mtbr member
    Jul 2004

EWR Bikes 29er Project

Greetings everyone. EWR Bikes is proud to announce that we are in the process of prototyping a 29er, based off of our popular and proven Original Woods Bike frame platform. We are currently working on a medium- and large-sized prototype mules, and we are courting response for an XXL sized frame.

We will have engineering drawings up on our website within a week or so, and a photo documentation of the prototype process as we develop them.

Please check out www.ewrbikes.com for more information in the coming days. We would love to get some feedback on this project from you all, especially regarding interest in XXL sized frames. Again, look for our drawings and updates within a week both on our website and here. Thanks for reading.

Jay de Jesus/EWR Bikes
    www.ewrbikes.com
    Email: jay@ewrbikes.com, info@ewrbikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    now you're talking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    now you're talkin? you don't even ride 29ers? Jay, you go pink w/ purple polka dots and I'll order one tomorrow!!! Good luck with all this brotha... Seriously, I hope it all works out for ya... Word round campus is there is a pretty positive Vibe goin around... Good Luck...

mtbr member
    Here's something...

29'ERS SUCK! I'm not kidding either. But if I may add something I've posted about before and people from Hubbard heard me say previously- The rear wheel should be upped to a 150mm and the BB to an 83. These are DH specs and should be used on 29'ers. Here's why...
    A bigger wheel using the same dish as a smaller makes the spokes a lot more... Hmmm, Vertical? Does that explain it fairly? By opening up the flanges of the hub, you lose most of the dishing. Most 150 hubs have the flanges spread apart wider. Hence the idea of 150mm wide hubs. Also, people riding are generally taller riders. This equals longer seatstays which also mean more flex to the rear triangle. Perhaps a 12mm TA to go along w/ the 150 hub will add some strength? I'm not positive if any 150 hubs come with a QR cause all DH bikes that I've owned/seen had TA's. Possibly use the new Rock Shox QR TA?
    The reason for the 83mm BB is to keep you're chainline straight. If you used a 72 you'd have a lot of ghost shifting in the smaller cogs combined w/ the granny/middle chainring.

The Theory:
    The 83mm BB is to accomidate the chainline w/ the wider hub- which is to add lateral strength and stiffness to the rear wheel and reduce stress on the cassette-side spokes resulting in fewer broken spokes- which would take a 12mm TA to stiffen the rear triangle too.

The Advantages: Strength
    Fewer broken spokes (less dish)
    Lateral strength to the wheel (150mm hub)
    Less flex in the rear triangle (12mm TA)

The Disadvantages: Weight
    Most 150mm hubs are made for DH, so weight isn't so much the issue as strength is. Therefore hard (though not impossible) to find something light-weight. Possibly King's new DH hub or Hope or Hadley?
    The 12mm TA is usually made from machined steel. Weight is the issue again. But With the release of the Rock Shox Maxle a lightweight aluminum option might be available!
    Cranks are in the same boat cause the new external BB's only offer 83mm spindles on their DH cranksets. Though you can most likely get an AM/light FR crank with an 83mm spindle.

Final Theory:
    A new idea to strenghten a 29er's rear wheel and rear triangle that may start off by adding weight, but with time and technology (like the rest of biking) it will lighten up over the years to come if this becomes the new standard.

Last note:
    The 29er fork should also open up to a 110mm hub w/ a 20mm TA to add strength to the front wheel and like on DH bikes it will add strength to the frok on leaning turns and eliminate the majority of flex in the fork and wheel.

Jay, send me a PM if you don't know who I am , or ask Jack or Shaf. ttyl, Fahn

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

New question here. I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Here's something...

29'ERS SUCK! I'm not kidding either. But if I may add something I've posted about before and people from Hubbard heard me say previously- The rear wheel should be upped to a 150mm and the BB to an 83. These are DH specs and should be used on 29'ers. Here's why...
    A bigger wheel using the same dish as a smaller makes the spokes a lot more... Hmmm, Vertical? Does that explain it fairly? By opening up the flanges of the hub, you lose most of the dishing. Most 150 hubs have the flanges spread apart wider. Hence the idea of 150mm wide hubs. Also, people riding are generally taller riders. This equals longer seatstays which also mean more flex to the rear triangle. Perhaps a 12mm TA to go along w/ the 150 hub will add some strength? I'm not positive if any 150 hubs come with a QR cause all DH bikes that I've owned/seen had TA's. Possibly use the new Rock Shox QR TA?
    The reason for the 83mm BB is to keep you're chainline straight. If you used a 72 you'd have a lot of ghost shifting in the smaller cogs combined w/ the granny/middle chainring.

