Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

First ride at Gretna

First ride at all this season pretty much.

Decided that I was going to ride today. No-one was going to stop me. If I went by myself than so be it.

Trail 15 is pretty. I consider myself a technical rider, not overly powerful, but I've got moves...but some of the rocky sections on 15 baffled me.

I only rode for 2 hours, and the first 30 minutes I felt like crap, then hit a burst of energy that had me pretty impressed, but I lost that after getting lost myself on Trail 13.

Everytime I go to Gretna I forget how large the park is.

Next time, I'll take a map.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    What day were you out? I rode all around Gretna sunday10-5, on a green Knolly, rode the new GD trail too. Trail 15...? Only know the trails by name, not number...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I rode at Governor Dick...I don't really know about the Gretna trails outside of that one. I don't know the name of GD trails outside of numbers because between SAMBA and maps at the park...they don't appear to have any "official" names.

Is there a map of the trails outside of Gretna?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    There used to be a map made by riders, with "our" trail names, but I doubt any of those are still floating around. To really see Gretna, you really gotta ride with a local. I'm out there most weekends, if any one wants a tour...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I didn't ride past you because I would've noticed a Knolly.

Everyone I saw was riding hardtails or older FS deals.

I ride a dark blue Prophet with a Lefty.

After seeing some of your pictures I realize that I've actually walked on the "Fence Trail" and noticed the jumps there. Looks like fun.

Oh, and for your viewing pleasure: SAMBA Trail map w/numbers

Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 10-07-2008 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    live only 30 mins away from gretna and have not made it there yet, only got my bike about 1 week ago so im a newbie, been out around chickies rock riding every day. I want to make it up to gretna soon as well as rocky ridge in york county and susquehanna park in havre de grace,md.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I live in Marietta, and ride Chickies on a regular basis.

If you can get down Breezy View (the trail) without going over, you can handle just about everything.

When I was a youngin I'd ride Chickies probably 2-3 times a week with friends during the summer.

Now I'm only there 1-2 a month...and I live right next to it!

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I didn't ride past you because I would've noticed a Knolly.

Everyone I saw was riding hardtails or older FS deals.

I ride a dark blue Prophet with a Lefty.
    Hey, were you the guy on the Prophet that I fixed the front disc brake on the trail in Gretna this weekend?

I used to dirt jump at chickies like 12 years ago, the locals Dan and Wayne had a big blue diving board to launch out of the pit to a step-up. man I loved that jump....

Since hunting season has begun, Sundays are now the day to see 'the rest' of gretna.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the map. When I have some spare time I'll add the "local" names to those trails.

And it's that time of the year that we'll clean up fence trail too!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Nope, although I was having some issues with my Hayes hydros...but I rode on.

I sport a black helmet, normally have a green Camelpack and I'm usually in my Millersville jersey or all black clothing (not goth just ended up that way).

This is not me:

Nor is this:

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Todd....

What Knolly ya' ridin'?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    What Knolly ya' ridin'?
    Super Natural BC green Delirium T, with a 66rc3 and dhx air. Absolutely love this bike!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Pretty wild ride Todd, how much does it weigh complete? What's the retail on the Delirium?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Well, mine has a lot of heavy parts on it, and I know you can get them much lighter, but mine with NYCFR pedals, older "heavy" dh wheels, bars, stem weighs 41lbs... But pedals like a much lighter bike. I can ride dh/fr lines and still keep up with the xc boys.

Knolly's are pretty high end, and are manufactured in North America. DT's start at $2500.00 for the frame.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Todd,
    Is the shop open on Sunday?
    I live in New Holland and may be riding up there on Sunday.
    Eric
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just started riding there too. But I live an hour away and can't get there all too often. I've ridden #15 a couple times. Sweet trail. There are a few spots that give me trouble, but my ratio of successes to failures was high enough to keep me smilin' the whole way!

Both times I was more than happy to return to the car on something a little tamer, like a #12 or #5.