Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

elephant ride thread - 2008

So I was thinking I would start a thread to post every ride I do in 2008. Hopefully it will motivate me to ride more often and I will be able to look back and see my progress. It would be great I could get some feedback and encouragement. Maybe some of you will be in this thread because we would ride together.

The first ride I am posting is from yesterday - 01/27/08:

I drove to Jacobsburg, broke two spoke nipples in the parking lot. I just switched to tubeless so I did not feel like dealing with it in the parking lot.

(all trail names are best guesses)
    I drove home picked up my other bike and rode at Lehigh. I parked at the bottom rode on Stinger to the fire road that connects Powerline to Deer Path. I rode down to Powerline and took that to Ono. I rode (and walked) some very rocky trail and I got a little lost (stopped and took this picture)

But eventually ended up on a the trail that comes out by the softball fields. From there I crossed the road ( I still have never made the short steep climb up to the trail) and hung a right, paralleled the road and went up and down and rode out to the parking lot. Rode up the access road to the water tower and headed down to the road via the disc golf course. Then I picked up Deer Path and rode down to Stinger and I was back to the car.

Thanks to the guy with the chain lube!

More rides to come.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Cool Ride!

Great idea to do a running log of your rides. Hope you can make it up to Wyoming Valley and join us for a few!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Cool idea. Your bike is like a rolling, functional, MTB museum piece!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Cool idea. Your bike is like a rolling, functional, MTB museum piece!
    No kidding! Is that a Paul's rear der? Cross-stop brakes? CBR cranks and all the Ringle' bits too. If that was mine, I'd be afraid to take it down off the wall.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Sounds like a great ride... bummer about the spokes giving out.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

[SIZE=3]Top Line Cranks?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the positive comments.

I bought this bike in 1991. I raced 2 seasons then it sat for a while. Just rebuilt it last year. It has what I think of as a best of old and new parts group. It will be ridden until it dies, as bikes are for riding!

I put "original" next to parts that were on the bike as raced in 1991 -1992. Some of the parts were just in boxes laying around and others I found on that website that sells stuff. I few pieces I bought new.

The Bike:

1991 Yo Eddy Frame (original) - the BB shell was replaced because of rust damage - Bilenky Cycle Works did that and the paint/decals

2007 Walt Works Fork
    Cooks Bros RSR 181mm cranks (original) with Kooka inner and TA middle and outer (24/34/44)
    Crappy Shimano BB - soon to be replaced
    XT 11-30 8sp cassette
    Eggbeater SL pedals
    Ringle Stem
    Answer Hyperlight bar
    Ringle Ground Control Bar Ends
    Paul Thumbies with 8sp Ultegra Shifters
    Sachs Neos front der on Campy clamp
    Precsion Billet rear der with carbon fiber cage
    Grafton speed controller brakes (original)
    Paul Love canti levers
    Mt Titan 28h rims
    DT Revo spokes
    CK hubs
    Ringle Cam-Twist QRs (original)
    Smoke/Dart tires
    Ritchey Foam Grips
    Syncros post
    Perforated Flite Saddle
    Ringle QR (original)
    Fat Chance seat binder (original)
    Ringle H20 cage (original)
    Jagwire Cables and Housing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So, I am sick. I have had a cold since Tuesday and can't seem to get better.

This thread will come back to life soon.

See you then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So I have bronchitis. This sucks. I cannot wait to ride again and post some more pics in this thread. When I am better I will be in touch to go on some rides in some new parks.

See you on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Hey, My shop has a purple ano seatpost that matches perfectly with that bike. Bill would sell it for $10 if you want it. I think it's a 26.8 or 27.2. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So I rode at Jacobsburg today. I have been recovering from bronchitis so I took it easy, but it was great to get back out there.

There was tons of ice so riding was tough for me; I wrecked 5 or 6 times just sliding around on the ice. The tubeless Mountain King SS is great. If there was dirt or rock, the tire was a great performer. In the ice, I was hopeless.

Do studded ice tires really work?

Here are my pics:

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Studded on ice works...

elephant:

Studded tires are the only way to go if you ride ice!

You can make your own fairly cheap if you don't wanna spend the green to go the full route. Don't worry about patterens of applying screws just put one per knob and ride on! I use "Cold Cutters" They are Carbide hexheaded screws. They aren't cheap but since we race Motorcycles/ATV's out of the shop we have'em in stock.

Check out: http://www.icebike.org/

Ever go to Mountain Valley Bicycle shop in East Stroudsburg?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sunday at Jacobsburg:

On the ride over to the park, a silver car with a roof rack and Jersey plates drove up next to me and gave me the thumbs up. Nice to have some support.

