Thread: Elk county?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Elk county?

Just curious if anyone is from the Elk/Clearfield county area?

mtbr member
    Far eastern Clearfield County.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoBomber View Post
    Far eastern Clearfield County.
    State college area?

mtbr member
    Between West Decatur and Philipsburg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Between West Decatur and Philipsburg.
    oh nice, i used to live in state college. any good trails around?

mtbr member
    I ride Rothrock, Bald Eagle(RB Winter area), Black Moshannon a good bit on the race course and Rock Run, and a whole bunch of atv/moto trails/strip mine around the house. I've heard of trails on Rockton Mt on 322 but have never ridden there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D Boogie C View Post
    Just curious if anyone is from the Elk/Clearfield county area?
    I'm in Warren County.

I've heard Brush Hollow is a good ride, but I haven't ridden it. Actually, I'm not sure if that's Mckean or Elk....close to the line???

mtbr member
    Those trails are 8-10 miles north of Ridgway off of rt. 948. I think that is still Elk County

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I live in Clearfield(town). There are some trails on top of rockton mountain. Other than that black moshannon, rothrock, raystown isn't too far away depending where you're at I guess. I have a friend that rides in St Mary's too. Said he just found some decent single track not sure where at though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by z0mbi View Post
    I live in Clearfield(town). There are some trails on top of rockton mountain. Other than that black moshannon, rothrock, raystown isn't too far away depending where you're at I guess. I have a friend that rides in St Mary's too. Said he just found some decent single track not sure where at though...
    Nice, I live in weedville. I heard there are some trails behind the country club in St Mary's. By far the best trails around I've found are at the DuBois reservoir. I rode the rockton trails today, it was OK some nice downhill stuff and a few technical rocky areas. Around about 9 miles.

mtbr member
    How are the trails on Rockton? I've heard fairly overgrown and the reason I've never ridden them. Worth taking some time to cut and rake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How are the trails on Rockton? I've heard fairly overgrown and the reason I've never ridden them. Worth taking some time to cut and rake?
    The first couple miles of the trails looked to have been maintained within the last couple months, rocks and logs in swampy area, freashly trimed sides etc. The rest was more like a ATV trail.

mtbr member
    I've thought about checking out Parker Dam and SB Elliott. The maps look like there might be promise and I've already hiked a bit at Parker Dam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yea I try and keep up a little maintenance on rockton. Somebody else was in there with a chainsaw cleaning up too which was cool. I've heard about those trails at the dubois reservoir but have yet to ride them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've thought about checking out Parker Dam and SB Elliott. The maps look like there might be promise and I've already hiked a bit at Parker Dam.
    I road Elliott last weekend, its very overgrown with alot of obstructions over the trails. Parker dam is just a bunch of fire roads and a few hiking trails, I personally don't like it. Although its only 5 min from my house I ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by z0mbi View Post
    Yea I try and keep up a little maintenance on rockton. Somebody else was in there with a chainsaw cleaning up too which was cool. I've heard about those trails at the dubois reservoir but have yet to ride them.
    Yea nice job, most of the ride was very nice. I know the reservoir like the back of my hand. We ride every Wednesday at 6pm, usually a 10-15 mile ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm from Elk Co. Live outside of Johnsonburg heading into the National Forest. I'm just getting back into riding and have been scouting for new trails locally also. I hunted with my sons out on the Laurel Mill ski trails past Sandy Beach outside of Ridgway, and for a beginner, they seemed to have potential. I live fairly close to Brush Hollow and have hiked it before. It also is a nice trail. Neither of these trails are single track, but they also aren't riding on a rutted up atv or dirt bike trail.

Two possible local resources for trail information are the Bike shops in Ridgway. There's Country Squirrel Outfitters and then right across the bridge from them is a Fuji dealer...can't remember their name. Both may have info. I just haven't had a chance to stop and ask.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Elk county?

I am from st Marys and the best trails I could find are the "elk trail" near Benezette you can Google it and find dcnr maps. Some pretty cool remote trails

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Here is some info on a future riding location.

Mountain Biking Trail System
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mountain Biking Pennsylvania by Rob Ginieczki has some nice trails in it. A favorite trail my wife and I try to ride atleast once a year is Big Springs Draft (page 74). It starts where the Quehanna Highway (PA road 1011) and Wykoff Run Road meet. Coming from Weedville (about 20 miles to the parking lot trailhead?) you would make a right at the Medix Run Hotel from 555 onto the Quehanna Highway, the parking lot would be on the right. Coming from Clearfield the parking lot is on the left 4 miles past the Quehanna Boot Camp.

0.0From the parking lot you will cross the Quehanna highway staying to the right of Wykoff Run Road picking up the trail with what I believe still has blue blazes. This is actually a cross country ski trail.

1.0 turn right at the "T" intersection onto Big Springs Draft Trail

3.0 cross a footbridge over Big Springs Draft, at the Devils Elbow

4.4 after passing a large stone spring, turn left onto the gravel road and soon after turn right onto Old Sinnemahoning Road. Note: This will actually come out to the Quehanna Highway if you stay on it.

5.0 cross the Cameron-Clearfield county line marked by the roadside post

5.3 Turn right onto the old woods road marked heavily with blue blazes, and pass around a gate onto Number Eleven Trail. Note: Watch for this because you could miss it if not looking carefully.

7.2 Turn right and head back down the Quehanna highway approx 1 mile to the parking lot on the left.

Note: At the 7.2 mile mark when you come out to the Quehanna highway you can make a left and go a short distance and turn right at the gate and the trail will head back around to the parking lot from that side of the road but we have had trouble following that in the past so we don't do that part, we just make the right when we get to the highway and ride the 1 mile back to the parking lot on the left.

Depending on your speed it takes my wife and I a couple hours as there is some technical areas but this trail is allot of fun! It is listed as a moderate aerobic level and a full body workout is guaranteed on this ride. Technical difficulty is listed as a 4 (4 being the hardest).

If you get a chance try this one, enjoy!

It states over half of the ride follows some of the best technical singletrack in the region. Rock gardens, downed trees, off-camber trail, and loose tread are just a few of the gnarly obstacles you'll encounter on this classic route.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Dave Love from Ridgeway is a wealth of info, the Ridgeway watershed land that we used to race at was a fun area, and the Garocii quarry was another area.

Garocii Quarry Switchback Trail | Ridgeway Pennsylvania Mountain Bike Trails | Trails.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loves...69004319778355

I hope is doing well and still around.