Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Droppers

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  dirtrider76 
#1 ·
I don't see a lot of dropper posts locally. Who out there uses one in PA and how much do you value it out on the trails? I've been looking at Gravity dropper mostly due to reliablity and also the 27.2 size. I found the turbo for $245 and classic for $210 and I have the extra money so I'm trying to determine how much I'll really use it. I do stop a few times on a typical ride to change my seat height and I imagine that I'll use it even more once it's just a lever away. I'm ready to buy one but kind of worry I'm buying into the hype. I'm not one of those people who spends $60 per tire so $200+ is a lot for a seatpost no matter how I look at it. Just looking from opinions from local riders who ride the same type of terrain that I do.

#2 ·
What part of PA? I live in Pittsburgh and have been running a GD for over a year. Friend just bought one too and he loves it. Totally worth the cost and extra 1lb of weight. Go for the 1" and 3" option. You'll have WAY more control of your bike on downhills (of any variety) and rolling over obstacles.

#6 ·
I'm in the harrisburg area. I'm looking at the 1"/4" post. I know for sure that I want the 1" drop and the 4" multi position post is the one on sale.

Wow, that was an overwhelming response from everyone. I was already 90% decided and that was the push I needed. Now, does anyone using a gravity dropper have an opinion on whether the turbo is worth the extra $35? I have a feeling that I'll go the Turbo route unless someone says it's not worth the money.

Thanks everyone -

#3 ·
I've been surprised at how much I've grown to appreciating the dropper I put on my bike last fall. I picked it up new Specialize Command Post Blacklite from a friend - he got a new bike that it came with but didn't want it, so I got a bargain.

The dropper has been very very useful to me around PA. I set the saddle height at max extension for perfect pedalling height - which is higher than I like for rougher trail riding - and then use the 30mm down position for rough trail sections. Having the ability to quickly slam the saddle all the way has added a bunch of fun and comfort to some of the longer descents.

I have had two durability issues with mine. The firast was that the remote died after about 4 months of use (pivot axle broke up), I replaced it with a Kind Shock remote that appears dramatically better built. The second failure was last weekend the fixing bolt for the seat clamp snapped off while I was adjusting the seat angle. I'd had a crash that moved it a bit so needed to correct the tilt. When I went back to tighten the bolt it broke off.

Argh. 37 cent bolt broken preventing me from enjoying the ride with the post.

But the rest of the post has been flawless, winter or summer and everything in between.

Good luck with your decision.

#5 ·
People think droppers are just for steep downhills and thus, think they might be overkill for the typical SE PA trails. I know, I thought like they were. Boy, was I wrong. A dropper post is the single biggest thing I have added to my bike, since going dual suspension. I use it probably more than I use my shifter! On every slightly downhill trail, I use it. It feels like I have a dual slalom bike and I can turn harder and flick the bike all around. I am a big dude (6'1" but with 36" inseam) and have always felt a bit wobbly on my bikes. A dropper takes care of that. Really an essential piece of equipment if you ask me. Increases the fun factor a ton.

#8 ·
I loooooove mine. I also have a Spesh Blacklite. I very much enjoy the three preset positions- my friend just bought one that is infinitely adjustable, and he finds it a bit cumbersome to find the "right" point on the fly.

I don't just use it for downhill, either. On sections where there are a lot of rollers and stuff, it makes it way easier to pump the bike below me.

#10 ·
You will love it. I installed a gravity dropper turbo LP on my stache 7 about two weeks ago. ( 1in and 4in drop) The best upgrade I have ever made. I feel like a kid again flicking around my bike without the seat up my a@# ...and I'm a Clyde at 6"3 290#. I ride Rocky ridge. Swatara . Lake Redman. And white clay creek in DE. I will never ride without one again.
Ps. I also run MKII. 2.4 front and rear. Great tire for this area.

#11 ·
I ride with one in SWPA. I would put it this way: it is most certainly something you can ride without, but it is really nice to have at times. Plenty of my riding is done with my seat at the height I kept it before I had a dropper, but I would say 30% of the time I lower it for either rough sections or downhills and then there are the occasional times on a fire road or even pavement when it's nice to get higher than I normally ride. Can you live without it? Yes. Will you appreciate having it? Yes.

#12 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Well just to show that I didn't ask everyone's opinion for nothing....here she is! The Turbo LP model showed up to my pleasant surprise. Fast shipping too from UK via DHL (first experience with both Chain Reaction and DHL). I ordered Monday evening and it showed up Thursday at 10am.

#15 ·
It matches the boot up front ;)

I'll most likely just leave the boot on unless it doesn't stay in place or something. I still have to do a final cable routing, just put it on with a zip tie for now because I HAD to play with it. Going to run it along the underside of the top tube using the supplied cable attachments.

#17 ·
The biggest hurdle with the dropper post ( I have a reverb) is to remember to take advantage of it. I am sure it will become second nature eventually.
It is useful for a lot of things I didn't anticipate...
Getting under low branches
Getting re-started on a techy climb.
setting the sag on my rear shock.
improved climbing - my max extension matches my road bike. If you don't appreciate that, lower your seat an inch and try to climb in the saddle.
And obviously descending and riding log overs and gnar.
As someone mentioned, it may get equal use to my rear shifter eventually.

#18 ·
I'm in the Downingtown area and my locals trails are marsh creek, harmony hill and white clay isnt too far at all. I run a Kindshock Lev and absolutely love it. Just sold my bike and had to buy a new one for my new bike, not having it is not an option.

#20 ·
I didn't think a dropper was even an option for me, with my 27.2 posted Rush. Then I saw your bike and went 'WAIT A MINUTE'. I'm always slower than the guys I ride with on the downs because I have my bike set up for climbing (high seatpost, low handlebars). Last week we did the downhill from the top of the Broad Mt. down into Jim Thorpe. I stopped to get my 5mm wrench out and lowered the seat. The downhill was unbelievably fun with the seat out of the way, and I actually caught up to and passed my buddies! Though I'm not fond of adding weight or complexity, I'm now giving serious thought to a dropper.

#23 ·
I know the OP already bought a post by I also run a dropper and ride eastern PA. I went with the KS eTen not knowing if it was something I was going to like or not I stayed on the budget side. Post has been flawless so far and although I didnt think I'd use it much I use it all the time. From moving it on the fly to simply lowering it when coming to a stop to dismount its not a bad thing. Oh and since I ride a 9spd it fit's nicely where the left shifter would be:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.