Tactical Wheel Man

First Race - Got S'MOKED!!!!

Well, gents, I've been out on this website for a while and finally decided to try my hand at racing. I signed up for the Sport 30 - 34 year old class in the "On The Rocks at French Creek" race in Pennsylvania this past weekend.

I finished the very intense, very rocky, very technical 11.5 mile race in 2 hours and 3 minutes and came in 31st out of 35 combatants. Needless to say, I should have entered the Beginner 6 mile race.

Regardless, I enjoyed it very much and plan to ride some more races this summer...in the correct class this time My younger brother and I did it together. He raced in his first race as well in the 12 years old and under 6 mile race. He came in 5th out of 10 combatants. Great job, Little Buddy!!

It was a bit muddy out there this past weekend, as we got about 1.75 inches of rain on Friday before the Saturday race.

Time to start training hard now that we know what to expect!

Little Brother poses with my machine loaded in the truck after the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great job Marshal, Your first race should have been in the beginner class, I bet after a couple beginner races you will want to try the sport again !!!

The picture of your little bro is priceless. reminds me that riding a bike brings back the little kid in all of us.

keep up the good work.

ganginwood
    is that the kid that was duking it out at the line with all the people cheering at the end of the race? i remember the crowd going apesh$t when 2 tykes came crawling in side by side grinding their way to the finish. it was pretty cool to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Tactical Wheel Man
    Thanks a lot for your feedback and encouragement, Guys. I love racing! I'm hooked!!

I shot my little bro an email asking if that was him...I was still out on the trails when he finished.

What a great time!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great Job. I was in your class , but I have been in sport for three years now. It is tough class because nobody know where they belong. Some Sport rider should be in beginner and others should be in expert. Finishing a race like that, especially being your 1st one, is an accomplishment. I would stick with sport if I were you, but keep in mind, that was a rather short race. Most sport races are around 15 miles in the MASS series. Keep crankin!

Bryan

Tactical Wheel Man
    Quote Originally Posted by awdjunkie
    Great Job. I was in your class , but I have been in sport for three years now. It is tough class because nobody know where they belong. Some Sport rider should be in beginner and others should be in expert. Finishing a race like that, especially being your 1st one, is an accomplishment. I would stick with sport if I were you, but keep in mind, that was a rather short race. Most sport races are around 15 miles in the MASS series. Keep crankin!

Bryan
    Hey, nice work, Bryan! Per the results, since you were the only Bryan, it looks like you posted a very solid 12th place with a 1hr 15min run. That's FLYIN' and only 7mins 55secs off the win!!

Thanks for the feedback, Bro. I'll see you out there next time!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks. I'll likely be at Granogue next. IF you want to get in a race before French creek next year check out www.catclassic.net THat is a tougher race but a lot of fun.
    Keep riding!

BRyan

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very cool! I am not ready to try racing, but I would like to go watch one once to get an idea of what it is all about.

mtbr member

I feel your pain...

My first race was French Creek last year and I entered the expert/elite cat. My friend pressured me into it as it was mothers day, the race was delayed, and this group went out first. Needless to say we got wooped, we finished 2nd to last and last, in 3 hours. I was just happy to finnish the 18 mile pain fest. Next time I will definately pic beginner or sport.... by the way it was totally awsome...a ton of fun and I will try to do some more races this year....