mtbr member
    May 2004

down hill in pa?

has any body downhilled at blue knob? is it any good? better or worse than mtn. creek?

mtbr member
    I don't think its better than mtn. Creek, and I've never been to either, but last race at Snowshoe a guy I know said Blue Knob was pretty good. I would find out exactly what the deal is concerning when they're open before i went. I think they use a truck to take you back up, but I'm not sure.

the unvarnished nonsense

Blue Knob

We used to ride Blue Knob frequently when we still lived in PA. My wife's family lives about 8 miles away so it was super convenient and a lot of fun. Blue Knob is sort of like two different areas. The ski resort side has the big DH/FR thing going on and truck shuttles are available. Some of the lines they cut over the North Face for the initial Blue Knob Alpine MTB Challenge ('96 or '97?) were extremely treacherous on the old hardtail but rideable.

The other side of the mountain is a State Park, and has many good XC trails, but it took a while to figure out how to make bigger loops out of many shorter trails. The Lost Turkey Trail is about 17 miles and leaves from the top near the antenna, but I believe some of this trail is now off limits, but I'm not to certain as to which part(s). If its open, I'd recommend riding Lost Turkey from the antenna to Bob's Creek Road, past the monument for the Lost Children of the Alleghenies (notice how a lot of things in the area are "LOST"?) to the Burnt House Picnic area. Here you can take the road down to Pavia, then turn into the park and climb back up to the antenna. Or better yet, park at the ranger's office near the lower swimming pool and climb up to the antenna so you don't have to face that climb at the end of the ride. Christ Ridge Trail is worth riding, even though its only 1.5 miles and doesn't really connect well with other trails.

I've never been to the other area you mentioned, so I couldn't possibly compare them.

Here's a pic taken several years ago along the upper XC trails just past the Pavia Outlook:

"Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost