mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Family ride at Rothrock

My Dad lives in State College and my kids and I are planning a visit this weekend. He is wondering if there are some easy trails we can ride. Maybe flowy double track with not too much elevations change.

He will be riding some kind of hybrid and though my 10-year-old is pretty good, my 8-year-old is largely untested.

Perhaps there is another nearby park we can check out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There is some easy doubletrack riding in Rothrock. but not much that is easy and level. I would recommend going up to Black Moshannon State Park, about a half hour drive north of State College. Star Mill loop is fun, but fairly level and easy, good for kids and beginners. Sleepy Hollow and Ski Slope trails are fun, too, but are steeper. There is some double track in the surrounding state forest lands, including Smays Run Trail and North Run Trail.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    And of course if you're willing to drive out a bit more there's always Raystown Lake, you could ride from the parking on Baker's Hollow Rd and stay on the upper trails to keep things from getting out of hand time and distance wise.

I'm thinking of course of Buck/Doe/Fawn/Buck, which would be a fairly short loop; or Buck/Alle/Grippis/Berry Patch/Loco-Motive/Red Legs/Alle/Buck, which would be longer - probably a couple miles but I don't really know - but still would keep things in a pretty controlled.

trail info ==> https://sites.google.com/site/allegrippis/home

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Something else i just though of:

the most "flowy" double track i have ever ridden is in Rothrock, the Deitweiler trail. It is an absolute blast to ride down, but of course, to go down you must first pedal up. It is possible to put together some nice loops in that area with gated fire roads and gravel forestry roads, but some of them are rather steep in places.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That reminds me, I haven't ridden Rothrock yet this year.

Grrr.

That WILL happen in September.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Scotia game lands is just east of town and full of flowy double track. Unfortunately it's very easy to get lost in there.

There are 3ish miles of easy (by central pa standards, at least) trails in the woods between science park and blue course. These are usually referred to as the accuweather trails.

Rothrock, hybrids and inexperienced riders of any age don't mix well. If you have a gps, I recommended buying a scotia map at any LBS and going exploring. Otherwise the accuweather trails would probably be ok albeit a bit challenging for your group.

Black mo would be okay but it's a bit far from town and there isn't a good map available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You can get a Black Moshannon map for free at the Park office.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Malemute Kid View Post
    You can get a Black Moshannon map for free at the Park office.
    The DCNR maps aren't always the best, but they are -all- online for the PA state parks. Here's Black Mosh SP:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_004909.pdf

PA*DCNR*-*Black Moshannon State Park

Best,
    Mark