steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

Encounter with a horse in Wissahickon

nevermind, thread is way off topic, thanks for your responses anyway!
    Last edited by jvp108; 06-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I never have issues with them. I just make sure to go by them nice and slow because bikes make the horses uneasy and I don't wanna get kicked in the noggin. The riders I have run into all stay off to the side to let me pass.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Regarding relationships with horseback riders, they usually have more "clout" on the trails, so pi$$ing them off isn't in our best interest.

I've rode with an mp3 player before, but it's usually too much of a PITA. Plus the headphones get all sweaty and gross.

I always yield and go slow around horses. They're bigger, I'll loose the battle.

This one time, I was riding up (slowly) behind two women on horses. They heard me and looked back. The one woman says, "Say something"
    Me: Huh?
    Her: SAY SOMETHING!
    Me: Like what?
    Her: Just say something!
    Me. What do you want me to say?
    Her: Say something so the horses know you're a person.
    Me. Oh. Well why didn't you just say that.

Then she proceeded to lecture me about how her horse gets spooked and needs to hear a human voice. I felt like saying "Yo b!tch, why don't you get your fat @ss on a bike and ride around the farm so your horse get's use to bikes. Since this is a MULTI-use trail." But I was nice and bit my tongue and rode on.

I've easily encountered over 50 horses while riding. Never once has anyone else "lectured" me. Virtually every time I get a "thank you".

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    really mixed bag with horses.

some riders are obviuosly veterans and very curteous with the horses while others seem shocked that you would dare disturb them in "their" park while they are out riding.

i always try to be nice and 95% of the time i get a nice response right back. the other 5%???? well i get a bad response from a few mountainbikers i have encountered as well...

if you don't have time to stop and smile while your out on the trails i have no time to deal with you or your attitude.

finally: the new ipod trend is stupid.... i don't encounter "deaf" riders too much on the trails at wissahickon but on the kelly drive path it is just ridiculous how many idiots have those things on cranked up so loud they can't hear whats going on around them. if i am having trouble comunicating with someone like that i just end up yelling right in their ear. usually works!

mtbr member
    You should stop your bike and wait for them to pass. Be cordial. Coming from behind is a little harder.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    You should stop your bike and wait for them to pass. Be cordial. Coming from behind is a little harder.
    Thanks, but I was looking for more of a "political pulse" on the situation I guess. I think all mtn bikers should know to dismount whether approcahing from the front or back.

mtbr member
    I slow down alot, to walking pace, greet them, and ask if they are ready for me and whether it's ok to pass them or should I stop. Like Max said 98% of the time they slow down too, thank me for being nice and tell me to go by.

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Lez go.
    I always brake for horses, people, dogs, and chipmunks. It's just common sense not to go barreling around a tight corner on a sunny Saturday morning, especially if you wear headphones.

It's amazing that bikers are the ones who still have to worry about being extra courteous on the Wiss. In my non-scientific poll, the breakdown of those on the trail who actually acknowledge my presence when greeted with a "how you doin'?" goes something like:

bikers - 90%
    hikers/runners - 70%
    equestrian - < 10%

If bikers took 10 lb. dumps in the middle of the trail, there would be hell to pay.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

mtbr member
    dmz3's comment is my experience as well and the comment about the horses taking a dump in the middle of the trail is right on; the horsey folk will have a right to complain when a mountain biker pinches one out in the middle of the trail.

Also, having grown up working my grandparents farm, I can tell you horses are big stupid animals and if its rider thinks because it hears your voice it knows your a person, she isn't much smarter. If she is riding a horse that gets sketched out that easy, she is going to be Christopher Reeve in the near future. Trigger was a fictional Hollywood creation amigos.

As for the i-pod, its like everything else, don't use it like an ass. I ride with mine back there fairly often. In an effort not go deaf and to hear people, horses, unleashed dogs, role playing fighters under the bridge, and other assorted weirdness that is in the Wiss, I don't have it up loud enough that I cannot hear what's going on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Role-playing fighters! Thank you very much.

