mtbr member
    May 2006

Don Guinella/ O'Hara Conditions

Has anyone been behind Don Guinella recently? Its been maybe 2-3 years since I have been and I remember it was very overgrown the last time I was there. I was thinking about going back there this weekend.

What are the conditions like?

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I was in there a few weeks ago. I hadn't been in there for a while before that. It was OK, real limited. I have been riding Betzwood much more.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Isn't it posted?

Is it still posted...No Trespassing?
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Is it still posted...No Trespassing?
    Yeah, saw signs today along Sproul Road.

mtbr member
    Rode there last summer and it was very overgrown and rutted by what looked like moto tracks. Serious potential though IMO for a cool after work play spot...considering I myself live about 5 minutes from there
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000cx
    Rode there last summer and it was very overgrown and rutted by what looked like moto tracks. Serious potential though IMO for a cool after work play spot...considering I myself live about 5 minutes from there
    me too. I'm in Springifeld but I've honestly never been there.That would be awesome to build that out though I'm not sure how much land is available now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So I went to O'Hara Friday. I parked in the lot in the MAB Building parking lot (the small office building next to the Home Depot) and I didnt see any signs regarding trespassing.

The conditions were ok. There were some spots that were overgrown, but the trail conditions werent too bad. Back in the day, there used to be a trail that went through an opening in the chain link fence closest to the O'Hara soccer fields. You would ride through the fence into a clearing and then eventually dump out into the soccer fields. That entrance in the chain link fence has been since blocked off by a ten foot high wall of dirt and debris. My buddy and I tried to climb to the top, and we could see that the clearing has been completely wiped out by heavy equipment.

In the 5+ years I have been there, it looks like the BMX guys built a few more doubles near the "top" of the trails. There is definitely some tire tracks back there, both BMX, what appears to be MTB and some dirt bikes.

We probably wont ride there again until the fall to let some of the overgrowth fall off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That was my playground growing up, even built a trail or two, and did tons of trail maintenence, but i haven't been riding back there in almost 7 years (college and work). I'm just getting back into riding and haven't taken the full tour yet. (I broke my collarbone going in from kmart). Hopefully i can check it out this weekend.
    Maybe set up a maintenence day if you guys are interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguy
    Maybe set up a maintenance day if you guys are interested.
    I can say for sure that I would be interested if a group tried to set something up...I think the place has potential were it cleaned up a bit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wont be around this weekend- I think I am racing at Iron HIll, but the weekend after next I should be free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Checked the place out on this afternoon. Boy some stuff has changed alot. some are like i remembered. Its been about 8 years since i really rode around in there. Some trails a machete can do quite a bit of work others will almost need a chainsaw to get back into shape. Some trails have gone into obscurity.

There are lots of fallen deadwood and blow downs and some poorly placed (large) rocks. It needs some TLC.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think thats what surprised me the most- the trails that have disappeared into oblivion, especially the trail that used to run parallel to the large hill (we use to call it the "anthill"). The trail I am talking about is the one closest to the chain link fence, the fence that used to border a small clearing that ultimately bordered the soccer and football fields.

I think in the fall the place will clean up nice when some of the overgrowth disappears.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That seemed to got eaten up when they cleared for new stadium they are putting in. The other one the suprised me was if you go left from there cross the stream and up the hill there was a trail that went off to the right (we called that one the straightaway) but instead it goes straight down the chainsaw trail aptly named because thats how we made it.

Some of the stream crossings are pretty vicious though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think I know the trail you are referring to. We tried to get to it but there was too much debris.

There was one stream crossing that gave me an issue. The dropoffs have gotten eaten away. I noticed that the BMX'ers have built up more doubles in the past couple of years.

There is good news. If you ride the trail near the top of the chainlink fence that I spoke of before, the fence is on your right. You eventually go through the section with the jumps and doubles, head down the hill, cross the creek and then head up that monster hill.

Anyway the good news is that five years ago, I could make it maybe halfway up that hill on my best day. First day back after a five year layoff, and I cleaned it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    where are you guys entering at? I think the 'trailheads' by the soccer fields are gone.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I typically park at the MAB building, which is the small building next to the Home Depot. I then ride across Reed Road and enter the woods. There is small entrance in the brush, but you really have to look at for it.

You then proceed to head down a small trail. You'll come to a creek crossing. After we cross the creek, we head to the trail to the left. That trail winds its way up to the school

And your right, the trailhead by the soccer fields in closed for business. Way back when, we used to ride through that clearing, hug the soccer fields and then do a lap around the school and then head back into the woods.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    The first time I went 'clipless' was in here. One of the muddiest days ever. I went back over to BL, Chaya laughted his ass off.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Went in there this morning and parked at the MAB building. As I was loading up my bike to leave a marple police officer was looking real hard at my car, i.e. stopped the car and was looking over at me writing things down. Maybe i am paranoid but i am going to be parking somewhere else from now on. just wanted to let you guys know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting. I know they tried cracking down on the kids drinking in the woods a few years back. The fact that he didnt actually say anything to you makes me wonder what his intentions were. Delco cops arent shy.

I have heard talk that there are no trespassing signs posted somewhere, but I have never seen them

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Last time I was back in these trails I was probably 17 (now 22). I don't recall, but are they even remotely 26" friendly? Are the tranny's ultra steep or what?

If anyone wants to cut some plants down sometime, post it up, I'll join.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    CKxx I think you're talking about the doubles and the jumps back there, which arent 26" friendly, but the rest of the trails are.