So I got some studded tires. One Innova something or other 2.1 and one Kenda Klondike XT 2.1. They were both very difficult to get on and I broke a couple tire levers on the install, but they are on now. So I had no excuses on the ice.

There was not much ice as it happens but quite a bit of snow, so it was slow going for me today. Where there was ice I had no problems so the tires seem to work. I rode the same route I did last week and the pictures are in the same place, too.

The Innova is up front:

As it turns out Grafton Speed Controllers are not really that great in the snow.

The Kenda is in the rear:

The is the same piece of concrete with rocks as in the previous ride pictures:

The bike's pedal is actually resting against the concrete slab:

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode yesterday at Lehigh but I forgot my camera. So here is a description of my ride:

Parked at Brodhead Court and rode up Mountain Drive. Took the trailhead on the right and rode Crazy Bones to Escalator. After I crossed Mountain Drive I went straight up instead of going on Deer Path. Eventually I ran into the trail at the top that parallels the road. I stayed next to the road until it makes a sharp left and goes past some old steps. Then I made a sharp right and rode up the hill that has the concrete of slab along the right. I picked up the singletrack through the woods and headed for the upper parking lot.

From there I went up the service road to the water tower and rode down the trail that is also the tee for a disc golf and goes back to the trail next the road. I took Deer Path, crossed Mountain Drive and turned right on to Stinger. That took me back to the beginning.

The south side of Lehigh was wet and muddy. The top and north side was all snow and ice.

The ride was slow but very rewarding. I was able to clear every rock garden and log except the new fallen trees going up Escalator. The stuff I did not clear the first time I actually went back and tried until I got it. Always made it by the third try. I cleared some stuff I had never made before.

I did the ride on my Yo! and on my ice tires. I find I am more confident on the rigid and the ice tires worked well considering only half the ride had ice.
    Last edited by elephant; 03-02-2008 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So, I rode at Lehigh today. Broke a spoke nipple on my FSA XC-300 front wheel. Earlier in the thread, you may remember, I broke a bunch of rear spoke nipples, I guess now it's time to replace the front nipples. So like before, I went home and got my Yo Eddy and went back to Lehigh to ride.

I decided to try some new trails and see what else Lehigh Mountain had to offer. I parked on Brodhead Court and crossed the street to ride up the end of the DH trail. It was pretty steep, it was pretty muddy, and there was a fair amount of wash out from the water running between the berms and other structures built by the DHers.

After a little bit, I turned to the left, and there was a trail that runs along the mountain, neither constantly climbing or descending. I came to one of those log bridge things--it's like where a log has fallen down, and they build a thing that looks like a ladder going up one side and down another side. The ladder is made of small logs and such from the woods. It was a little tricky to get over, but after a couple of tries I figured it out.

I though that eventually the trail would turn and go up to the top of the mountain, but it didn't, so I turned around. I rode back to the log with the bridge. Going the other way, I made it over the first time. I stopped to take some pictures, and decided I should ride back across just to prove to myself I could do it both ways.

That was not a good idea. On the down side of the log crossing, my front wheel came off of the ladder, got lodged behind another log lying next to the trail, and I was lying (or laying--whichever is correct) face down in a pile of leaves, rocks, and sticks. When I got up to shake it off, I realized I had injured myself. I walked back to my car. Yes, walked. Slightly dazed. I got my wife to drive me to the emergency room, where luckily I was told I have only severely contused my left tricep. Oh yeah, and my head ran into a tree, but it is the tricep that is really in a lot of pain. The head seems fine.

When I got home, I found a stick lodged between my freewheel and the spokes of my wheel, essentially making my bike a fixed gear. It seems this may have contributed to the wrecking.

Sorry no pictures, and it looks like I'll be taking a couple weeks off. Hope you guys are all out there riding and having fun as the weather gets good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

elephant:

Sorry to hear about your accident.
    Hope your back up and riding really soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My injury is a torn brachialis. It hurts a little and it has a lump in it. The doctor said it was "hamburger" so he could not do anything but wait to see if it heals. I am allowed to ride but I am not supposed to wreck, especially if if I am going to fall on my left arm - more on that later. No weights, no heavy lifting, etc.

OK, I can ride again.

I rode about 10 miles on the 14th - a mix of road and the canal path. Boring ride but it was nice to get back out there.

I rode the 19th in the Southern Alleghenies. It is absolutely the best XC riding. Big elevation changes, no rock gardens, miles and miles of trails. If you are looking for UCI World Cup style XC, this place is the real deal. I really wish more parks and MTB clubs would build these types of trails. I forgot my camera. I will definitely bring it next time.

Today I went back to the place where I wrecked - Lehigh Mountain. It is pretty much the exact opposite of SA.

I went to the exact spot where I wrecked and took some photos:

Here is my bike at the log crossing. The bike is on the side I was coming down when I wrecked.