The Theory:
    The 83mm BB is to accomidate the chainline w/ the wider hub- which is to add lateral strength and stiffness to the rear wheel and reduce stress on the cassette-side spokes resulting in fewer broken spokes- which would take a 12mm TA to stiffen the rear triangle too.

Most 150mm hubs are made for DH, so weight isn't so much the issue as strength is. Therefore hard (though not impossible) to find something light-weight. Possibly King's new DH hub or Hope or Hadley?
    The 12mm TA is usually made from machined steel. Weight is the issue again. But With the release of the Rock Shox Maxle a lightweight aluminum option might be available!
    Cranks are in the same boat cause the new external BB's only offer 83mm spindles on their DH cranksets. Though you can most likely get an AM/light FR crank with an 83mm spindle.

Final Theory:
    A new idea to strenghten a 29er's rear wheel and rear triangle that may start off by adding weight, but with time and technology (like the rest of biking) it will lighten up over the years to come if this becomes the new standard.

Last note:
    The 29er fork should also open up to a 110mm hub w/ a 20mm TA to add strength to the front wheel and like on DH bikes it will add strength to the frok on leaning turns and eliminate the majority of flex in the fork and wheel.

...First

You say they suck then you tell Jay how to build them?

Puzzled
    Last edited by ZapGap165; 02-23-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Keep on Rockin...

Agree with with the wide rear spacing....

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Here's something...

The Theory:

Final Theory:

Last note:

Or you could just go with a SS cassette style rear hub and use a chopped 9 speed cassette and loose the 3 tiny cogs (which you don't use all that much with the big wheels). Better yet. Just stick with a SS (though that doesn't fix the front wheel dish issue if using a disk).

Keep on Rockin...

Please consider this....

If you folks are building a HT or SS please consider more traditional geo with shorter TTs, relatively slack HAs, and forks with a bit more rake. I'll avoid the lengthy rationale, but trust me, it works better for rocky, rooty, steep, tight east coast riding. Some thing like a "large" frame having a 23.8" TT and a 71 degree HA to go with a Fox at 44-46mm of rake. Please, not another Niner-styled geomtry frame with tiny short stems, extra long TTs, and overly steep HAs (nice for bombing down high speed, straight-on, open fire roads and just maybe buffed single track).

Mike
    Last edited by Miker J; 02-23-2008 at 06:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Holy Hell... Everyone is a frame builder now... Jay, your job will be that much easier now!!! I'm a big dude and have been riding a Unit 29er now for over a year... Never any issues with strength or handling... I still have a 26" for street, and dirt jump playin but will never go back xc... Those with a bug up their ass about them, in my opinion, haven't ridden one enough to get the full jist... That or they are too cool to ride them now that they seem to be a bit of a fad that everyone is doing... It's not the fad that attracts people, it's the fact that they just make sense... Jay, I was gonna spend the next 75 sentences telling you how to build one, but these guys beat me to it... Damn it!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FNG
    Jay, I was gonna spend the next 75 sentences telling you how to build one, but these guys beat me to it... Damn it!!!
    Don't worry. I covered it all.

Remember, It took someones stupid idea to come up with the whole lame 29er thing in the first place. Now my great idea will improve junk into something worth riding.

Oh, nevermind. 29er's aren't worth riding. If you want to make things easier to roll over, why not just ride easier trails? Don't complain that the trails are so much easier and you want more technical rockgardens now. Cause if you build a harder rockgarden, then what? Will they be too hard? Do you whiners need a bigger wheel to clear those rockgardens now or how about 6" of travel? Whine away people... Whine away. You all know I'm right.

Jay asked for input. Is this yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZapGap165
    ...First
    You say they suck then you tell Jay how to build them?
    Puzzled
    At least mine has a point that can help.
    Thanks for your support. Fahn / #1
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 02-23-2008 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Larry, you have such excellant points... In the event I run out of toilet paper I now have somewhere to go...

mtbr member
    Larry, you have such excellant points... In the event I run out of toilet paper I now have somewhere to go...
    Well after reading your "excellant" and yet another useless post, you seen dumb enough to wipe your a$$ with your computer monitor . And once again, is your post making a difference in the bike world? At least I'm trying.

Oh, well. Back to skiing and work I go. Maybe I'll stop in next weekend if I have time to waste arguing with the trolls. Sorry that these trolls turned half of this post into spam, Jay. I wanted to talk to you the one day up Hubbard about this, but forgot to. ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jay & Larry:

First off I speak from the point of mainstream build. Not the lighest or the bike built for the heavy rider. Just mainstream rider. Once your platform is accepted it can and will be tuned to the extreme ends.

I see the finer points of the options you speak of. Building stuff stronger is always good and if at first the weight is a concern I'm sure it can and will be reinvented to be lighter in future models.

I would hope the fork manufacturers would plan to build such a fork for 29ers.

I support it.

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

New question here.

Larry:

I have seen your other posts and they all have the same flavor. You tell everyione things have to change cause you don't have enough time to RIDE! That's not our fault! The reason I don't post here much and just view is peolpe like you.

Here's some news for you... 29ers DON"T SUCK" They are the hottest ride going right now! Do you even ride a 29er? I never had a wheel failure on one's I built or bought. I suggest you spend less time working and sking and learn more about 29ers and bulding strong wheels.

To Jay. Can you adapt your original frame to be eastern woods worthy 29er? That is my only concern on purchasing one. If it could be built 29er and still have the same characteristics as the org/EWRs. It's a go for me.

Gotta ride 29er now...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Zap... I hear ya... I was thinking the same thing... He cries the blues and blames everything on everyone else... You know the Trolls as he says... The same thing that he is all about... I have found that this is a pretty hot topic lately and as you pointed out it's the non 29er users that have the most to say... I have put a steady year into 29ers and love em... Not to say 26 doesn't have it's place too though... I still have one and use it for Street, and Dirt Jumpin etc... XC, no comparison in my eyes... Looking forward to see the EWR 29er develop...

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    Zap... I hear ya... I was thinking the same thing... He cries the blues and blames everything on everyone else... You know the Trolls as he says... The same thing that he is all about... I have found that this is a pretty hot topic lately and as you pointed out it's the non 29er users that have the most to say... I have put a steady year into 29ers and love em... Not to say 26 doesn't have it's place too though... I still have one and use it for Street, and Dirt Jumpin etc... XC, no comparison in my eyes... Looking forward to see the EWR 29er develop...
    Yes, it's all about riding, not what you ride!

My job sometimes allows me to get around and when I can ride I do. I don't complain one bit as the job gets me the stuff to have fun with. I have ridden with everyone over the years and I can tell you thier group used to be great, but now thet have some guy who tells you "what to ride" and "what jersey" to wear. I don't know if the club was bought out or changed hands. I rode there years ago and last year. What a difference now! Very sad, because they have great trails! It doesn't matter any bit what you ride it's about getting out to have fun. I rode with the club in Maryland and they have a guy who unicycles with the mt bike group! Really cool!

It will be great to see the 29er EWRs. I'm not overly concerned with the specifics of the bike. I'm sure it will work fine. I'm so glad Jay is working on them again. Did you ever have a 26er EWR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I never owned an EWR... I have seen them up close and knew others who have... I would just love to have one to support Jay... It has to be 29er though... I ride a Unit 29er... One fully rigid, and the other a 1x9 set up with a Reba front end... I love em... Always been a huge fan of Kona too and especially their customer service with any issues...

PMBA
    I think the beefed up rear and BB would be great on a DH 29er. If there ever is such a thing. EWR rules!

www.phillymtb.com
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    The bigger BB (83mm) already exists on DH bikes. As a matter-o-fact, years ago Iron Horse and a couple other co's went to a 160 (or some to a 165mm) rear hub and a 100mm BB. This made the dish on the rear wheel non-existant. Fahn

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sorry kids -- gonna use a 73mm BB on the 29er.

Keep your eyes peeled to www.ewrbikes.com this week for a really cool announcement!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Larry, why all the negativity with the 29ers, did a guy on a 29er steal your lollipop ?? ?

Bad Karma...Kramer

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mt.Pulaski
    Larry, why all the negativity with the 29ers, did a guy on a 29er steal your lollipop ?? ?

Bad Karma...Kramer
    He needs HBS!

LMFAO