mtbr member

Evansburg Trail Days...

Trying to organize a group to maintain and hopefully expand these trails. Help out if you can!
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Which trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

whats the plan?

I'm in. I ride here once a week, I have a little one and its getting harder to find free time to ride, the loop is quick, but the 900' of climbing keeps the ss endurance in check for the weekend crank fests. Anyways there has been some good work done in there the past few months, but there is definitely room for more trail, especially along the western hill and across the abandoned quarry road where the jump line is. Whatcha planning to tackle?

mtbr member
    Right now... Taking care of all the trees that fell from Sandy. There's a bunch. Might have to reroute the trail around a few sections.

The topside of the mountain where there are rotted boards down.. ripping those out and either rock guarding it or something else. Try to get the existing trails in shape before we tackle more.

Trails are at Evansburg State Park in Collegeville...
    fern ave and ridge pike - Google Maps
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    I could probably help with this on occasion - I live in Collegeville but haven't actually ridden Evansburg in a few years. Could never really find my way around, but working on the trail is probably the best way to remedy that. Sent a request to join the group on facebook.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks,

I joined your FB page, I have family in that area and hope to get around to helping when I visit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I agree with working on the existing trails first. Replacing the rotted planks with rocks sounds doable, the rock can be gathered easily at the quarry if there is not suitable pickings near by. The other obvious improvement, once the sandy mess is cleared is whacking back the thorn bushes on the eastern side of the hill by the abandoned house. They are year long brutal since they are so overgrown, nothing a sharp machete could not take care of quickly. Still my ultimate goal would be to forge more flowy trail around the top. I've looked at the topography a few times, they're is definitely more sustainably cut miles to be had. I'll join the facebook group, get a sense of the work, tools and such planned for the 18th.

mtbr member
    NEPMTBA, let me know next time you're in the area. I'd love to ride with you. Although I'm sure you'll kick my butt...

Chestercospinner,
    I haven't thought it through at all but, I always thought it'd be awesome to have the trail go through the house. There is no way they'd "allow" us to do that but, still a cool idea...

I'm getting alot of positive feedback from everyone. It's exciting.
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    lol through the house, reminds me of an 80s movie, meaning it must be done.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    NEPMTBA, let me know next time you're in the area. I'd love to ride with you. Although I'm sure you'll kick my butt...

I will do that, and thanks for the invite, no kicking butt, just good riding with friends

I wish I lived closer to help clean up, we were pretty lucky up here this time.

mtbr member
    Count me in on that too - It'd be nice to have a face to go with every other post in the PA forum :-)
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I thought a bikeshop in Collegeville maintains these trails? Bikeworks maybe?
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    That was posted on a message board around 5 or 6 years ago.
    From what I've been gathering from talking to all the area bike shops is that Ed from Bike Works made the trails in the 90s with Jack who used to own Tailwind Bicycles.

Any work in the last three years has been done by myself or Bike and Blade in Skippack, who is involved in this with me. Last year EMS had a trail day there but, the kid who organized that lost interest. When I talked to the office they were excited that somebody actually cares about the trails.Which is sad. Hopefully, we can get a good group of guys together that will help maintain the trails, get people excited to ride here, and be a positive thing to the park.
    Last edited by fell_brook; 11-09-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fixing smart phone grammar
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    To all you guys +1 rep...
    ...for caring for trails

Thanks!

mtbr member
    One of the problem areas that needs some attention. A bunch of rocks were thrown on here at some point but, there is no rhyme or reason to them and anyone who has ridden across it knows exactly what I mean.

This tree is huge...

Perfect candidate for a log over...

I think I'm officially unofficially naming the top half of the trail "The Logging Trail" I believe this is the fourth or fifth log over in that short span...
    There are about 7 or 8 trees down blocking the main trail. Not including the single track trail that goes next to the field office. That alone has about five down all in a 30 foot span. We are thinking about rerouting there...

Excited for next Sunday. Hopefully we can get this trails in to some riding shape.
    Last edited by fell_brook; 11-10-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: broken link
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I rode the main trails on Friday to get a sense of the sandy aftermath. I cleared what I could on the "logging trail" (good name) which was a decent amount, but there are definitely some sizable trees down, thinking I'll bring my portable electric chainsaw on Sun. Agreed with building some nice log overs where we can but I'm one for challenging features too, especially since there are so few miles. This place is just begging for improvements and more miles.

PA Trail Hands used to tighty up at Evansburg too, not sure if its still active.

mtbr member
    https://www.volunteers.dcnr.state.pa...plication.aspx
    Those who plan on helping need to fill this form out to get registered with the DCNR. In Project description write "Evansburg Mountain Bike Trail Maintenance."
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    There are a few guys riding at 8am for a prework ride.
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.