Thread: Dreary Erie

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Dreary Erie

I'm going to be traveling to Erie in a couple weeks and am debating whether or not to bring my bike. Are there any decent trails? I saw some stuff for Asbury Woods and Highmeyer Park, but both look pretty small and on the easy side. If these are even half-decent I'll probably bring my bike just to get out. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What about the Wintergreen Gorge? Is that good?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    OK. The trip is complete. I know I'm the only one replying to my messages, but thought I'd put my comments about the trails here just in case someone else ever is looking for the same info.

Wintergreen Gorge (Penn State Behrund Campus) - The trails here were not in such great shape. The trail construction is largely conducive to erosion. The trails were somewhat difficult in spots, but overall the trails I rode weren't terribly impressive. I found it hard to string together a good loop and became frustrated with the dead ends. Some of the log crossings and other features were in disrepair. I had a decent time, but felt the trails weren't harnessing the potential of the area. My favorite stretch of trail ran along the ridge of a cliff above the creek. The best part about these trails is that I could ride to them (5 miles) via the bike path along the Bayfront Connector. There might be some better trails in the gorge, but I didn't find them.

Asbury Woods - At first I was a little worried. The trails started off wide and easy. It took me a while to find the singletrack. The best trails might have been on private property, but they looked well-traveled. I had fun doing the mini-DH runs. I also found a nice XC section up the hill from a bridge that crosses the creek, before the fields. I spent a few hours in the park. I didn't put in a ton of mileage, but I had a lot of fun. I have a feeling I missed a lot (I never crossed Millfair Rd). I'd ride Asbury again in a heartbeat.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Erie's soil type and bedrock make it very difficult to keep trails dry.

I'm interested to try Highmeyer Park in Harborcreek Twp.

I've ridden Asbury and Wintergreen. Seems to me that there is an established MTB community in the area...but they arent very online-oriented.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, Wintergreen gorge doesn't have too much as far as I found either...mostly a brutal uphill for 1/2 hour, then rocket back down dodging dogs and 4 year-olds for 2 min and you're done.

Asbury is fun, but only for an hour or 2. Lotsa dogs too. Not really a wilderness feel.

IMO, the area's best riding isn't even in PA...it's over by Sherman NY...

http://hikechautauqua.wordpress.com/...verland-trail/

As with everyplace around dr(erie), you can't really ride for 3-4 days after a rain, and it takes a solid week of dry weather for the trail to get fast.
    whatever...

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Yeah its wet here, so respect the trails.

Spring @ Highmeyer is wet. There is a mtbr member jra146psu that lives close to there and I am sure he would appreciate anybodys interest in riding and helping to improve Highmeyer Park. Drainage is the issue in alot of areas, so bring your shovel, and if you own a mtb and not a shovel, shame on you.

See Highmeyer Park thread for more details.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Groups ride Asbury Tuesday and Thursday at 6:00pm, Sunday at 9:00am.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was lucky. My visit was preceded by a week of little, if any, rain. The trails were nice and dry. Next time I might try out Highmeyer Park (whenever next time will be).

Usually when I go to Erie to visit friends, I don't feel like driving. I live in KY, so it's already a long drive anyway.