Here is what it looks like from the top (camera resting on the top). Note the tree:

Here is a view standing on the top - be sure to notice the small log sticking off the left side at the very bottom:

Here is a close up of the log on the left. It is nailed to the "ladder" as it is the bottom rung. When I came off the left side of the "ladder" I immediately wedged my tire behind this log and endo-ed:

I landed here and it hurt:

So it turns out I may not be the only one who does not like this particular "ladder". Have a look at the ground on the far left:

I feel better knowing that I am not the only one who thinks the original log crossing is a little crazy. Here is a close up of the new log crossing:

So I decided I needed to do the "ladder" to prove to myself I could do it and my accident was just bad luck and not because I cannot ride (although I need some work). It took about half an hour, but I did the "ladder" both ways multiple times. Getting the courage to ride it in the same direction I wrecked was tough. The other way was not hard at all. Here is a pic of my bike in a conquering pose:

So then I rode around for a while and tried some new trails. At the end of my ride I was standing to power up a short climb when my front wheel washed out and I fell on my left side. I banged my elbow pretty good, but luckily I missed the spot I injured before. My arm is sore and I have some more swelling, but I think I will be OK.
    Last edited by elephant; 04-22-2008 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode at Green Lane Park, Mont Co. and I forgot my camera.

Today was my first time there and I really liked the ride.

I parked off of Knight Road and did the "Red Trail". So here is my complaint about the park:

There are no blazes anywhere in the park. Usually "Red Trail" would have red blazes on trees and such, making it easy to follow. There are some numbers on some plastic posts but not the same numbering system as the park map. So they have a map with a trail called "Red Trail" and numbers on some trails, but no corresponding markers anywhere in the park. And the map has no North indicator and no mileage key. Minor problems but a little annoying.

It is a great park. Excellent trails for XC and I think I will take my Yo Eddy there. Green Lane is the best XC park near me - about 31 minutes from home. I'll be spending a lot of time at Green Lane. It would be better if it had more elevation, but you cannot have it all. It would be great if more parks built trails in the style of Green Lane.

Anyone got a GPS map of Green Lane Red Trail?
    Last edited by elephant; 04-24-2008 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hello there:

I went to Green Lane and did the Red Trail again. Very nice ride - fast and fun - I did 10 miles in about 1:10.

Anyone got a GPS map of Green Lane? I was able to follow the Red Trail a little better today but there is still one section I cannot figure out.

I forgot the camera, but I will definitely bring it to Blue Marsh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You tried Core Creek Elephant? Seems that the trails there would match your riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No, but I'll look into it.

Thanks.

So I looked and it is about an hour from my place. I'll try to get there this summer.
    Last edited by elephant; 05-08-2008 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I went to Blue Marsh today with some other riders from MTBR. This park is great. I absolutely love this place and I will try to get there every chance I get. It is the best XC riding I have been on in a long while.

I rode with, Stick, Nhurd, Stranger Steve, Wilhelm, and two other guys (who do not have MTBR names and I do not want to use real names without permission).

There was a wreck that sent a rider home and his ride had to go with him. I know I speak for all of us when I say, we hope you get better and get back on the trails.

No rain, despite the forecast. We did 23 miles. Here are pictures of our bikes at the halfway point:

Above left to right: Wilhelm, Stranger Steve, elephant, Stick, Nhurd

See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    I got this thing started a few months back and couldn't make it due to injuries. Glad you had a great ride! Keep your eyes out for a group ride in the fall!

Wish I could have been there! See you next time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Latest news:

I injured my knee pretty badly riding at Blue Marsh back in May. I strained my hamstring and was not able to walk or ride without constant clicking and popping in the back of my knee. I had it looked at immediately - the Monday after the ride - and have been doing rehab ever since. Because it hurt I was walking funny and this caused a few more problems, but a few weeks it all started to get better.

I still have some pain and discomfort but it is definitely getting better. I cannot ride uphills really and I have been slowly lowering my saddle, about 5mm total, to put less stress on the hamstring. Seems to be working.

I have been riding for 20 minutes just around the farm where I live to warm up my legs before I do my stretching routine. Not really riding worth posting about, but it is getting me back in the saddle.

Two weeks ago, I did a short ride in Allentown at the Parkway (gravel path next to the river - not sure what it is really called) with a group of kids from where I volunteer. Not really mountain biking but a ride nonetheless. I felt OK after this ride, but not great.

So for my first real ride I went with my brother to Green Lane on July 4th and again forgot my camera. It was a good ride. We did about 75% of the red trail and it took about an hour. My leg has felt pretty good so I will continue with my program.

Hope to see you out on the trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Sounds like your getting back on track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast