mtbr member

The Easter "Tick"....

.....Its that time of year again! Woke up on Easter and before hiding the baskets and eggs headed out for a hike up on the mountain......went to clean up for the festivities and found this dude on me! Not sure how long he had been there but it was the classic bullseye with his back end sticking out. Hearing from a few that i should call the doctor and get meds....anybody else had any experience with this? Thx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Easter "Tick"....-002_800x450.jpg  

The Easter "Tick"....-023_800x600.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Wizard of the Trail
    I EFFIN hate ticks!!!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Blue Pig
    I HIGHLY doubt it's gonna carry anything or your body will have a reaction to it.

Just smoosh it!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Yuck...I had one on me last weekend from a walk in the Nescopeck State Park. The whole area is just loaded with them. And the small ones are the deer ticks, which you know are the worst kind.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'd probably get it checked out, Lyme disease is some scary, scary sh!t.

banned
    Apr 2009
    What is a good tick spray to use?

Wizard of the Trail
    I use Permethrin for my clothes. It lasts two week even with washing and kills ticks on contact. I use ultra thon by 3m for my skin. 3m actually makes this stuff for the military.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Did you ever have ham?
    Just to play safe, I would follow Wyatt's advice and get that checked ASAP!!! Don't want to see anything bad happen to you, big guy!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

I find far more ticks at Mountain Top then any other trails that I ride. In the summer, I usually find 1 or 2 dog ticks after a ride - my personal "best" is 13. Though I've yet to see a deer tick or end up with a bullseye.

Jeff, if it was a deer tick, I'd probably call a doc.

ganginwood
    i'm pretty sure a deer tick wouldn't be that large.

but...wood/dog ticks can carry rocky mountain spotted fever, tularema, and something else....but i don't remember what.

really strange seeing that in mountain top. i thought they leaf blew the ticks off the trails up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Nothing that a little Doxycycline can't take of Jeff. Riding up here I find several ticks on me throughout the year and usually do a prophylactic routine of Doxy just in case.

According to the CDC website this area has a low incidence of Lyme disease, though I know several people that have tested positive.

Ganginwood....are you thinking about encephalitis?
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

mtbr member

Thanks.....

.....for the advice. Not sure where i got the tick but it could have been when we were kayaking the Nescopeck Creek between the park and 309 or up on Tattoo Alley on Easter morning. Anyways...ended up going the prophylactic route with Doxycycline, 2 100mg capsules. My doctor said the vaccine is in his opinion not very effective and has stopped giving it. Thanks again, Ride on!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Scary for sure. I know a few riders that have been hit with lyme. Luckily while, I've found ticks on me, none had embedded yet. If I ever find one that I have to yank, off to the doc I go. Really scary part is not everybody has a local reaction to the deer tick bite/lyme disease transfer and they never know about it until they show advanced symptoms.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

banned
    Apr 2009
    I find far more ticks at Mountain Top then any other trails that I ride. In the summer, I usually find 1 or 2 dog ticks after a ride - my personal "best" is 13.
    Are you using any tick spray?