Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20

    downhill in centeral pa

    hey guys does anyone know if there is a downhill course in centeral pa..or should i drive 3+ hours to ride at a resort?

    anyone up for building one??

  2. #2
    Dr. Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    183
    Blue Knob but I think they only have the lifts running during a race weekend.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    92

    Ski Denton Downhill

    Ski Denton is only two hours from state college.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    66
    There are some awesome DH trails in Reading. Park at the Firetower on Skyline Drive. Shuttling is best, but I was there solo yesterday, sessioning sections at a time. Drop me an email, I'd be happy to show you around some weekend.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    not much of anything near selinsgrove. you're not terribly far from denton, so that's where i'd start looking.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    alright, thanks. i found this jeep trail on shade mountain i think its called, its all rocks all the way down, its pretty tough but still fun! you have to park at the top and have someones car at the bottom and stuff cause its a looooooong way back up

    i heard the race at blue knob this weekend was canceled is that true? are there any other races anywhere because i cant find anything

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    yeah, i'm pretty sure that blue knob got dropped. no idea of anything else remotely close. i heard whitetail started servicing bikes again.

    good luck

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    ah that sucks, oh well..thanks tho!

  9. #9
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    513
    Hey, I'm going to be heading to near Selinsgrove tomorrow (Middleburg actually) to visit my wife's mom. I'm bringing my bike and was wondering if there is any decent places to ride nearby. Any hill will do - I'm from Wilmington, NC. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz11
    alright, thanks. i found this jeep trail on shade mountain i think its called, its all rocks all the way down, its pretty tough but still fun! you have to park at the top and have someones car at the bottom and stuff cause its a looooooong way back up

    i heard the race at blue knob this weekend was canceled is that true? are there any other races anywhere because i cant find anything
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    what kinda riding do u do because pretty much the only thing around here is that jeep trail and it is one giant rock garden, if your more of an xc rider i couldnt tell ya. I have to work tommorow actually from 1-5 but after that i might be able to ride, we'll see

  11. #11
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    theres not much in the way of downhill around, but good rocky x-c stuff either back at rattling creek near Lykens, up at RB Winter state park/bald eagle state forest on route 144 or over in state college in Rothrock state forest. not sure of the best way of getting maps for rattling creek or RB winter at this point, but you can find maps at www.nittanymba.org of the Rothrock stuff in state college. all those spots are probably 45 minutes from where youre staying give or take 15 minutes.

  12. #12
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    513
    How do you get there? I'll likely bring my FR bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz11
    what kinda riding do u do because pretty much the only thing around here is that jeep trail and it is one giant rock garden, if your more of an xc rider i couldnt tell ya. I have to work tommorow actually from 1-5 but after that i might be able to ride, we'll see
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    in middleburg, you take 104 S up past the golf course on the right, you go up over the hill, you will see a bar and its the first road on the right. its like a dirt/stone road, you'll know your on it. you take that to the top, its just a little farther than you think it should be, the trail head is on the right, i think its called the furnace trail? but it comes out on huckelberry road. if your mother is a local she'l know where it is. your gonna need two cars, one at the top and one at the bottom unless you wanna hike it and believe me you dont!!

  14. #14
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    513
    Maybe my wife can drop me off and pick me up otherwise I'm gonna be hiking!


    Quote Originally Posted by drz11
    in middleburg, you take 104 S up past the golf course on the right, you go up over the hill, you will see a bar and its the first road on the right. its like a dirt/stone road, you'll know your on it. you take that to the top, its just a little farther than you think it should be, the trail head is on the right, i think its called the furnace trail? but it comes out on huckelberry road. if your mother is a local she'l know where it is. your gonna need two cars, one at the top and one at the bottom unless you wanna hike it and believe me you dont!!
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    yeah that would be the way to go! dude i would go with you but i have to work every day for the next 2 months..no days off haha its gonna suck! anyway have a great time!! hope ya find everything alright! tell me what you think then!

  16. #16
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    513
    I went and rode Shade Mtn today. My wife dropped me off at 104 and Shade Mtn Rd. That was a mistake. What a climb! It felt like six miles of uphill to the trailhead. And it was really hot. I think I also saw a bear run off the road up ahead. As if my heart wasn't pounding enough. I started making lots of noise.

    It was a good loose rocky downhill, the kind that is hard to go fast on because the rocks keep knocking you off your line. Now I know why you have to shuttle - there's no way you'd want to go back up this. When I got back down, I couldn't call my wife because I have no cell phone signal (Sprint sucks!) so I just rode about 5 miles on 522 back to the house. Anyway it was fun. Thanks for the directions. Here's a few photos I took along the way.

    The long fireroad climb up:


    The trailhead:


    The trail:


    Got rocks?


    Self-portrait. I had to hurry the bugs were eating me alive!





    Quote Originally Posted by drz11
    yeah that would be the way to go! dude i would go with you but i have to work every day for the next 2 months..no days off haha its gonna suck! anyway have a great time!! hope ya find everything alright! tell me what you think then!
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    im glad you had a good time!! sorry if the directions were vauge though dude!

  18. #18
    Lockport Rippers
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122

    hiddy ho there fellas

    Just throwing this out there for you guys, since we all seem to be looking for freeride type stuff around here. One other guy and myself have been building stuff around the Lock Haven area for about a year, we have an ok start on things and we add on to current trails every week. We have had alot of rain lately so, some of our stuff is not up to riding quality right now, but once the weather gets in line we will start with our freeride trails. We are currently working on dirt jumps since the ground is pretty easy to move. Anyway, enough talking I know we all like to look at pics, so I am not just making this up. So here they are, pics.

    I work at the bike shop (only one) in Lock Haven, the only freeride guy there. Just ask for Duffy. Feel free to come ride or hang out. We are always wanting to hear new ideas on stuff to build or lines to ride. Oh, I may not check this thread that often so go ahead and private message if ya want.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20
    that looks awesome!! my brother and i would be more than happy to help build! hopefully i can get up there soon that looks like fun dude!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •