mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Downhillin at Mt. Penn, Reading, Antietam.6/21. Who is in?

Hello everyone. I am a fairly new mountainbiker. I started riding lasy yr. in March. I then purchased a downhill bike in December. I live in Mt. Penn so I have gotten to downhill up on the mountain. I am looking to rent a Uhaul truck or something similar to use as a vehicle to get a bunch of bikes back to the top of the many downhill runs in the area. I have talked to someone about doing this and they said that we would need at least 10 people to make it worthwhile. If you have never been riding here or have been here for the Duryea Downhill or would like to ride with other downhillers please show how much interest you have and let us all know who would be interested. This is going to be run at a fun pace because there will be many skill level riders. I myself do not race and haven't gotten out enough on my downhill bike. I get out at least once a week on my Kona and love to ride at French Creek which is rocky riding.

The White Jeff W
    Make sure you get $$$ from people up front. If you get 10 people to say they'll go only 4 will show up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hope Doesn't anyone ride downhill in Reading anymore?

I thought someone would have responded to this but I guess not. Anyway the date of this event will change to sometime in July. Probably July 12th or something. Would anyone be interested?

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    Hello everyone. I am a fairly new mountainbiker. I started riding lasy yr. in March. I then purchased a downhill bike in December. I live in Mt. Penn so I have gotten to downhill up on the mountain. I am looking to rent a Uhaul truck or something similar to use as a vehicle to get a bunch of bikes back to the top of the many downhill runs in the area. I have talked to someone about doing this and they said that we would need at least 10 people to make it worthwhile. If you have never been riding here or have been here for the Duryea Downhill or would like to ride with other downhillers please show how much interest you have and let us all know who would be interested. This is going to be run at a fun pace because there will be many skill level riders. I myself do not race and haven't gotten out enough on my downhill bike. I get out at least once a week on my Kona and love to ride at French Creek which is rocky riding.
    I would probably be interested, possibly a couple of my friends. I will need a definite date. If somebody has a utility trailer and a big van with a hitch, it could be done a little cheaper, maybe... a few 2x4s to build racks down each side to prop bikes up by their crown/headtubes.

On another note, I live in Bloomsburg and might be willing to head down even without a shuttle run if somebody in the area would like to be a guide for the day.

Jamie
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Date change!

Right now it looks as if July 12th is the day. I don't have a big van with a hitch but if someone does we could just rent a trailer from Uhaul. Its costs about 20 dollars for a day. That would be the cheaper route to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    dammit. If I had a downhiller I'd be all over this as it's my backyard. But my little XC C-dale wouldn't take too kindly to that. We should all head over the French Creek one weekend and ride there too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

downhillin mt. penn

2 to 6 riders are up there every weekend .ride time 1:00 p.m. at the tower . bring $5.00 for gas and your in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideu
    bring $5.00 for gas and your in.
    Damn times have changed haha....

I remember back in RR's prime we would have close to 20+ people, everyone just enjoying the "bro" atmosphere and shuttling in anything from minivans, to trucks, to firetrucks (that was before the dominant gas mizer 2 bike del sol rack hit the scene) haha. the best part was no one asked anyone for money, it was all in love of the sport.

(BTW - that was not meant as in insult, just kinda like, damn gas prices are really taking their toll, you are not unjustified for asking a small fee for providing shuttling to strangers, not at all)

Are you just shuttling with your trucks/or w/e vehicles you may be driving, or are you renting a Uhaul as well?

We road up there ALL winter, fixing up all the trails we could (and by fix I mean cutting sections of 18"+ trees to provide trail clearance, MASSIVE raking efforts, and equally massive leaf blowing. Not to mention lots of lip maintanence, rock "gardening", and new trail construction - the legal kind) How are the trails holding up? Maybe I've seen you up there before, I need to get out and ride again haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah i remember the rr days i was on the team.but that's over and we all must move on. first off ,thanks for the cutting and trail maint.we need to all get together and really get it rockin up there we are shuttling in a pick up and even a van when that guy can make it.so 10 riders is the limit ,unless someone else has a truck .the gas thing sucks but the guy with the truck shouldn't have to pay for everybody.1:00p.m ride time , sunday ,maybe saturday. .i will post fri. night or sat. morning if sat. is a go.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yea not saying "I wish it was still the RR days" at all. I think we've (as a local biking community) moved on, maybe for the better who knows, all except for one mtn laural issue by those who won't be named haha.
    Last edited by mobile chernobyl; 07-08-2008 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It seems as if we may have something going here for the 12th of July. I have also talked to a couple of other people that might be interested in going. I am just waiting for responses. I would like to make this happen. It would be cool to DH without having to do the vehicle shuffle. I don't have a price for the rental but I did call two places Penske who's price was 29.99 to rent .89 cents a mile and gas back in when done. That was a 15' truck. Uhaul was cheaper at 19.99 to rent, .59cents a mile and gas in when done. That was a 14' truck. I don't know how far in advance you have to book these things but If this is gonna happen I need a count of how many people are going to do this. My guess is if we have at least 10 people it might cost 15 dollars, but this is only a rough figure. 10 people times 15 dollars is 150 dollars. 20 to rent maybe. I cant see us putting on more than 70 miles 41.30. That leaves the rest 88.70 for gas and tax. I don't know maybe I am way off here. Anyway let me know if you are interested and how many people you have. Who knows maybe we will have so many that we will need a bigger truck (nice)

Thanks, Paul

mtbr member
    Bump.

Anyone still planning on coming this weekend? I am definitely in for Saturday big truck or not. I will probably have two others with me too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i know sunday at1:00 is more likley ,nothing def. yet to early in the week . i'll call some locals. i would be down for sat. what time? dawgdeluxepaul crashed hard and can't ride for 4 weeks

mtbr member
    I would be down for Sunday, doesn't matter much to me.

So, I know someone else asked before...but are you Dave? If so, this is Chris...from the Noah, Simon and Chris crew...you might remember me.

Anyhow, give me a call too 610-301-8541

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah I'm out for a few weeks. Hurt my shoulder. I also wrecked my fork on another occasion My Manitou Travis ceased on me. I have to go get it looked at.

mtbr member
    That sucks man. Fortunately shoulders heal up pretty quick. I think you'll probably just need a new cartridge in that thing, not sure how much that will cost.

I'll be in the shop till 5 tomorrow, if you get a chance drop it off there and we'll get it figured out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was actually trying to call the shop today after work about 3:30 thru 3:50 and got a busy signal a few times. Maybe I will bring it in. I might only get there around 4:30 or so, maybe a little sooner. I am done working in the Poconos and I am only working 20 to25 mins. away. Once my shoulder heals up(hopefully sooner than later ) and my bike is fixed we can do a couple of runs after work or something. It just figures that I am finally working close by and I go and wreck my shoulder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode at reading this weekend. Felt good to get out haha.

Only major trail maintainence that I saw was:

Danes run is hella overgrown after you cross the road from deer head. (rotary park/resevoir side)

I wish I woulda taken a weedwacker with me, but just giving anyone that wants to ride that (kickass) trail the heads up that it is in essence a tube of foliage that you cant see 5 feet ahead of you in spots. If anyones hitten it up and is local and feels like wackin some weeds go for it. If not we'll try and take care of it. Oh and kinda old news, but after the road gappish drop at the end of the higher speed section, and going into the pine trees section - looks like some nature nazi's or hippies took out the small log crossing jumps we put in. Kinda sucks cause it completely kills the flow, so if you feel like making jumps, do it there, but do it caringly cause its close to the parkinglot and people prolly walk up that far. Again, not telling anyone to do this, just listing it as something that can be done if your looking for some way to improve Mt. Penns 5 star trail system.

Later on dudez

mtbr member
    Yeah, I rode that trail last week and was pretty surprised to see how quickly it grew over. I had my grass whip ready to go and all intentions of cleaning that out this week, but unfortunately I am now broken as well after riding dirt jumps in Downingtown on Sunday. Collarbone fracture and a broken rib. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is this the month of injury or what first me, then DD now you ,WTF! Hope you get better soon. I am finally getting better about 65%

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Damn,it sounds pretty tempting up there.You guys should put on a local DH race somethime int the fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

lets ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shuttle at 11:00 am sunday at the tower,who's in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Still gotta get that fork looked at. My shoulder finally feels better but I wouldnt be able to go tomorrow anyway. Ive got to take my bike into the shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    how about a xc/all mountian ride today ? around 3:00 can you get ahold of sell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dude, that would be awesome If I could go. I cant, I am booked all weekend. Its been a couple of weeks since Ive been riding up there. Since I fell like a moron. I would be up to do this one day this week. After 4:00 PM. I don't know how your schedule is. I took my kids out to Blue Marsh this morning. We rode from the Stilling Basin past the State Hill boat launch a little and back. They had a blast. I wish I wasn't jammed all weekend but today I am booked solid and tomorrow we have to take my daughter up to the Poconos for camp. I might try to persuade my wife to get back by 5 oclock and do a a ride after 5:30 or 6. Maybe. I dont know what sell is up to. Didn't you have a spill a week or so ago?