mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Eastern PA Riding?

My wife and I are considering relocating to Eastern Pennsylvania from the Northern Virginia area. We would be like to be within a 20-30 minute commute to Trenton, NJ. Anyone have a comparison of the riding opportunities there compared to DC Metro area.

How far away would trails be that compare to:

Wakefield
    Fountainhead
    Gambril and the Frederick Watershed
    George Washington National Forest

Is there a city or town that one would recommend.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its quite a bit rockier in general in E. PA than the DC area, so its a tough call to recommend similar trails. 20-30 minutes from Trenton puts you along the 611 corridor just north of Philly, so places like Neshaminy HS or Bellmont would be the closest spots in general. There is a plan to put trails in at Nockamixon, and you would be within an hour of quite a bit of riding in the Lehigh Valley area, French Creek, Wissahickon, etc....come on up for a long weekend, bring your bikes and have a look around. Philly MTB (http://www.phillymtb.org/) lists rides and events, as does Valley Mountain Bikers (bikevmb.com) Both groups are full of friendly people who would be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mercer Country Park across the river in NJ would be there too. I have no ability to compare places for you. I've only ridden Carvin's Cove in VA, and it certainly had more elevation than anything you will find too close to Philly/Trenton. Blue Mountain would be within reach as well, but that lift assisted riding is a different thing all together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Relative to areas to look at for housing, try the Newtown-Yardley area, right across the river from Trenton. Nice neighborhoods, good schools (if that's important). Only place I've ridden in the DC area was Schaffer's in MD so can't compare. However, there will be plenty of riding opportunities within 10-60 minutes of the Newtown/Yardley area, ranging from fast and flowy (e.g. Core Creek in Newtown and Clayton, 6-mile, Mercer - all in NJ) to hilly, rooty and rocky (Neshaminy, Bald Pate, High Rocks, Wissahickon). Not a bad area for Mtn Biking.
    It's all good

HopHeads, Unite!
    The guy is used to rocks if he rides the Shed and the GW, Nothing in eastern PA is going to surprise him.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mr Softee, my wife and relocated from Leesburg, Va to the Philadelphia area a few years ago. The easy part for us was we're originally from Pa, so we know this part of the state really well.

Hit me up with a PM if you want more detailed comparison information of the trails, or information about living. I've ridden all the trails in the DC/Va you've referenced, with the exception of George Washington National Forest. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the area has to offer!!!

You can live in PA and still commute easily to Trenton, and have the option of hitting 3 different trail systems. Or, drive 30-45 minutes in any direction and hit more trails. Very good vibe for riding here.

Old dog..New tricks
    Jim Thorpe would be about 1 1/2 hours away in PA some really good riding there
    Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them!!!