Gravity's Gone

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua

Wyatt & I met up with Clipless & his crew (incuding Flurry The Traildog) at the Mocanaqua Loop Trail for a little exploratory mission Sunday morning. Clipless was the only one of us who had ridden there before but armed with maps we set out. We never got too lost, the weather was great and we had a lot of fun. I'll be back to hit it again.

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2058.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2060.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2062.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2065.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2066.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2067.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2069.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2070.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2074.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2075.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2078.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2080.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2081.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2082.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2084.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2087.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2089.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2095.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2097.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2101.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2103.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2106.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2109.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2110.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2112.jpg

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-100_2115.jpg

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It was a very cool ride, nice to meet you guys(and Flurry).

ride more
    Mar 2007
    p.s. what an awesome weekend, I am beat.

mtbr member
    Wow, Nanker you sure do ride a lot.

mtbr member

Looks like you had a massive ....

...weekend of riding! The Hike a Bike section at the begining is pretty intense. There is a connection from Mocanqua to Newport Township trails at Wanamie.....there is some DH stuff there.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

ride more
    Mar 2007
    there wasn't any hike a bike section where we were, but their was some super steep climbs and some steep sketchy desents.

Rolling on 650b
    Wyatt, nice to meet you too. Nanker, nice seeing you again. Yep, that was a fun ride! A great day of riding with great guys and nice weather. We've got to hook up and hit some more trails together over the summer. Can you believe as soon as Flurry got out of the car she got a drink then went and got a ball to play catch? All I wanted to do was sit on the porch with a beer.

Nice pics by the way, I didn't even see you taking most of them.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Nanker's sneaky with that camera! Flurry's a cool dog.

Did you ever have ham?

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua

You definitely have to keep your eye on Nanker when he has a camera in hand. I swear that guy leads the local Paparazzi. Hey, Nanker...do you have any celeb photos from over the bushes...LOL!!!

I was at K-Mart tonight and I saw a really cool looking full-suspension 26" Mongoose. I am going to get one of those so I can jump with you at Hess Fields...LMAO!!! Just think of how fast I wouldn't be!!! Do you think K-Mart would take it back after I smashed it...LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    I have never been on that trail before. It looked pretty fun from the pics. Where does the trail begin? How long is the loop ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That trail looks pretty buff- how do you think a cyclocross bike would do there?

mtbr member
    Man I remember this ride! That first section, as you very well put it, "Hike A Bike" was just that..a killer of a climb, but once you overcame that section it was an awesome trail system throughout that whole area. The decent coming back down into Moc was a thrill ride as well.

Nice ride guys, and great pics!
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

Rolling on 650b

Mocanaqua loop

You can get directions to the parking area and a map from: http://www.earthconservancy.org/html...il_system.html
    You may be able to hit some of the trails with a 'cross bike, but many of the trails are definitely too rocky. When we rode it we avoided the hike-a-bike start. Got a little 'misplaced' while riding, but I think I finally figured out what we actually rode. Ended up being a little over ten miles.
    Please forgive my poor attempt at drawing in our route on the map.

Five Cannondales @ Mocanaqua-moc-map.jpg

mtbr member
    Just curious guys.....yesterday I was out and about checking the Penobscot Trail in Newport Township, and up past Glen Lyon, heading in the direction of Moc, past the cemetaries on top of the hill..about a mile from that directly across from the rock quarry I stumbled across the remains of the old RR bed that crossed thru.

Could this be used as a possible "Back Door" to the Moc trail loop? From all indications it looks like it, so I posted some pics up on our site. When you get a chance see if you recognize any of it or know the area.

Thanks!

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread.php?t=532

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I was only there that one time, but your pics really look familiar.? I think you might be right.

mtbr member
    Hey this is yellow furio frame, great ride (although it was a bummer to hear my Oakleys fly off the roof of clipless' car never to be found again. Hopefully some lucky kid has a nice pair of shades right now.) and nice to meet nanker and wyatt.

Plains bike - the 7th pic really looks familiar. Nanker might have one of the same feature.

Clippless, how is this any different than FACEBOOK?! haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just curious guys.....yesterday I was out and about checking the Penobscot Trail in Newport Township, and up past Glen Lyon, heading in the direction of Moc, past the cemetaries on top of the hill..about a mile from that directly across from the rock quarry I stumbled across the remains of the old RR bed that crossed thru.

Could this be used as a possible "Back Door" to the Moc trail loop? From all indications it looks like it, so I posted some pics up on our site. When you get a chance see if you recognize any of it or know the area.

Thanks!
    Yes you can connect Penobscot and Moc through those back trails

mtbr member
    Thanks Nithius.......I think I figured a route out, very simple actually thru Google Earth. Today was the day I had planned on riding it but alas...Mother's day, so the bike has to sit it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    After you pass the cemetery there is a yellow gate. Hop on the trail behind it and take an immediate right (if you go straight there is a pretty cool cave although they fenced it in you can hop over and take a look)
    and that will take you out to the backside of Moc.

mtbr member
    When I went in the railroad bed across from the rock quarry, I exited at that yellow gate (Basically made a big wide loop back there) and saw that trail that split off there right before the gate on my left...so that is the way I'll ride it.

I picked out another way thru the stripped out area but looks like I'll get goofed up a bit if I make that one wrong turn, so..I like your idea a lot better.