I thought I was hallucenating one day when I saw a guy in a purple suit with a matching top hat doing Tae Kwon Do under the bridge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jvp108
    It just got me to thinking that I have never seen a moutain biker out there with headphones on, it seems like a pretty stupid thing to do.
    Its not really fair to generalize so much. I often ride with my ipod - usually with one ear out, one ear in. In 5 years of racing and riding, I have seen no shortage of riders doing dumb things and am pretty proud to say that I try to be conscientious of other riders, racers, hikers, and horse riders. I probably mountain bike close to 200 times a year and have never had a collision. (Knock on wood.) Sight is really what is important. I ride up behind people all the time who dont hear me coming at all and I am six inches behind them - I usually have to say something. I even TRY to be loud and they dont hear me. the reason - a bike doesn't make a whole lot of noise. Sight is what is crucial. Example: I was riding White Clay/Middle Run - sans ipod - behind my friend. And we had a couple of near misses because everything was so overgrown. Having available hearing did n't help at all. We only missed because we saw them at the last second. I have really good sight - far beyond 20/20 - and I find that I know people are around before they discover me - 95% of the time. I think the anti-headphones movement in mtbing is unfair. Its really pointless.
    Plus, you trying getting through a 24 hour race without music. Listening to music and riding is deeply meaningful to me and I feel I can still be just as safe as anyway else. Of all of my hours of listening I have never seen a situation where it made one bit of difference.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I ride with an Ipod when I'm alone all the time. I never really turn it up too loud so that I can't hear what's going on. I agree with everything Tim C said about the whole site issue.

In terms of horses, the horsey set always seems to get the most respect. Probably becuase they have the most dough! When I was younger, I spent about 10 years doing trail work and general land management at a suburban Philly park. Nothing impacts trails more than horses, NOTHING! They create ruts and tear up the trails way more than bikers, but they are often allowed in areas which bikes cannot go. Folks on horses also often ignore the idea of staying off of wet and muddy trails, but are the first to point out those rotten bikers in the mud. And there is the whole road/trail apple issue. I find it odd that we freak out about some dog cr#p, and expect the owners to pick it up as soon as it hits the ground, but when a horse does there duty we just accept the mountain of t#rd that they leave behind as ok.

I'm not really against horses or horse folks using trails, I just think they need to be reminded sometimes that a multi-use trail is what the name implies. We should be giving respect to all other users.

All of that being said, I am always sure to be nice to mounted riders and 9 times out of 10, the return the favor. However, it's the odd time out that we seem to remember.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I don't think its same to assume all mtn bikers knows not to approach a horse. I don't have much (any) experience with horses and I really didn't know that until someone told me (I think it was another mtn biker) that I should stop and wait for them to pass, or tell me its okay to pass. Fine by me, I'm never in that much of a hurry that I can't give someone else the right of way. Even before I knew that I should stop riding around a horse, I've never had any type of negative altercation with an equestrian.
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Nothing impacts trails more than horses, NOTHING! They create ruts and tear up the trails way more than bikers, but they are often allowed in areas which bikes cannot go. Folks on horses also often ignore the idea of staying off of wet and muddy trails, but are the first to point out those rotten bikers in the mud.
    Well, maybe a 1,000 lbs horse does exurt a little more pressure on the ground than a 200 lbs biker + bike, or 180 lbs hiker, but... ANY damage done by any of the three users is only a TINY fraction of the damage done to the trails by water erosion. Build a proper, sustainable trail and it will support without suffering any damage a horse, a biker and a hiker just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    I find it odd that we freak out about some dog cr#p, and expect the owners to pick it up as soon as it hits the ground, but when a horse does there duty we just accept the mountain of t#rd that they leave behind as ok.

I'm not really against horses or horse folks using trails, I just think they need to be reminded sometimes that a multi-use trail is what the name implies. We should be giving respect to all other users.
    Well, now I couldn't agree more! But... To have our opinion heard, considered and accepted, we need a receptive ear willing to listen and respect what we have to say to the mounted riders. If we try to be considerate and respectful of them, they will be more inclined to be respectful and considerate of us.

Just my $0.02

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]