mtbr member

First time to Raystown, and it was in the snow...

Ryan(blue Jamis), Seth(red Raleigh), and I(green Fisher) left early, early Saturday 12/5 morning to head to Raystown for the weekend. All week the forecast said "flurries" on Sat. Yeah, there were a lot of flurries. We bought a trail map from Rothrock Outfitters, great place I might add, and they told us to make sure we wore orange on Saturday since the hunters would be out. I stretched a $3 knit hat over my helmet as did Ryan. By the time we got to the parking lot on Bakers Hollow Road, it was snowing pretty good. We're mt. bikers, snow, sleet, whatever, we drove out here, we're riding thing trails! For the better part of our ride we were making "freshies" in the snow. Towards the end we encountered a group of 6 or so. We got back to van soaked, and the bikes had 5-10lbs of snow/ice on them. My flats had a 1/4" of ice on each side. After checking into the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon, we all cleaned up, I lubed my bike. Then we headed to Boxers Cafe, great place!!! I had several beers, an appetizer, burger with fries, and cake. Little Seth asked the waitress for a second burger after he finished his first one. They're not small burgers by the way. The following morning we headed out to the van to ride some more of the trails. It was 22degrees! Sunday morning was better than saturday trail riding wise; not snowing, and colder, so the snow was a bit grippier. All of us got back to van very cold and eager to return to this place when it is dry and dusty! Looks like a place that one can rail the turns. My only beef with the place is that there is not a ONE technical feature. And there are only like 5 rocks on the 30miles of trails. That being said, it really is an awesome network of trails, and we really look forward to riding them again, hopefully in drier conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

ride more
    Mar 2007
    awesome !

Gravity's Gone
    Great pix of one of my favorite places to ride. I agree about the lack of technical features, but with as much tech stuff we have here close to home, I actaully enjoy a break from the rocks when we go there. My first thought when I looked at the pix without reading the text was "WTF is that on their heads???"

mtbr member

No Rocks.....

......NEPA is "rockin" all the time....really enjoy some smooth trails when we can find them....gotta check out Allegrippis soon!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It really is a fun and unique place to ride. Jeff this spring we will have too get a group together and road trip..........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Well done guys... nothing stopped you from the fun!

Good choice on wearing flo orange also!

Hydro is my fav trail, well all are but...

Did you ever have ham?

Raystown

Looks like you guys had a blast down there and nice thought with the orange hats! I have not been there yet and I keep hearing all these wonderful stories...I have to get there soon! I will have to remember the Boxer's Cafe once I get there.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    ......NEPA is "rockin" all the time....really enjoy some smooth trails when we can find them....gotta check out Allegrippis soon!

No doubt. If you want technical riding there's no shortage of that in the area. It's a nice change-up to be able to rail some fast, flowy single track from time to time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    No doubt. If you want technical riding there's no shortage of that in the area. It's a nice change-up to be able to rail some fast, flowy single track from time to time.
    There was no "railing" taking place this past weekend in the snow. However, I agree, come dry trails, there will be some serious railing takin' place!

guy in the woods
    features...have to know where to look..... as IMBA will tell you features become a huge management issue.

think of it as a blank canvas for the next 30 years of riding and grooming as thats how long the lease on the land is. The paperwork to get a ladder bridge in is generally longer than the ladder itself, the paperwork to build a kicker is bigger than the gap itself, I'll keep pushing so long as folks keep ridin'