mtbr member
    Mar 2008

eales preserve? scranton area?

So I'm heading up to scranton this weekend to take a ride with a friend. I've been checking into which trails there are for us and am thinking eales preserve looks pretty good. Any suggestions on which route I should take?

OR any other places I should check out that may be better? I'm looking for a longer ride, technical but not super tough. So far I've read that lackawanna state park is easy, merli is pretty tough and im not sure what else might be out there.

thanks in advance :-)

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    eales preserve is a fun mix, search for a map to get the trail names but here is one good route that i like...

Eales Preserve Moosic Mountain

Moon Lake park at the other end of the valley (up hwy 29, north of Nanticoke) also has good ride potential. The main entrance is on Atherton Rd IIRC.

I'd offer to guide on one or the other but can't, hopefully someone else will chime in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    great! that loops with the bonus was pretty much what I had in mind by looking at the map, thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I think you'll really like Blueberry trail, great scenery!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow moon lake looks cool too, and I've never been in that area (used to live up that way)

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I felt like Moosic Mtn was unlike anything I had previously ridden in Pennsylvania. Up on top of the mountain riding across limestone really gives you this feeling of being someplace else.

Moon is traditional Pennsylvania rocky, twisty, short-burst singletrack.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't think you will be disappointed if you ride Moosic Mtn (Eales Preserve) or Moon Lake. Both are equally good rides with plenty of single track littered with rocks and roots. Moosic Mtn has some awesome views.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How is eales in/after rain? Weather is calling for rain tonight into tomorrow *when i plan on going* with scattered tstorms all day... Is it a nightmare wet?

Moosic is one of the best places to ride in the area during or immediately after rain. Everything is conglomerate rock... still excellent traction when wet.

mtbr member
    Blueberry is a great trail to go up, or to come back down. Conglomerate, The View and Stonehenge are the rocky trails there. They're techy and slow. All together there's about 17 miles of trails. If you end up going down gene trail to Connors damn, then you have to peddle back up, up, up Connors Trail, 1 Last Climb and Bruised Ego. Though there's not that much climbing, you'll probably be exhausted after riding it because it's techy. Ttyl, Fahn

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    rain may soften up blueberry, bones, waterfall ... but unless there is more than an inch or three i'd not worry about it.

as of last friday it was all in pretty good shape, but there were a few puddles here n there, and clear water draining down waterfall at the expected spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So I hit eales today. Out here in Harrisburg i've yet to find any trails remotely like that. It was a lot of fun but man is it really rocky! I started off up blueberry, then I just kept taking right turns, I couldn't really tell where I was most of the time after the end of blueberry where a gate says pink floyd trail and to the left is an actual single track. High voltage was great, i assume thats the power lines, down hill rocky, fast, awesome. I also saw genes trail and hit that, otherwise nothing else was really marked that I could tell. We ended up at a pond, and rode out to the road, took 247 back to the car, we were absolutely beat and some guy at the pond said we had a long ride up hill on the trail to get back.

All in all it was a lot of fun, i should have brought more calories to keep the energy up.

Thanks for the tips! Moon lakes next on my agenda.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    after looking at the map again it looks like i went blueberry, to some unmapped trail that was quite long and took me to waterfall, to high voltage, genes and quit at the pond.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by criddopher View Post

Thanks for the tips! Moon lakes next on my agenda.
    pm Me if your coming to MooN

mtbr member
    The unmapped trail was Bones. That trail was put in after the last map update. The day after we completed it, someone found a dead guys body just feet from the trail... Bones!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I enjoyed riding Lakawanna State Park when I was up there. Is that not a go to place for the locals?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Comer View Post
    I enjoyed riding Lakawanna State Park when I was up there. Is that not a go to place for the locals?
    Yes, lots of locals ride and do trail work there! Glad you enjoyed it!