? why 4 new threads on the matter of a few fallen trees. , but hey, do whatever you need to do Sorry for the bit of attitude, my last couple trail rides have been not so pleasant because the fricken horse flies are constantly attacking me, and thus I've been riding more road bike, so maybe that roadie type of tude' is starting to come out of me

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    just a friendly observation - doesn't NEPA have it's own very special sticky trail report thread at the top of the list? why 4 new threads on the matter of a few fallen trees. , but hey, do whatever you need to do Sorry for the bit of attitude, my last couple trail rides have been not so pleasant because the fricken horse flies are constantly attacking me, and thus I've been riding more road bike, so maybe that roadie type of tude' is starting to come out of me
    MR:

Yes, I will put it there also. I put it out here to attract more attention to get help faster. We were hit pretty hard at FS (not just a few trees) and it's gotta get cleaned up quick so that's why all the thread concerns. With 5.5 miles of trails if one gets blocked it pretty much cancels the other loops. Not a lot to rides so 5 large trees shut the trail system down! I was at the park yesterday and many people us the trails. It's a continuous loop of people. Well, as soon as they see me cutting out one tree they tell me of the others laying on the trails, not bad considering mostly all say THANK YOU to me and our group!

You have to realize in this day and age people will constantly ask "Hey when are you removing those downed trees" -- asking over and over! I guess it's just human nature to want to keep their fav trails open, but sometimes they don't realize we don't get paid to do what we do and our own personal lives come into play! Many don't realize they can also help, but don't know how to get involved even after we invite them to our workdays. WHEEW! That's just at FS --

Prompton is destroyed! In spoke with the PM and he plans to attend the clean up on Sunday! Hey com'on up bring your friends and there should be no flies up here! We have Huge Flying Frogs that eat them -- LOL! Sometime this summer plan to bring your buds to Gary's Chinese DH some Friday! Swimming Pool, Hot Dags and a ride back up in a truck after 8 or so miles of mostly DH with great skinnys and wood sections!

What's a ROADIE? -- LOL!